View Poll Results: What's a fair price to pay for Knoppix 3.3 DVD? Remember shipping is included!

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • $15 This is $5 for materials and $10 for free Knoppix cd's!

13 22.41%
  • $10 With this option $5 goes toward free Knoppix cd's.

33 56.90%
  • $5 This just pays for the materials.

9 15.52%
  • $0 I'm cheap and want you to pay for it!

3 5.17%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix3.3 based DVD- any requests or suggestions?

Member registered user

A knoppix DVD? Wonderfull.

It's something amazing.

You can mix the easy use of knoppix with hundreds (maybe thousands) programs. This would not be only a demo system. Ok I dont consider it a demo, I've installed ir on my hard disk, and on two friends hdd too. But having it on dvd, would be the solution of the 7 cds distributions, i think

Good if I could purchase it easyly in Spain, I'd prefer downloading the image if possible

Re: Knoppix3.3 based DVD- any requests or suggestions?

[replying to myself] Earlier I mentioned a 2GB limit on file size for Win98 systems. Sorry, that was a brainfart, the limit is 4GB.

The older FAT16 file system has a limit of 2GB, but since a system that old probably can't even handle a DVD drive, it's not too relevant to this discussion.

So unless a 4GB image causes problems with too much RAM consumption, it seems likely we could keep adding more and more stuff to our versions of the Knoppix DVD for a very long time.

great thing to do man!

check this out:
    i like the dvd idea because you can fill that sucker with libraries and dependencies and all that junk. Nothing worse that dependencies, man. I'm not a linux wiz, ya know, i'm pretty used to windows- where you
    1.) download a program
    2.) run it
    Ya gotta admit, the world likes it that way. I sure do.
    If you could fill that sucker with tons of stuff that would enable the downloading and running of a program, i'd buy a bunch off you, and then sell them to everyone I know. Take care.

PS: Just realized I should mention that I'm talking about 'after the hard drive install.' Probably didn't make much sense back there, huh ?

Junior Member registered user

games

it would be nice, if you included some patches for games, so that they would run on linux.
    that's the only good erason why i'm still running windows.

I am requesting the inclusion of PengAOL in knoppix DVD (look on sourceforge) when I was first running knoppix, I was (WAS) using AOL (sorry ) and I would have been more likely to use knoppix more if there was an aol supporting dailer in there with the other stuff. I've also requested this for standard knoppix.

Junior Member registered user
    Let me get this straight; will this be almost a full Debian with extra software? Be still my heart!

Senior Member registered user

My 2C

My 2c (or 12$) is go with all the DVD specific stuff...
    K3B > 10 is a must have
    DRIP etc. also musts....

I wonder if this is going to be used mainly as a install or as a live Cd ??
    The other thing really important is NIC drivers.
    IF you can't get onto the internet your stuffed.

MY USB key holds the NIC driver for my work machines broadcom gigabit. Ive been to busy/lazy to remaster a live CD with it so I just insmod it and then restart networking each time. However the DVD would be good if it had more NIC's supported. Even if its the tarballs and you have to compile it its at least available...
    At work i had to boot into Windows (I can't do a HDD install cos A its not allowed and b its an NTFS filesystem)
    So I downloaded it then rebooted knoppix and copied it and compiled it then just kept the actual module.

I guess we have dial up users too so perhaps including more modem drivers etc.

Also, is the DVD all run on loopback??? Is it possible to leave a raw part outside of the KNOPPIX.sh ??

Im really new to knoppix and really impressed (1 week) - the more I use it the more impressed I am

Edits:
    I voted $10 but its really a hassle thing.
    I tried paypal and my french bank didn't put the code on my statement.
    I guess I should have persisted but .....

Just an example ...
    I use opera free edition.... and also firebird.
    I don't object to the price of opera BUT its the hassle factor of paying.
    perhaps I should try paypal again ....
    Money orders are a pain in the <> internationally. It cost me $50 to send $500 to the states although they just took it out when it arrived.
    I resorted to sticking $50 in an envelope covered in some thick paper for the $50 I still owed.....I guess $10 would still cost me $50 to send!!!

DOH....
    Anyway, how about an option. I have no probs sending $20 worth of blank media

DVD includes... wxPython

wxPython would be so great... wxPython is quickly on its way to becoming the GUI library for Python of choice. I believe there are several Debian packages already related to wxPython and ready to go...

Thanks.

-ScW

Mplayer

Mplayer is a must for all of us who does minor video editing. It contains a suite of programs that is very useful to master dvd video (like mplex). If kino is not included in your current list, please add that as well. Kino needs mplayer (and mplex) to transcode DV video to create DVD video from a DV camcorder footage.

Please add Freecraft, the WC II clone game. Add autotrace and pfaedit (for fontmongers who like to create their own fonts!). Pybliographer for those of us doing research and need a bibliography manager. And lastly, to take the cake, but is probably difficult to do: please add built-in support for wireless G cards, such as those using the Atheros chip or PrismGT chip: http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/ or http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

Oh, and one more thing: full support for NTFS (not just read only), if at all possible. This way, I can just boot the DVD and save all work files to the Win XP drive. Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

Senior Member registered user

MHO

Ok this is just my humble opinion BUT
    I reckon including games is not the idea of a DVD edition, indeed it can be the subject of a seperate edition which might use DVD....

However whats really needed at the momenet is more support for the DVD burning and associated stuff by which video editing etc. can be included.

Also the chicken-egg modem/lan drivers are important (IMHO) but I dont see a way round the
    And lastly, to take the cake, but is probably difficult to do: please add built-in support for wireless G cards, such as those using the Atheros chip or PrismGT chip:
    The first one is of questionable use and damned hard to set up and needs a patched kernel (which for those who need it is good but offers less in terms of stabilty to others) (p.s. Im actually in the group that need it but Im trying to look at it fairly)
    The second is commercial and you need a license + you still need the winBlows drivers which would not be distributable legally.

There exists a Debian package for the former BUT its illegal to export outside of the US outside of the US.....

The first rule should be that it should include everything possible to allow the user to connect to the internet from boot. This is absolutely critical IMHO....

Second is that it should include DVD writing and remastering so those who want games can get on and remaster a games edition

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast