Thread: hdd install using multiple partitions

hdd install using multiple partitions

I have without any problem used knx-hdinstall (0.3 to install clusterknoppix (vers 3.2.2003-05-20)to a hdd from a cd.
    As it is a 20gb hdd I had already created multiple partitions in a previous Debian install. Cfdisk showed them as available and in the create file system the script asks which one to use for a root partition. (I believe I could have created the same number of partitions in cfdisk as part of the install if they were not pre existing)
    The problem is the install only copies all the files to that single partition and at no time did I have the opportunity to elect to use any of the others for /usr /var /tmp etc .
    The fact that a second hdd was also available never arose.
    I believe it is possible to move filesystems to new partitions as a standard Linux administrative task, and then mount them in fstab at boot up however my efforts to do this have ended up in a mess to the point that a reinstall was quicker and easier.
    So far I have not found any relevant documentation to help and my understanding of the script is not good. Some documentation on this site comes close ie creating another /home but I am looking at using about 12 partitions.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.

Senior Member registered user

Re: hdd install using multiple partitions

Quote Originally Posted by wfharvey
    I have without any problem used knx-hdinstall (0.3 to install clusterknoppix (vers 3.2.2003-05-20)to a hdd from a cd.
    As it is a 20gb hdd I had already created multiple partitions in a previous Debian install. Cfdisk showed them as available and in the create file system the script asks which one to use for a root partition. (I believe I could have created the same number of partitions in cfdisk as part of the install if they were not pre existing)
    The problem is the install only copies all the files to that single partition and at no time did I have the opportunity to elect to use any of the others for /usr /var /tmp etc .
    The fact that a second hdd was also available never arose.
    I believe it is possible to move filesystems to new partitions as a standard Linux administrative task, and then mount them in fstab at boot up however my efforts to do this have ended up in a mess to the point that a reinstall was quicker and easier.
    So far I have not found any relevant documentation to help and my understanding of the script is not good. Some documentation on this site comes close ie creating another /home but I am looking at using about 12 partitions.
    Any assistance would be appreciated.
    The Home Partition How-To will work for what you want the process is the same just boot from the Knoppix CD and either copy or move the directories and update your /etc/fstab to reflect the changes to the new mount points and everything should work.

An alternative would be the new knoppix installer you can save the configuration and a .knofig file will be created in the current directory that has a HD Map section in it put your drive mappings in there and load the config into the installer and install with it and the directories will be seperated properly. Just curious though why 12 partitions?

Curious

Stephen thanks for the suggestions .
    To answer why 12. Well I believe it is better to have some dedicated partitions for files that could grow to fill the hard drive like dynamic log files and temp and have others like home capable of easily being moved to seperate drives if needed. Also a dedicated data partition rather than just /home. Whether this philosphy is correct or not I am not sure but it is one of the many things I have read over the years whilst playing with Linux in an endeavour to learn more of the clever things that are possible. Thank goodness this is only a home network situation.