Thread: I have two questions...

I have two questions...

Why are Linux programs (packages, applications, whatever...) all so terrible for naming conventions? It always looks like:
    am-yero.nl.sp.deb or fvwm95-2.0.43b-1.i386.rpm

Why can't anyone use a real name like:
    Linux Painter v.3.4 .i386.rpm

Why hasn't anyone "invented" the ability to be able to use spaces in Linux?
    Is there some kind of reason for this? Like:
    My New Hampsters Feeding Schedule.txt looks so much better than nhfc.123nksa.txt

I don't know about item number 1. Naming conventions are a matter of personal preference. You can, if you insist, embed space(s) into a file name. However, they can be a pain to work with. To use a space in a file name (I don't) you have to escape the space. As in

foo\ bar

as in
    touch foo\ bar<enter>

Enjoy!

That is what I mean... why doesn't it just exist that spaces are accepted? Why do they even need to be escaped!? I know that it is a Windows/Linux thing, but it is another one of those things that make it difficult to get used to, coming from Windows. In windows I can name files like I do in English. But with Linux I need to do one of these: IAmNotAllowdToUseSpacesInThisFileName.pdf To make it readable, I need to capitalized it... but then I need to remember which letters are in uppercase to be able to use it.

Again, I love all the philosophy and gushiness within Linux... but there are some things that Windows does easier. (No I didn't say better, just easier) Like how hard is it to install a program. A double click and away it goes!

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    That is what I mean... why doesn't it just exist that spaces are accepted? ... but there are some things that Windows does easier. (No I didn't say better, just easier) Like how hard is it to install a program. A double click and away it goes!
    It depends on the program you use whether spaces are "just accepted" or not. If you go typing in I want my filename like this in a file save-as dialog or open dialog, things will generally be just fine. It's when you go to a command line, or into some programming, that having filenames with spaces can mean you have to remember about escaping things. It's not hard to escape things, generally just putting it in "double quotes.eg" will do, and generally command line autocompletion (hit tab to complete the filename or twice to see remaining options) will take care of it for you!

As for installing software, are you really saying apt-get install package-name or aptitude aren't good enough? Is it not as easy as it is under windows? If something isn't in Debian stable of course things can be a little trickier ...

Actually I have never done an apt-get yet. I am slowly trying to understand Linux. I don't want to get in over my head, or get overwhelmed so I am taking baby-steps. I want to know linux, not just use it. I would love to write a book on my progress "Windows geek learns Linux Geekedness" Taking all the differences between Windows and Linux and making a clear explanation between the two.

This is what I know to be a challenge to any Linux from Windows newbie.

Differences:
    Operating Environment
    GUI (Understanding the deferences between X.org, X-Windowing, XFree86, Windows Managers, Plus the differences between Gnome, KDE types)
    File Management (No more Explorer... Now it is Konqurer, X-plorer *If they ever get it going* and others)
    Disk Partitions (Still don't have a grasp on this)
    Command Line (DOS doesn't work in Linux!!! What the heck!!!)

Similarities:
    NONE!

I don't see what the big difference is with Linux and filenames-with-spaces, "coming from the Windows world". In Windows you can type spaced-filenames in "Save As..." dialogs or select them in Explorer, and it works fine. In KDE you can type spaced-filenames in "Save As..." dialogs or select them in Konqueror, and it works fine. In the Windows command-line, you have to enclose spaced-filenames with quotes to make things work. In the Linux bash shell, you have to use escape characters with long filenames to make things work. It doesn't sound like there's any major functionality difference here at all.

ALL operating systems have to have SOME way of dealing with spaced-filenames on the command-line/shell. Command-line commands take in multiple parameters, separated by spaces. If you don't distinguish spaces in a filename, how is it supposed to know which part is a file and which part are other parameters? No operating system is THAT clever.

At least in the bash shell, you can type the first few letters of a filename and press TAB... and the rest of the name will be automatically filled in for you. Lack of this feature drives me crazy when I try to work in a Windown command-prompt.

I don't know... I guess I am just picking on one of the million differences I need to relearn. I think I just got sick of all the different software names, that I now have to try, to see if I like them.

I have been working on a killer apps list for over two years and have a huge list made of only the best ones in each category. Now I need to start all over again, only some of the names of the programs are not that clear. For example, most seem to be like this: fvwm95-2.0.43b-1.i386.rpm I know the breakdown of filename-versionnumber-computertype-installertype. I am used to names like: AVG antivirus v4.5.exe

Actually, I am not really looking for an answer. I guess I should have said that I was just ranting. This was the result of reading about Linux, then having to remember all the differences from what I am used to. It is sometimes overwhelming all the little things, that make up the big difference.

Well, for everyone that doesn't like what I have said, please forgive me. I am trying to understand your language. Only it is like learning french. You need to rearrange the words as well as the language. Like blue-jeans are called Jeans-Bleu! Those Friggin' french people!