Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

Member registered user

Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

Hi knoppix people,
    I've a friend who has a laptop with XP (fat32) 10G on it plus an external 40G USB HD.

What I'm trying to find out is what is the best way to backup the laptop's HD image to the USB HD (or restore) under knoppix??

"dd"-ing ...? Or just backup via kbackup or similar? Other??

Thank you
    rob

Senior Member registered user
    cp ?
    "man cp" for options..

Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

If he's just trying to backup files then I suggest taring and zipping.

tar -czvf /mnt/windows_files /mnt/usb_drive

Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

Re: Using knoppix to backup XP to USB HD

--Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

--Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Personally, I have not yet used this utility but you may want to try the partimage tool found on knoppix. You can find info on this tool at www.partimage.org. This should help if he needs to backup and restore the partition in a norton ghost like way.

Just make sure the first partition is mounted and readable and the second is mounted and writeable.

Yuck! Please do write them. I didn't know that. I have only used this to backup files onto a cd-r/rw so I guess that's why I haven't had any problems. If i ever get a dvd-r/rw though this would become a problem. I should buy some more hard drives! Thanks

Member registered user

This is exactly what I was trying to find! Thanks!

rob

--Actually I was completely wrong about the 2GB filesize limitation. SuSE 7.3 suffers from this, Debian does not. My apologies for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Personally, I use ' mc ' for most all my copying needs. Insert-key to highlight files, Tab to move to the other window, cd to destination dir, Tab again to get back to the source window, and F5 to copy. Anything I have to delete, ' mc ' is a must. I've been Root for over 5 years now, and never trashed a filesystem due to a mistyped ' rm ' command.

--Warn: Tar, gzip, bzip2, bash, cat, etc. all suffer from a 2GB filesize limitation. I'll be writing a note to the Debian developers demanding to have this fixed before the next release. In this world of cheap 160GB drives, ancient 2GB filesize limits are completely out of the question!

Not a problem. It's easy to get things mixed up. Thanks for posting a reply.

Member registered user

Trouble with partimaged?

I was messing around with partimaged and got the following error on use:

knoppix@ttyp2[knoppix]$ partimaged
    partimaged: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any idea anyone?i

Re: Partimage

I was looking at some posts over at the linuxtag site earlier today and I remember reading that others were having this problem. Someone chimed in that there is a bug that affects partimage in the 12-12 release. You may want to look over there and see what else is said about the issue. Hopefully, if there is a bug, it will get reported back to Klaus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast