Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nero 6 makes me cranky.

Nero 6 makes me cranky.

for whatever reason, Nero is refusing to burn KNOPPIX from the .iso -

using an Imation CD-R 700MB disc, no matter what prefernces i change, Nero will eject the disc and tell me i need one with larger capacity. I am an experienced user, and Nero has never let me down before, so this is a sad day.

I'm off to try some other apps, but if anyone has ideas about how to fix this, please let me know.

Oh yeah, I'm new around here, so hello everyone!

Senior Member registered user
    You might check for a firmware upgrade for your CD-R drive from Nero's compatibility page. Someone else was having the same problem in another thread, and that turned out to be his problem.

Junior Member registered user
    Welcome new guy.....

firmware doesnt help...

well, it turns out there was new firmware for my drive (lite-on 52-24-52), and it seemed promising. the update is said to improve stability for overburning.

BUT...

installing it messed up nero, which had to be reinstalled too. then, the updated firmware eliminated most of my burn speed options. i used to be able to burn at just about any speed up to 52x, but now i am limited to either 4x, 8x, or top speed. Grar!

I have a few other ideas - namely i will try roxio (sob). i may also try a different brand of cd, although i dont think that will make a difference.

but first thing's first - i going back to my old firmware. my cds can be burned at 32x at most, 52x is waaay too fast and 8x is out of the question...

yargh!!

firmware is a permanent upgrade. i have to wait for them to release another update.

::sound of head smacking wall::

problem almost solved.

well, i tried using roxio, and it burned the cd first try. sounds like nero is to blame, so im gonna have a look around their webpage for some answers (hopefully)

Member registered user
    I don't know if this is relevant, but when I burn Knoppix with Nero I get a message about the disk capacity also. However, it doesn't say it can't burn the CD; it just says the CD will have to be finalized.

Also check Ahead's web site to see if you have the latest update to Nero (free).

Senior Member registered user
    Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/archive/topic/69594.html

Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

You can also find the older firmware here, if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea.

I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

more news...

eco2geek - thanks for the links. aside from the 17 pop ads, its nice to know that the older firmware is still there. however two things have happened:

1st, as far i can tell, upgrading firmware is permanent. as of this morning though, that is not bad.

i tried setting up something to burn before putting in my cd, and all of my burn speed options were there. so yea, it is smart burn. nice to know, and i alreadyt know how to disable it should i need to.

but this doesnt really fix my main problem, which is for some reason, Nero complains that the cd is too small. no option to continue burning, no matter what i do. its different from the other people's problem where nero asks them to finalize the disc. my nero just ejects it and tells me to bugger off =)

Roxio on the other hand, had no problems with it whatsoever, so now i have my knoppix disc and almost all s well in happy land.

i will continue to experiement with nero and look throught their website for stuff.

thanks for the help everyone.

Bug in Nero6.0.0.15

After wasting 8 hours in trying diferent cd writers, firmware upgrades etc I finally figured it out that there is a bug in Nero 6.0.0.15. I downloaded Nero6patch.exe and applied the patch. I have this patch, if anybody needs it let me know. I ll upload it on my FTP Server. I created the CD successfully and it works like a champ.
    I have a little problem that it doesn't detect my inbuilt wireless card. I am running it on Dell Latitude C640.
    Thanks for everybody for the support I got on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/archive/topic/69594.html

Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

You can also find the older firmware here, if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea.

I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast