Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC Help available on irc.freenode.net channel #knoppix

IRC Help available on irc.knoppix.net channel #knoppix

Hello,

I am using mIRC on windows 98. I couldn't get connected to the openprojects network.

Could you please send instructions on which net to select?

Thanks,
    Charlie Patterson

Senior Member registered user
    the openprojects network changed their name

all of these servers should work
    irc.knoppix.net
    irc.debian.org
    or see

http://www.freenode.org/irc_servers.shtml
    for lots more

IRC Help available on irc.knoppix.net channel #knoppix

Hello,

Thanks for your advice.

In my case running mIRC I did not have access to the servers mentioned. I was able to get to the knoppix channel by going to http://www.linuxlookup.com/irc.php and clicked on either link. When there I typed in #knoppix and then clicked 'Join'.

The folks there were able to assist me. What a 'great' support system.

Regards,
    Charlie Patterson

Member registered user

yay!

I'd just like to echo the sentiments expressed by the others in this thread.

I had a small annoyance with Mozilla last night and was able to fix it quickly with the help of the kind folks manning #knoppix.

Thanks to all those who volunteer their time to help us new users!

Member registered user
    A french channel is now available @ #knoppixfr on the same host
    (officiel www.knoppixfr.org channel... )
    so see u soon

A Italian IRC KNOPPIX channel !!

The First ITALIAN channel is now available on the net ' IRC.OLTRELINUX.COM' , channel: #knoppix

so see u soon

Vincenzo 'PuCCiO' Ciaglia
    http://www.pucciolab.org

CAn we get a chan op in there to ban "James"? he is regestering the nicks "knoppix" "knoppix_" and so on, and kicking anyone that uses tehm... If you recall, that is the default nick for a few of the IRC clients in knoppix..... this is a BAD thing to allow to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by god
    CAn we get a chan op in there to ban "James"? he is regestering the nicks "knoppix" "knoppix_" and so on, and kicking anyone that uses tehm... If you recall, that is the default nick for a few of the IRC clients in knoppix..... this is a BAD thing to allow to happen.
    You can talk to chanserv to find out who has op. not me. however, people should really set their nickname. However, he can still kick people even if he is banned from the channel. He owns the nickname "knoppix". The only thing is to write to the overall network admin as ask them to own the nick knoppix, and /msg people who join with the nickname knoppix asking them to change their nick to something else.

You will get flamed on #knoppix

A friend of mine tried asking a question on #knoppix this weekend.

First she was ignored, the a user "nathan-" sent her to a url with .gif of bart simpson writing on a blackboard "I will go to google before asking stupid questions".

Great way to built a user community guys.

Steve

IRC is a highly variable thing. And even "good" tech assist channels vary by the whim of the people on them.

But even with #knoppix being a fairly good channel compared to the other linux related ones(try those sometime if you want to learn what linux/unix grade rudeness really is), it's still not quite to the point of being even close to the AOL tech support line level you are likely expecting it to be.

Knoppix is just the start in the changing of the linux culture from hardcore no life dorklings who consider using any other editor than vi to be a hellworthy offense, to linux versions where you can boot from the CD and with fairly minimal levels of pain get a lot of hardware and software to run "easily".

If you haven't seen the evolution of Linux its easy to forget that getting any GUI based linux to run on a machine with 40 megs of RAM and 120 megs of free space inside of 20 minutes has been pretty much a no chance in hell proposition.

While the technology has evolved astoundingly, don't expect the culture to change at the same pace. You'll still have to do most of the work yourself, and even then, documentation is laughable. Want info on linux GUIs or windows managers ? 2 lines of descriptions per GUI/WM on the sourceforge download pages is about all there is at best, and its ALL like that for anything not heavily mainstream.

This isn't just a matter of the garbage man being able to launch his fishing boat at the yacht club launch, this is worse, this is breaking down the door to the server closet and trying to get answers out of the autistic savants that live in it.

The ONLY way to build a more mainstream linux culture is for windows using type people to actually learn it and build their own support base. And so far, knoppix is about the easiest way to learn linux by actually using it. Maybe if they have a linux+ cert for dummies book out there that might help.

Until this evolution happens, forget going to an IRC channel for tech assist if your feeling might be potentially hurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast