Thread: Adding HD, New HD Install

Junior Member registered user

Adding HD, New HD Install

I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

- The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.

- On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.

- I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?

- When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?

Thanks for any help!

Ken

Re: Adding HD, New HD Install

Quote Originally Posted by kgw
    I have read the forums and the docs but don't understand how to do this.

I have had Knoppix 3.1 running on a 12 gig hd. I used knx-hdinstall to set it up. It was the only OS on this machine and the only HD.

Yesterday I added a new larger HD as hda and made my existing drive hdb. Using Knoppix 3.3 (the Nov14/03 version) and knoppix-installer I did a debian type install to the new hd.

I formatted the new hd with a boot partition, a swap partition, a partition to install knoppix to and then a large fourth partition which I intend to make my home partition. I left the old hd, now hdb, as it was. The installer sees both drives and it did install knoppix to hda but there are several things I need to sort out.

- The large partition I intended to use for /home didn't get formatted and I haven't been able to figure out how to format it or how to get the OS to use that as /home rather than the /home directory it created in the smaller partition I put knoppix in. I did see some instructions about how to do this that ended with a note that they were not required with the new installer. I used the new installer but I didn't see any place to deal with this.
    su - root
    mke2fs -j /dev/hdax (x=Partitionsnummer, look up with fdisk -l /dev/hda)
    mount -t ext3 /dev/hdax /mnt
    mv /home/* /mnt
    umount /mnt
    in /etc/fstab:
    /dev/hdax /home ext3 defaults 0 0
    mount -a

- On boot it looks like the system is using the swap partion on the old drive, now hdb, rather than the new swap partition on hda. I tried to use cfdisk when it came up during the install to go into hdb and change the type of that partiion on hdb so it wouldn't see that as a swap partiion but it said hdb was readonly and wouldn't let me do anything with it.
    mkswap /dev/hday ( y=Swappartition)
    in /etc/fstab
    change /dev/hdby swap swap ... to /dev/hday swap swap
    swapoff /dev/hdby
    swapon /dev/hday

- I have a bunch of stuff in /home on hdb. Can I just copy that (data files, settings for mozilla, etc) to /home on hda and expect it to work?
    Yes

- When I get past these things, how do I get hdb to become extra space for my /home partition that can be used in addition to /home on hda?
    mkdir /home/extraspace

put this in /etc/fstab
    /dev/hdbz /home/extraspace ext3 defaults 0 0

or use LVM

Install Webmin a nice Browser based Frontend for Systemadministration

Thanks for any help!

Ken

Junior Member registered user
    Wow, amazing. Thanks for all of those answers, they worked perfectly (other than mozilla not liking something in my profile as copied over).

Thanks very much.

Ken

Senior Member registered user
    Helped me too 'ub' - I've added this to my personal 'Linux hints' file, which is getting so huge I'd better buy fanfold printer paper! (showing my age!)

(It includes gems such as:-

ffmpeg -i foo.dv -s 352x240 -vcodec mpeg1video -ab 224 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -hq -b 1150 -f vcd foo_vcd.mpg

My personal favourite!)

Thanksfor the help.

Stu.....