Thread: Windows look for Knoppix

Windows look for Knoppix

Hello, I just wanted to say thank-you for creating this disk.
    I am a widows guru and have some certs and an NA diploma on widows based PCs. I have been wanting to switch some of my focus to Linux. In starting this I was very afraid to get into it because of the scary file/format/partition difference, not to mention that I can't navigate through the GUI as well as I can through a Windows box. I had tried to install Linux a few months ago, without success (mostly because I tried to figure out the partition/mnt thing). Then I tried Knoppix! It was great worked and configured everything all on its own! I got to mess around with the games and the environment, then shuddered and logged out! Thanks to Knoppix I tried to do another install and have done more since successfully.
    The environment is totally different than what I am used to. Now, I have said all that to say this, Have you thought about including XPde into your disk? I think if you did, you and XPde will be responsible for making the Linux world grow more than anything else that has ever happened. You made the environment possible in a simple boot, they would ease the transition from windows to Linux. I have a Fedora Test 3 working (roughly) with XPde and I almost feel at home (ON LINUX!!!). It is things like this that ease the fear of the unknown and allow people the freedom to take it slow. This is a request from someone that knows the fear first hand.

I am the only geek in my area (town of four thousand) and I have no other way of working through Linux, I have never been exposed to it and have more confidence now than I did before I met you!

Senior Member registered user
    Dunno what to say: I've never tried XPde -- and I've never found Kde daunting in the least. I find XP quite like a very badly crafted version of Kde.

But maybe the best thing any Linux newbie can do (apart from read the HOWTOs -- I've always had a soft spot for Guido Gonzato's DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO) is to apt-get install rutebook

In fact, you can apt-get install the HOWTO's, too.

Once you've snagged them, they'll be in /usr/share/doc/

I agree, that Windows XP sucks like horse, but XPde looks more like Win2k/98se. They plan on adding themes support so you can put the XP look as well.
    The reason I like XPde is it names everything the same as in windows. What I wanted was not a migration to Windows for all you seasoned Linux users. I wanted an easy migration to LINUX!!! I think that linux is awesome in its concepts, goals, philosophies, GNU, GPL and such. I agree we need to make this world a better place, and this is the start to that goal. But the fact exists that windows is on most desktops in the entire world and we are creatures of habbit. I like my current setup with windows. I can do everything I need to do on it in a matter of clicks. When I switch to a Linux boot, I am lost! I am trying to remember what programs do what, I am trying to fix my settings, but it takes too long and there is a such a re-learning curve to Linux.
    Here is a link to the XPde site, go check it out. http://www.xpde.com/shots.php

From what I've heard, XPDE is quite unstable and buggy. I think the quote was "buggy piece of crap" :S

Has anyone actually tried XPde, or have you just looked at the screenshots?

I got it to work (with Mandrake 9.1) It wasn't exactly as the screenshots. But it was much easier to use than KDE. I actually felt like I belonged on a Linux box.

I agree it isn't done yet but it felt reeeeeal nice. That is why I want to have a Knoppix version. "All that and looks too!" Kinda thing. Knoppix is by far the best Linux Distro. I can say that now. When I first tried it, I was much newer. Now I have attempted about 10 installs of all sorts of distros. Only 4 successful!!! Knoppix was the only one that worked like it was supposed to! I was even able to browse the internet! The only one of the four to do that.

Knoppix + XPde = Revolution = Windows forced to smarten up = Linux forced to smarted up!!! Both OSes have their downfall. Yes even Linux has problems. Just in user friendliness.