Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB Hub problem

I have now tried various combinations of BIOS switches (enable/disable USB, assign IRQ to USB or not, enable/disable ACPI) and boot options (noapic, acpi=off, pci=noacpi), and nothing works - it looks like my USB controller is not going to work with my Linux version.

Oh well... I have gotten myself a CompactFlash-to-IDE adapter now, which means rebooting my system every time I want to change the cf-card, but which works otherwise well, so I can do without USB. Thanks to everybody who hast tried to help !

Heiko

Senior Member registered user
    You are not alone, Heiko. I've tried a load of BIOS options, too. From the dmesg listing it seems that all my usb kit is present and correctly recognised. It seems that something needs to be activated/pointed at/whatever it's called and that's my problem. I have no idea what information to post here and what questions to ask. It seems pointless posting reams of output to bore everyone. Afraid we need to bribe the experts like aay, ricky and Stephen to take pity on us!
    OG.
    PS. When I switch APIC off in BIOS (which I always do, not being a WXP user) the Live K3.2 version switches it back ON!

It must be something I'm not doing. The SuSE live CD not only installs USB but also correctly recognises the printer attached therethrough. The printer list as well as the printer remain stubbornly absent from the print manager, however. Same problem. Some kind of file/device association is missing? Please can one of the gurus assist? It's got to be a simple answer? Is there a generic instruction available to deal with this problem?
    Many Thanks,
    OG.

Well, the 3.3 CD works exactly as advertised - everything seems to work, including USB hub. The problems only seem to arise in the installed version. Curious?
    OG.

Heiko: how to load usb-storage manually:

Hello Heiko,
    I saw you post on knoppix.net and would like to ask you a question:
    How do you load usb-storage manually? I have a Knoppix hard disk installed laptop with UHCI and usbviewer has detected the hub. I don't have usb-storage in my /proc/bus/usb. I can't do a make menuconfig as suggested by linux-usb.org because I don't know which directory I am supposed to it, plus I don't know how to recompile the kernel. I can't get any devices other than the hub to appeeat in usbviewer.When trying with a scanner, using dmesg I get errors about the USB devices not accepting the new address.
    Please help. Thanks,
    Frank

Re: Heiko: how to load usb-storage manually:

Quote Originally Posted by cputoaster
    Hello Heiko,
    I saw you post on knoppix.net and would like to ask you a question:
    How do you load usb-storage manually? I have a Knoppix hard disk installed laptop with UHCI and usbviewer has detected the hub. I don't have usb-storage in my /proc/bus/usb. I can't do a make menuconfig as suggested by linux-usb.org because I don't know which directory I am supposed to it, plus I don't know how to recompile the kernel. I can't get any devices other than the hub to appeeat in usbviewer.When trying with a scanner, using dmesg I get errors about the USB devices not accepting the new address.
    Please help. Thanks,
    Frank
    To load manually as root modprobe usb-storage the module should already be on the system to have it load every time on boot edit the file /etc/modules and add the usb-storage on a line by itself this also done as root.

Thanks, I did that and the usb-storage appeared properly in /proc/bus/usb/drivers. I still have the problem of the USB device not accepting the new address as given by "dmesg |grep USB".

HELP~! and hello

I think i have encountered similar problems
    I am not able to see AANY devices with USB view, and yet previously with A cd image, I saw devices fine.

here's the obligatory grep results:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
    usb.c: registered new driver hub
    usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 20:50:29 Oct 3 2003
    usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd800, IRQ 10
    usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 10
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
    usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 11
    usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
    usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x402/0x5621) is not claimed by any active driver.
    usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 2
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 3
    usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:1d.1-1 address 4

I tried to mod usb-storage but don't seem to see any change/... I will check out linux-usb.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12