Thread: please reply fast! a noobish question!

please reply fast! a noobish question!

hello!
    i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever) i created 2 partitions 1 (10gigs) of rlinux and the other one (3gigs) for the sap file, i have WinXP on my main partition, after i installed knoppix how do i use it? how o i boot into it?!
    total noob!

i know there are tons of threads about it but i'm so dumb i can't understand a thing (well not that dumb i'm just new to linux), so can anyone tell me how to do it so when i'll restart the computer will prompt me if i want to use knoppix or XP! help me please!

Senior Member registered user

Re: please reply fast! a noobish question!

Quote Originally Posted by mark1221
    hello!
    i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever)
    No boot floppy and you didn't install a boot loader either? Well that does make it difficult to boot Linux now doesn't it? BTW- there is a new improved installer called knoppix-installer.

I would suggest removing XP (oh sorry- natural reaction) you can leave XP on there. What you need to do is install LiLo to the MBR and you will have a dual-boot configuration. (you could edit ntldr for dual boot but I don't know how). You easily can reinstall LiLo like so:

1) Boot Knoppix cd

2) Mount the /root partition for example:
    mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2

*NOTE* The /root partition is the one yuou installed Knoppix to.

3)chroot to the partition, chroot /mnt/hda2

4) Edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favorite editor

5) /sbin/lilo -v

Of course you may need some help editing /etc/lilo.conf. Post it here please and also tell us which partition you installed Knoppix to.

I would suggest removing XP
    No, I think that's the problem right there....he he he

Just kidding.

Sorry, couldn't help it!

Regards,

Re: please reply fast! a noobish question!

--D00d, you don't need 3gigs for swap - maybe at most 512MB unless you're doing some really massive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mark1221
    hello!
    i just installed knoppix using knx-hdinstall and went trough the install (i didn't create a boot floppy and i chose no when it asked about this Lilo or whatever) i created 2 partitions 1 (10gigs) of rlinux and the other one (3gigs) for the sap file, i have WinXP on my main partition, after i installed knoppix how do i use it? how o i boot into it?!
    total noob!

i know there are tons of threads about it but i'm so dumb i can't understand a thing (well not that dumb i'm just new to linux), so can anyone tell me how to do it so when i'll restart the computer will prompt me if i want to use knoppix or XP! help me please!

why don't you just boot the Knoppix cd again and reset you fstabs to what it should be then mount -a

now just create a boot disk and restart the machine with it