Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using X -query to setup a LAN

Senior Member registered user
    OK, I tried X -query localhost :1 from vt2 and EDIT: got the login screen right away on vt8 (on my knoppix-installer as debian server)! Hurray!!

From a client PC (knoppix-installer as debian), if try X -broadcast :1 from vt2, then I get the login screen on vt8. EDIT: The only problem is that it doesn't come up in vt8 until I change to a vt other that 2 or 8 first. Otherwise it just sits there forever with a dark screen in vt2. Why must I play this game or why does it take so long? Can I do something about that?

NB:
    (1) If you try this on an knoppix-installed as debian client, please note that vt7 is the local terminal and vt8 with be the remote terminal and vt>8 are undefined (as was 8 before the X -query).

(2)If you try this on an knoppix-installed as knoppix client instead, vt5 is local, vt6 is remote and vt>6 are undefined (as was 6 before the X -query).

(3)If you try this on alive CD, you need the knoppix 2 boot string. When you get the command line on vt1, you issue the X -broadcast command and you get a remote login terminal on vt5. BTW, with knoppix 2, as you are in textmode, you don't need the :1 at all.

TIA,

Senior Member registered user
    All right, here's what worked for me based on HORO's work - THANX!

SETUP Server (knoppix-installed as debian)
    1. In a root console edit with kwrite the file /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess changing #* #any host... to * #any host...

2. In a root console edit with kwrite the file /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc changing Enable=false to Enable=true under [Xdmcp]

3. In a root console edit with kwrite the file /etc/hosts adding the client ips

4. In a root console enter the command line /etc/init.d/kdm restart

TEST Server (knoppix-installed as debian)
    In vt2 issue the command line X -query localhost :1 and you should get the kdm login window for this server right away on vt8 (as opposed to the local login window on vt7).

TEST ClientA (knoppix-installed as debian)
    In vt2 issue the command line X -query ipofserver :1 or X -broadcast :1 and you should get the kdm login window for the server in vt8 (as opposed to the local login window on vt7). This process may hang unless you change vt's a few times.... WHY???

TEST ClientB (knoppix-installed as knoppix)
    In vt2 issue the command line: X -query ipofserver :1 or X -broadcast :1 and you will get the kdm login window for the server in vt6 (as opposed to the local login window on vt5). This process may hang unless you change vt's a few times.... WHY???

TEST ClientC (liveCD)
    After booting with the knoppix 2 cheatcode, issue the command line X -query ipofserver or X -broadcast and you will get the kdm login window for the server in vt5 (there is no local login window as we booted into textmode on vt1). On the liveCD, I get the login screen right away!

I haven't tested this, but if you set-up more than one server as described above, X -broadcast may not work. Do you need to use X -chooser and enable that in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess?

Regards,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123