Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antivirus Software for Linux?

Senior Member registered user
    ClamAV (open source) runs on linux. I think they could put that on knoppix and load the definitions into a ramdisk so you could sync it up to the newest version and scan Windows systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Maybe you should add the extra 5 9's on there (as in the uptime on a linux/unix system for example) eg. 99.99999% with probably more 9's on the end for the extent of windows problem as compared to any possible "problems" with linux.
    The reason why I said what I said was because of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah in a sarcastic tone
    WOW, linux is soooo cool, that you need to make sure that everyone knows that linux cannot be beaten. Windows sucks and linux is the king. Yah we all have heard it.
    Yet windows continues to domminate the market. Windows has killed Novell, Mac, and the others (Though, are rising from the ashes and re-grouping/joining linux/*nix). But still, to a linux user, they refuse to see that truth. Linux still needs to grow and it still has a few years to mature before it is going to be any REAL threat to windows.
    I am just sick of hearing this crap that linux is the savior of the world and petty little things like adding .99999 to the end of linux is just immature. That is why I said an equally immature comment.

Trolls are usually wise, so I accept that complement. Only I don't have one for you.

To sum up some of the comments of others (Stephen) you only need a virus scanner on linux if you use it to scan windows boxes or are using it in conjunction with a mail server to scan email (again email going to windows boxes). If you do not fall into one of these two scenerios, then you're wasting your time with the virus scanner.

Just because you don't have windows systems doesn't mean you can't spread viruses. You could get an e-mail attatchment that you can't open that you forward to someone else who has windows who opens it. Plus virus infected e-mails coming in just waste space. Scrubbing them is a big help. (My yahoo account gets filled up with 6mb of "Latest Microsoft Security Patch" each day.

Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    (My yahoo account gets filled up with 6mb of "Latest Microsoft Security Patch" each day.
    Try Swendeleter works great less filling in both flavors of the OS.

can win box get infected?

I just got started with Knoppix but I fear without my firewall and virus software running, my WinXP might get infected. I've just started witn Linux and can't give up everything from WinXP yet. I previously got burnt with Mandrake and have stayed away for a year. I'm back to try open source again but I just have some doubts about my security .

Re: can win box get infected?

Quote Originally Posted by Badgermc
    I just got started with Knoppix but I fear without my firewall and virus software running, my WinXP might get infected. I've just started witn Linux and can't give up everything from WinXP yet. I previously got burnt with Mandrake and have stayed away for a year. I'm back to try open source again but I just have some doubts about my security .
    Don't worry about viruses. Linux wont get infected and neither will XP (I'm assuming XP is on another partition and tuhs not running when Linux is running...of course we can't guarantee it won't be infected when XP itself is running

Using a firewall is not a bad idea though. You might want to try Firestarter. apt-get install firestarter

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Don't worry about viruses. Linux wont get infected and neither will XP (I'm assuming XP is on another partition and tuhs not running when Linux is running...of course we can't guarantee it won't be infected when XP itself is running

Using a firewall is not a bad idea though. You might want to try Firestarter. apt-get install firestarter
    Thanks for the firewall advice. I just run knoppix from the CD and see my hard drive lite come on. I just wondered why my drive is being acessed.

Thanks for the firewall advice. I just run knoppix from the CD and see my hard drive lite come on. I just wondered why my drive is being acessed.
    Do you already have a /swap partition on the drive if so Knoppix will use it by default.

I don't have a Linux partition just the Win swap file.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Do you already have a /swap partition on the drive if so Knoppix will use it by default.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12