Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: superkaramba

Member registered user

superkaramba

OK, I've decided I'm like really stupid cause I just can't get it! I trashed out my hd install of Knoppix trying to install superkaramba. (Its become a mission now) Keep getting dependancy errors need lib1 you have lib2 type stuff, and lib2 is newer than lib 1 go figure. I have apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to the point my hard drive is ready to smoke. Is there any easy way to do this that a dumb noobe as myself could do. Or is this one of those unreachable things?

Thanks

Senior Member registered user

Re: superkaramba

Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    OK, I've decided I'm like really stupid cause I just can't get it! I trashed out my hd install of Knoppix trying to install superkaramba. (Its become a mission now) Keep getting dependancy errors need lib1 you have lib2 type stuff, and lib2 is newer than lib 1 go figure. I have apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to the point my hard drive is ready to smoke. Is there any easy way to do this that a dumb noobe as myself could do. Or is this one of those unreachable things?

Thanks
    While there are some applications that are uninstallable when in the situation you are it is ususlly best to restrict your sources.list by commenting out the other options apt has for the packages. I see that superkaramba is in unstable so comment out your stable and testing sources then update and then try to install leaving apt no choice as to where it gets the packages from. If apt tells you it needs version 1.2.3 of a program from testing to accomplish the install then uncomment the testing sources update and apt-get install program=1.2.3 then comment out again update try to install repeat as many times as necessary to get the program to install.

Well- since it sounds as though you'll be reinstalling then I'm going to suggest that you NOT do apt-get upgrade. So many people do that then hose their system up and can't fix it. It just isn't necessary. I'm not even sure why everyone seems to think it is. Testing and Unstable are named as they are for a reason. I would only suggest upgrading packages if there is something that a more stable version cannot provide. With that said..

Use Synaptic. (Kpackage is OK too) It will show you all the dependencies required, what it's going to remove and what's going to be installed. It works flawlessly for me. I just installed Superkaramba and the only change made to my system was removing Karamba. I'd also suggest not trying to install 100 packages at a time- take your time, get familiar w/ apt-get and what it can and cannot do. If you installed 1 or 2 packages and your system gets hosed it's alot easier to figure out what caused the problem. COnversely, if you installed 150 .debs and your system gets borked what tehn? Those dependency problems can be annoying but they can also be fixed if you learn the intricacies of apt.

Member registered user
    Isn't there a apt-get fix type command. I've seen these dependancy issues before and a couple times I typed something but can't remember and the dependancies were repaired and the programs installed. I just can't remember?

Quote Originally Posted by dave52355
    Isn't there a apt-get fix type command. I've seen these dependancy issues before and a couple times I typed something but can't remember and the dependancies were repaired and the programs installed. I just can't remember?
    Perchance do you mean apt-get -f install ?

Member registered user
    No tried that, think it was dpkg --repair or something. Don't know I think I need to reinstall anyways to many little errors popping up like LISa not loading at boot. Just got that feeling if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Junior Member registered user

Yes, yes there is an apt-get fix command...

The "apt-get fix command" you're remembering is "apt-get -f install" which actually tries to repair failed installs and correct the dependency issues apt-get did not manage to get right. Also, if a package is giving you a hard time, and has become half-installed thus placing your system squarely into dependency hell; try removing the package. Generally apt-get remove XXXXXX works even if the package is only half installed.

I have to echo the concerns expressed by rickenbacherus above. Simply changing a whole bunch of your sources and the apt-getting upgrades in a manner I can only think to describe as "Willy-Nilly" is just plain stupid. Worse, it's incompetent on any debian release which is not sourced purely from stable. If you have to have some new package, download the tar or tgz file, follow the installation instructions and keep yourself from going mad. If you need some packages, the documentation is sure to tell you. With any luck, you'll get through with as little a learning curve as needed. Also, again along rickenbacherus lines, learn apt-get, because it is superior to my last suggestion, but used incorrectly will make your linux machine more of a nightmare than M$ machines. Except for the crashing, of course.
    Hopefully.

Good Luck,

Civ

Member registered user
    The source.list supplied with Knoppix remains unchanged. There was no "blind" changing. I ran apt-get update as instructed, than apt-get upgrade. Both of these went without a hitch. Than I ran apt-get install superkaramba This is where the problems begun. I will reinstall from cd and forget about superkaramba.

Thanks

Junior Member registered user

Just out of curiosity...

Good to hear. Out of curiosity, have you tried apt-get remove superkaramba???

Keep us up to date,

Civ

Member registered user
    I did apt-get remove superkaramba No package found. 1/2 way through the reinstall. We'll try again with no updates or upgrades.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast