Thread: Dial PPP support with kNOPPIX

Dial PPP support with kNOPPIX

I am using a "designed for WinXP" laptop system, and therefore cannot use my Winmodem. However I have a PCMCIA v.90 modem and hope to use that with my Knoppix CD. The Knoppix CD boots and comes up just fine.

However, being *totally* new to both Linux and Knoppix, I'm lost on getting dial PPP to work, and also saving the the dial settings on floppy so they can be reloaded each time. I just can't find anything on this in the Knoppix help files. No doubt something an experienced Linux person could solve quickly, but I have not such experience and am operating solo.

Any hints please on setting up dial up for ISP from the Knoppix CDROM. Help would be much appreciated.

P.S. So far, Knoppix looks like a super rich environment.

Member registered user

Re: Dial PPP support with kNOPPIX

Quote Originally Posted by CWGCWG
    I am using a "designed for WinXP" laptop system, and therefore cannot use my Winmodem. However I have a PCMCIA v.90 modem and hope to use that with my Knoppix CD. The Knoppix CD boots and comes up just fine.

However, being *totally* new to both Linux and Knoppix, I'm lost on getting dial PPP to work, and also saving the the dial settings on floppy so they can be reloaded each time. I just can't find anything on this in the Knoppix help files. No doubt something an experienced Linux person could solve quickly, but I have not such experience and am operating solo.

Any hints please on setting up dial up for ISP from the Knoppix CDROM. Help would be much appreciated.

I think I can help - check your email ..........

BTW it gets pretty easy once you become familar with the new environment
    regards
    rob

Dale

PPP

Could you mail me the info on how to get the modem to work too?
    I just ordered the Knoppix 3.1 CD today.
    Thanks,
    dalecrossland@msn.com

Quote Originally Posted by monkymind
    Quote Originally Posted by CWGCWG

regards
    rob
    I've come to the same problem, is the info on how to configure modems too long to post here? If so, I'll gladly contact you by email.

Member registered user

Quote Originally Posted by monkymind

regards
    rob

Guest wrote:
    I've come to the same problem, is the info on how to configure modems too long to post here? If so, I'll gladly contact you by email.
    Here's a text only version (I've had no feedback to the emails I sent - but it works for me)

Dialout Configuration

1) Open the "KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet -> Modem Dialer " entry
    2) When KPPP opens select the [Setup] button
    3) kppp Configuration window opens & select [Device] tab
    4) From the dropdown menu next to [Modem Device] select your com port
    * /dev/ttyS0 for com 1
    * /dev/ttyS1 fro com 2 etc
    5) Then go to the [Connection Speed] entry & select [115200] for 56k modem
    6) Click on the [Modem] tab and click on the [Query Modem] button

If everything has been setup correctly a window will pop open with the Modem Query Results
    If it doesn't - try another com port step - 4) & retry step 6)

7) Click on the [Accounts] tab then the [New] button
    8 ) Choose [Dialog setup]
    9) Enter ISP name "my fav isp" etc. & the ISP's phone number when prompted
    10) OK everything till you get back to KPPP window
    11) Add your Login ID:
    12) Add your Password:
    13) Click on the [Connect] button

That should be it!

regards
    rob

Jim D.

I have a problem connecting to the Internet with my PCMCIA modem under Knoppix. Knoppix recognizes and installs the modem as /dev/ttyS4, but kPPP only shows connections for serial ports up to /dev/ttyS3. Is there any easy way to get kPPP to recognize /dev/ttyS4? Or alternately, get Knoppix to load the PCMCIA modem to a lower serial port assignment?

So far, this is the only problem that I've had running Knoppix on my Dell laptop.

Jim D.