Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot from .ISO image file already in HD

Boot from .ISO image file already in HD

Is it possible? We could have just a boot Floppy or CD and it would read the ISO stored in HD, this way Knoppix would be very very FAST!!!

ghhfghfhftg

Re: Boot from .ISO image file already in HD

Quote Originally Posted by sps
    Is it possible? We could have just a boot Floppy or CD and it would read the ISO stored in HD, this way Knoppix would be very very FAST!!!
    What i would like to have is an application that could load the iso-image into ram at startup and run from there. Now that would be lightning fast...

It may take a couple of min to load the image into ram, but when its finally there everything would be like greased lightning.

About 0,000001 ms acsesstimes in stead of the 10ms in HDD's or 100ms in CD-rom's. Transferspeed would go from about 50MB/s (HDD's) or 8MB/s (CD-rom's) to about 2133MB/s in case of PC2100 DDR-ram.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    What i would like to have is an application that could load the iso-image into ram at startup and run from there. Now that would be lightning fast...

It may take a couple of min to load the image into ram, but when its finally there everything would be like greased lightning.

About 0,000001 ms acsesstimes in stead of the 10ms in HDD's or 100ms in CD-rom's. Transferspeed would go from about 50MB/s (HDD's) or 8MB/s (CD-rom's) to about 2133MB/s in case of PC2100 DDR-ram.
    Remember that it could consume 700MB's of ram just for the ISO... So you better be having a lot of memory in that system.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous

I tought it could read the .iso as it reads the CD, so it would read the image at HD´s speed, am I right? Also it would remain read only by default like the CD is.

Member registered user
    You could probably set up something like this, reminds me of Mandrakes Lin4Win thing, where it let you install linux onto a fat partition.

I don't understand what the point would be though? why not just install it to HD, then it would run MUCH faster?

As for copying the ISO to ram, this is an idea I already suggested, but not with the full size image, just with one of the mini-knoppix ISO's.

Senior Member registered user
    You'd need more than 700MB of RAM for this! Even if you could get the whole ISO in RAM, it works off a ramdisk with at least 128MB RAM for KDE et al when apps are decompressed on the fly....

So, we're talking about 1GB if not over 2GB if the whole image has to be decompressed for this to work! Boy, that would be something else, though!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by dvessey
    You could probably set up something like this, reminds me of Mandrakes Lin4Win thing, where it let you install linux onto a fat partition.

I don't understand what the point would be though? why not just install it to HD, then it would run MUCH faster?

As for copying the ISO to ram, this is an idea I already suggested, but not with the full size image, just with one of the mini-knoppix ISO's.
    That would be a great idea. Running an OS from ram would make everything go instant. OpenOffice normally uses some time to start because it opens a lot of small files. That wait could be cured if OO already is in the ram. Event if it still are compressed.

I can imagine running a database or dynamic website from a ramdrive could be far superior to running from HDD. All the several ms acsess-latency per file would dissapear. Of course the database must be saved to HDD regularly and often to avoid losses in case of power failure, but that should be an overcomable problem.

Making a mini-ISO of Knoppix would be great to people that have a deacent amount of ram (512-1GB), but it should at least include the features that benefint the most from a ramdrive.

loading into ram

Now i don't agree with loading OO into ram, but loading a compressed image on a (compressed) ramdisk would be feasible for my (mini-)distro morphix, as the base is only 25MB compressed. An idea worth looking further into...

Such a small ISO would be an ideal candidate to run from a ramdisk uncompressed, no?

Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast