Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: mobo recommendation

Senior Member registered user
    Fair comment, provided you can get the nVidia drivers to work. It seems that clone memory and PSUs supplied to Europe meet much higher standards than supplied to the USA. I've seen this quantified for PSU specs somewhere; never had a problem with either, although I constantly read complaints about branded items. Who's being conned?! And if you need a D1.6, you'll need to send overseas from the USA!
    OG.
    PS: gave a talk at The Springs twenty years ago!

Hi guys, this may be a bit off-topic, but it sounds like you could help me here. I just inherited an old Gateway 2000 PC G6-266 (Pentium II 266Mhz). This box has a shot hdd so I added 128MB RAM chips (only 32MB on board) and everything else worked fine when I booted with the KNOPPIX liveCD.

The problem is that it only has an internal 57600 modem. I need your recommendations on a cheap ethernet card and router that I can get off ebay to hook up this old box to my cable modem. I'd like to make this old box into a basic web kiosk running off the liveCD for my kids to leave my main linux box alone (they're play bzflag with the nvidia drivers too much)!

TIA,

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    That's robbery! M/b - $30max, mod. D1.6 (clocked=same as XP2200) - $40, mem. (too much?) - $75. Cheaper to buy mail order from Asia or Europe - even with postal costs.
    OG.
    I have to agree. Anyway I am from Asia and I got a new mobo from Dubai.It is an MSI 6390U and an Athlon XP 2400+ and cooler fully assembled kit at $110. There is a company in Dubai,UAE that assembles mobo and AMD chips (www.skyelectronics.com). I got it from them.

That's an interesting item from AJG. I have an old S8 PentiumPro chassis here which I am reluctant to retire. It is clocked at 233 and I managed to drum up 128Mb of EDO. It is ATX and performs rather well with its 256K of onboard cache. It would be interesting to build a Knoppix version reduced to 520Mb, without all that server stuff, for example, so that it can be used with some of the piles of old nom.540Mb (and 420!) hard drives designed for that BIOS limitation. They could then be used as floppy-booted copies rather than installed versions. This kind of remastering is well beyond my skills - anyone interested? Such a project could enable old kit to be rejuvenated for charity donations/Africa PC projects? CD drives can be too unreliable for such applications and environments. Maybe such a task would appeal to the maestro, Hr K., himself?
    OG.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    The problem is that it only has an internal 57600 modem. I need your recommendations on a cheap ethernet card and router that I can get off ebay to hook up this old box to my cable modem. I'd like to make this old box into a basic web kiosk running off the liveCD for my kids to leave my main linux box alone (they're play bzflag with the nvidia drivers too much)!

TIA,
    I use a Linux router myself but I have bought several Seimens routers from www.pricewatch.com. for $25 shipped. Also the Realtek1839 NIC card always works great w/ Linux- even the cheap ones for $5 shipped.

Thanx for the input! I'll be looking at Seimanns then. Do you know anything about LinkSys EtherFast Routers? These seem to go cheap on ebay....

I just ordered a 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card from ebay $10 shipped.

Thanx,

Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Thanx for the input! I'll be looking at Seimanns then. Do you know anything about LinkSys EtherFast Routers? These seem to go cheap on ebay....

I just ordered a 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card from ebay $10 shipped.

Thanx,
    THe 3com should work beautifully. Linksys.....??? hmmmm. The only thing I recall is that they had some bad firmware on a few occasions but I think that was some years ago.

I'd go for an Abit or Epox Nforce2 or kt333 board.

I use an 8rda personally. Though my knoppix remastering box is a dual 2400+ on an MSI K7D master (very slick).

OK, I just installed the 3Com 3C905B-TX 10/100 PCI Ethernet Card and have no joy! Its detected as network device eth0 upon boot up, but ifconfig shows only lo. pump -i eth0 returns operation failed and netcardconfig dhcp broadcast just gives up after a while. Does this sound familiar to anyone, what am I doing wrong? The lights on the ethernet card are green and the cable modem sees the PC....

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I use a Linux router myself but I have bought several Seimens routers from www.pricewatch.com. for $25 shipped. Also the Realtek1839 NIC card always works great w/ Linux- even the cheap ones for $5 shipped.
    BTW, what do you mean by a linux router?

TIA,

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast