Thread: Where to look for, for a list of pagkages in Knoppix 7.2.0 when the link doesnt work?

Senior Member registered user

Where to look for, for a list of pagkages in Knoppix 7.2.0 when the link doesnt work?

Good morning, dear members.
    I can no longer find the list of files on the Knoppix 7.2.0 DVD accessible from: -> DVD (~3500 software packages, over 9GB uncompressed, cloop-compressed to 4GB)
    The link: http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...-l-dvd-720.txt
    I am getting a 404 error.
    It is unfortunate that i didn't write a DVD from the ISO image. I had deleted the image long back.
    Unfortunately, there was a package that could be used to resize pdf page sizes on pdf documents themselves. Delete unwanted/useless pages within the file. Also, minor corrections within the documents. It was not scribus. Not LibreOffice draw. It was something else. But I forgot the name. I miss that nifty tool dearly from time to time.
    If I could have a look at the list of packages may be I could remember and install the package once again.
    Could i be helped in this regards please?

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Good morning, dear members.
    I can no longer find the list of files on the Knoppix 7.2.0 DVD accessible from: -> DVD (~3500 software packages, over 9GB uncompressed, cloop-compressed to 4GB)
    The link: http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knopp...-l-dvd-720.txt
    I am getting a 404 error.
    It is unfortunate that i didn't write a DVD from the ISO image. I had deleted the image long back.
    Unfortunately, there was a package that could be used to resize pdf page sizes on pdf documents themselves. Delete unwanted/useless pages within the file. Also, minor corrections within the documents. It was not scribus. Not LibreOffice draw. It was something else. But I forgot the name. I miss that nifty tool dearly from time to time.
    If I could have a look at the list of packages may be I could remember and install the package once again.
    Could i be helped in this regards please?
    Did you find a copy? I might have a DVD burned of it.

Member registered user
    Yes, I have a DVD of 7.2.0 EN

There is a package list on Distrowatch
    https://distrowatch.com/table.php?di...=7.2.0#pkglist
    Last edited by thriftee; 03-05-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Thank you for replying to my query

Quote Originally Posted by thriftee View Post
    Yes, I have a DVD of 7.2.0 EN

There is a package list on Distrowatch
    https://distrowatch.com/table.php?di...=7.2.0#pkglist
    Ah, thank you! I thought I would never receive a reply to my query. For your kind information (though you may not need it, but other users might be interested) the Knoppix 7.2.0 had a PDF editing package that is no longer available. Now pdf editing is handled directly by libre office draw, which has improved over the years. That package was better to edit page size and minor editing. Since I used the tool irregularly, the name dropped out of my awareness horizon.It was accessible from within the cluster StartMenu/office/
    Knoppix forums have become so silent over the years, particularly, when Mr. Schultz is no longer available. So thank you once more.
    Last edited by rajibando; 03-06-2021 at 03:07 AM. Reason: minor

Member registered user
    Glad I could help. I suggest you say what package and version of it that you are looking for. If it was me, I would try to find the source code and get the tools needed to compile it.

Perhaps because of your time crunch you overlooked details included in my post

... I suggest you say what package and version of it that you are looking for ...
    I forgot the package name, which resulted in my present desperation. I used the package but not frequently. The name simply dropped out of my mind. It was a Qt-frontend. But you have helped enough already. It is unfortunate that I have a helper more than willing to provide support, but can't utilise his support offer. Really unfortunate for me!
    Glad I could help ... If it was me, I would try to find the source code and get the tools needed to compile it.
    I fully appreciate, but issues such as these remind me that i am only an idiotic human, whose rationality is only a very thin veneer, however much i may wish to come across as a rational being.

Member registered user
    You might look at a package called Scribus. It might not be included in many distros, but its easy to add it. They have an appimage available, too, which probably would run on many distros.

Unfortunately, it isn't ... but we shall surely identify the package, with ur help ..

Thank you, Thrifty, for replying to my thread in order to help me. I would like to quote my first post on this thread:
    ...Unfortunately, there was a package that could be used to resize pdf page sizes on pdf documents themselves. Delete unwanted/useless pages within the file. Also, minor corrections within the documents.
    And I had added further that:
    ...It was not scribus. Not LibreOffice draw. It was something else. But I forgot the name. I miss that nifty tool dearly from time to time. If I could have a look at the list of packages may be I could remember and install the package once again.
    So I was not looking for Libre Office Draw or Scribus. I am going through the package list you had posted earlier, up and down. I shall surely find the package. In the meanwhile it would be nice if I received a reply. But my admiration for your support continues ...
    Last edited by rajibando; 03-06-2021 at 07:14 PM. Reason: minor typo