Thread: Super Noob Friendly Knoppix

Super Noob Friendly Knoppix

**EDIT**: I was browsing the forum and I came across this..
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=791 Well I guess this post is useless now.
    I'm a lazy bum + I don't have enough RAM and stuff on my computer to do a remaster.
    I'm suggesting a remaster for linux noobs A.K.A. Windows dummies. I have the original Knoppix and I've attempted to convert my friends but most were too stubborn and turned away because of silly little reasons.
    "Oh the startbar is different, I won't use it" etc.
    I was frustrated but I found out XPDE www.xpde.com which imitates the Windows environment 90%... I'm sure this is the key to converting them. Give them a familiar environment, then they'll talk.
    My focus on converting them is multimedia stuff. I myself is too very new to Linux but I think GIMP is a must, and GAIM and probably open-office. That's what they usually use computers for. If it is possibly WineX could be included too but I don't know what license it's under.
    Thanks for listening to a lazy bum

PS: Scripts for connecting to the internet is also what they need. They use the internet very often, might include a PPPOE connection tool.

EDIT: I've been on distrowatch and noticed some distros that are bootable on CD aren't necessarily debian based. Is there a way you can make Lycoris do so? It's similar to XP desktop too. Hope I'm not asking too much.

Senior Member registered user
    As far as I know, other live CD's are usually not graphical like knoppix is. Suse's live CD is I thnk, but Gentoo's is not for example.

XPDE would be nice to see, even if a lot of linux users don't like the look and feel of Windows. It's not like there aren't 5 or 6 other windows managers they could use if they prefer not to have an XPDE option. BUt having the option can help bring more users into the light that is linux, where they can dip there toes in the pool before decided to take that first step or plunge.

I already offered to help, but I may not have the skill to implement a new window manager so much as make the existing ones have windwos themes (KDE and ICEWM anyway...)

I do have a support forum for my own remaster which I am willing to share and a little space to host the file. I can also add some of my own touches if the person who makes this does not mind such as adding some drivers and small but critical (in my mind) apps.