Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 full changelog

Senior Member registered user
    the new script, created by fabian, is much more advanced than the previous. if offers:
    1. Your own user on install.
    2. The ability using the .knofig file to have your own /home and other partitions during install.
    3. Also using the .knofig file choosing the services started at boot on the new system, and tweak other things.
    4. QTParted used during the install if needed.
    5. The ability to save the configuration of your install for later use.
    6. its easier...

and even more, i dont remember

Junior Member registered user
    Boy, Knopix Linux just keeps getting better at an amazing pace! I've been working with desktop computers (as a business tool) since 1980 and following Linux from a distance for the past 5 years, and this is the first version I've seen that can honestly claim to be "user friendly" - even if that isn't the main goal :>) So, I've finally taken the plunge (I'm so new at this I squeak when I type). The new install on the last release gave me a nice desktop working machine, and it looks even better in this release.

One fix I didn't see mentioned though was the block-major-2 hardware detection error for machines without standard floopy drives installed. This would kill the hardware detection process every time, albeit my Desknote would still complete all the post hardware detection processes and boot ok. Albeit, I can't help but think some of the quirks I noticed and manual configuring I had to do might well have been caused by the hardware detection process failure. The only solution I found for that was to actually do a hdinstall, which I had to do anyway to get the wireless prism2_usb driver to work (that little beauty is commented out in network configuration files in favor of the prism2_pci driver).

Still love this distro (if we can call it that) and I'm hoping it will bring me gently and effectively into the Linux fold. Keep up the GREAT work!

I was wondering if any documentation was available on the new installer especially what was meant by the "one flaw" of the "knoppix way" of installing. Does that mean that the auto-magical detection resets config files at every boot, so that any changes have to be edited again after each reboot?

By the way, I don't know why people say knoppix was never meant to be a Debian installer. The Debian project should adopt it for their installer. It is so much better. I've tried installing woody and I've tried the "new" sarge installer, both are pains in the rump. With knx-hdinstall, I started the script and had a working Debian system in less than 1 hour, with only a few minor glitches to iron out.

Upgrading from 3.2

I currently have knx 3.2 (6/6 release) installed on my notebook, and i am wondering if there is an eazer way to up-grade. I have been through up-dates in the past (i have been using knx for almost a year now), so i have gotten used to having my home dir on a diff. partition (allthou everyone should do this). Its still a pain having to re-install everything (installed from apt-get and source), so i wanna know if someone out there has a better solution.
    Thanks a lot!
    WuN

What is memphis

Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    And knoppix was never meant as installer for debian, you should use memphis for that...
    What is memphis, and where is it located?

Tyler

Re: What is memphis

Quote Originally Posted by tdurden
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    And knoppix was never meant as installer for debian, you should use memphis for that...
    What is memphis, and where is it located?

Tyler
    I'm sure he meant to say "mepis" . Look toward the end of Fabianx's inital post.

Mepis is similar to Knoppix.... probably a version of it that has an install link on the bootable cd.

http://mepis.org/

There are some good reviews on pclinuxonline.com

6in1 card reader finally works

BTW, my 6in1 card reader finally works in this release... something regarding "probe all LUNs" seems to be changed

Re-matering from knoppix-installer

Way to go Fabian, the new installer script is great!

Anyone have a how-to or some pointers on re-mastering from a "Knoix-Mode" HD install as Fabian mentioned in the start of this thread?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by m_yates
    By the way, I don't know why people say knoppix was never meant to be a Debian installer. The Debian project should adopt it for their installer. It is so much better. I've tried installing woody and I've tried the "new" sarge installer, both are pains in the rump. With knx-hdinstall, I started the script and had a working Debian system in less than 1 hour, with only a few minor glitches to iron out.
    Well the simple reason why Debian isn't going to use knoppix as it's installer is that Debian currently supports 11 different hardware platforms while Knoppix supports 1 (or is it two with the ppc versions knocking around). Some of those platforms cover things like handheld computers which could never dream of coping with 700Mb of a compressed system! On top of that Debian is not a desktop distribution, but "The Universal Operating System" and hence is used for servers and network devices aswell where minimal installs are required (and tailored installs at that). The good news is that Debian has never shown the slightest animosity to other efforts to create installers for specific needs (Progeny and Corel both created their own installers) so they could well recommend Knoppix as a desktop installation method for i386 without prejudicing their own installer. Debian has always put itself forward as the basis for other distros, Knoppix is just the latest (and greatest?) in that line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast