Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to install a USB Digital Camera?

Senior Member registered user

Help for Fuji Camera Owners with USB support??

<<<YES- I mount my Fuji FinePix 1400Zoom by editing the /etc/fstab file: >>

<<<# This will add support for a USB camera to be mounted as a removable media
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/XXXX auto noauto,user,rw 0 >>>

Remember to create the directory XXXX (can be any name) under /mnt (You can also make this any directory, anywhere. >>>>

This worked for my Fuji FinePix 2300 camera as well.

Man, what a relief!!!

sakiZ

for the above post, dmesg | grep sd is telling you to look at the messages to see if you have a device that was mounted as /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 which is a SCSI mount point when your USB camera was plugged in to the USB cable. The HotPlug will detect the change and print out a message.
    # mount could tell you if your camera has mounted as a filesystem, that you read and write to directly

You might also list what the Linux Kernel sees attached to the USB port with the following
    # ls /proc/bus/usb
    # cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

Thanks for this thread, it was instructional. On a hard disk install of Knoppix that has been upgraded using apt-get, dselect, kpackage, or synaptic

apt-get install gtkam

you might have to add the group camera to a users profile with kde-user manager. also add check box for the audio groups to.

In a consol terminal window, make a directory to save your pictures in. Change directory to that area, start gtkam (which is a graphic user interface ) to gphoto2 libphoto2 and one other software XX

#mkdir mypics
    #cd mypics
    #gtkam
    re-scan and detect your camera. Select it. Then download and save your pictures
    I open konqueror to the location file:///home/knoppix/mypics then select the ICON view, and set the ICON size to HUGE, then I can view all the pictures simutaneously to select and delete the ones I don;t want.

I hope other readers add to the knowledge here of HowTo install and use a USB Digital Camera on Knoppix / Debian. This was my two sents worth that uses gtkam with a cheap old SIPIX StyleCam BlinkII with USB interface. Long Live Knoppix Linux!! Knoppix has helped me to use my camera and my Cell phone.

Sanyo 4900 on a SPrintPCS cell phone
    Here in the USA, have a SprintPCS cell phone? Buy the FutureDial USB cable to connect the Sanyo 4900 SprintPCS cell phone to Knoppix 3.4 Linux as a modem for surfing the web / email at 7K to 14.4K bytes per second rate. What is the secret command to issue in a console window to surf the internet?

# pon sprint

I just could not believe it!! It was all there in Knoppix (Debian) Linux one $22 cable (www.futuredial.com) and one 10 character command line and I was on line!!! I was using a computer in my 18 wheeler Rig, no access to a phone line to dial in. My particular SprintPCS plan gave me unlimited Data connection. Your plan may be different. It logs in by sending the dialup command #777 through the /dev/usb/ttyACM0 usb serial port device.

Fred Finster
    fredfinster (AT) netscape (DOT) net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12