Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Requesting a nice person..

Ahh...how grand...

rickenbacherus...hmm...what a sad name...just a bunch of argle bargle...or perhaps you're illiterate and havn't heard of a space bar.

1) If you had asked me how to run wget on windows, even though i've been using computers since i was 4 (and i'm 16 now) and *nix from the days of IBM-UNIX, i wouldn't have a clue. And judging by what you said, if i had been told this 4 years ago, i still wouldn't.

2) Making replies with quotes is so childish. It shows that you have HTML skills to show off. Skills i've knows for 8 years. Big deal.

3) I find it interesting that you would belittle my good friend instead of being helpful, since these forums are m,ade to be a place to help people. MinDFreeZ has been a contributer to my channel for a month now, and a good friend for longer. If you'd take time to get to know somebdoy before you flame them, you might not regret it later.

4) Knoppix is a rather young form of linux. I have since advised my friend to get BSD. Perhaps if you had bothered to ask him what he was putting it on, you could have given the same advice.

5) Pounding your "point" of dialup was unnessicary. Its kinda like how mindfreeze pounded the point of asking for some real help...not much difference - OMG i just realized you're at the same level of cheapness as mindfreez!

6) Windows is also not for helpless people. I understood how to setup 6 kinds of daemons on linux in less than 24 hours, and allready had testing version of each up and running...i still don't know EVERYTHING about windows til this day. Thus, it is my opinion that linux is a better os-for-dummies.

7) MinDFreeZ himself told me to tell you this, and i can't agree with it more. "Amazing how the guy with one line of text helped more than you."

I'd like to see how you got any copy of linux in under an hour. Especially since that would require around 541K/sec download assuming each of the average of 3 disks is 650MB which with redhat, mandrake, freebsd, suse, and others is under-estimating. I honestly can't speak for knoppix since i don't own any computers that are crappy enough to really make use of a bootable OS from CD.

9) wget is a very cruddy tool, especially for windows. Its GNU, which i am proud to say i've donated $1.50 to each month for the last 2 years. However, it sucks. On windows, wget is a waste of time. God made windows to be a GUI-based OS, and for any villagfe idiot or even any genius not to realize that is just plain stupid. There is no good reason for MinDFreeZ to get wget, a command-line util, when he can just as easily get a GUI-based file grabber which fully supports resume from sourceforge. Its nuts.

10) if you're going to be mr. macho man and give advice, at least be correct about it. No, it is not always true (and very often is not true) that there is ALWAYS a download site thats not full...this is obvious because linux is growing in demand by 19% each year, and yet there are only around 6% more mirrors being added, hence overcrowding is a big problem.

11) Using AIM or IRC is not being lazy, its being smart. I have sent MinDFreeZ numerous files at speeds over 30k/sec, which is by far greater that i would immagine you could do, and yes, through IRC. Its not being weak or like a baby, its simply being brave enough to ask, and in my case, a good enough person to fill a friend's need.

12) Being a jackass gets people nowhere. I mean, what did you accomplish for the wget sermon? My friend still has not learned squat about wget, and until somebody takes the time to give him a link directly to a guide for wget, or even better contacts him via aim and gives him some 1-on-1, he will never learn it. And that not only dosn't help you or him, it dosn't help the community which you probably claim to like.

13) Opensource is not wget, opensource is being open and a source for knowledge. I learned that from a friend who's now 23 and got his first *nix box when he was 6. Today he knows 3 times what i probably ever will, but unlike you, he's nice enough to answer ANY computer question i ask. he's also not afraid to say I' don't know" and to go do 4 or 5 searches for me until he finds the answer. And he makes it his business to give out URLs.

14) God made links for a reason. If you had put 1/6TH of the time into a link tak that you put into your quote tags, and given the URLs that budhy did, i wouldn't have to spend the past 2 hours of my night trying to teach you how to be a nice person.

15) The lazy one dosn't do the least, he says the least about doing nothing. abouzeis is the laziest person on this entire post, because he not only made a whopping 3 word incomplete sentance for a reply, he also complimented a person who's wrong in all of the 14 ways i've just listed.

Ok so thats what i think. if you have any comments you may send them up your ass, because i'm 16, in college, i know 6 computer languages and can outrun my 1.4GHz Athlon T-Bird box i built myself. Thats all, folks!

Member registered user
    Hi,

Knoppix has arrived at reality. The windows kiddies are here.

Ciao Martin

Member registered user
    Richenbacherus,
    Your reply was appropriate. The sheer volume of these children who think they are experts and but don't know a damn thing is mind boggling. Does no one even look at a FAQ? Or search a site for answers? These kids can't figure it out by clicking on it, so it must be no good or "not ready yet". Personally, I don't know how you can stand to reply to so many of the same "figure this out for me" posts from people who obviously have not bothered to try to figure it out themselves. More power to you, man. People are not properly grateful to you for wasting your life on helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by mightydavefish
    Richenbacherus,
    Your reply was appropriate. The sheer volume of these children who think they are experts and but don't know a damn thing is mind boggling. Does no one even look at a FAQ? Or search a site for answers?
    ha, why dont u check out Richenbacherus' profile, and look at the post about him not knowing how to make a copy of a cd.. then talk about who's dumb.

Member registered user
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down
    to their level and beat you with experience!

Ciao Martin

You're on a board full of people who had no problem getting the ISO, and know that it can be done without too much hassle. You're asking someone to wait on an IRC channel while you download a rather large file, and you got good advice but completely disregarded it. It's also kind of sad you brought in one of your IRC buddies to take your side. I've been lurking here for a while now, and it seems to me that Rickenbacherus is extremely helpful, and has a buttload of helpful posts to back himself up...I'd say cut your losses and enjoy Knoppix. When all is said and done it really is a great distro...and that's all I'll say about that.

Senior Member registered user
    OK, first, Ricky, don't sweat it. You are correct. I know, I teach kids like this all day and they don't know when to quit while they're behind (ie: when they're wrong). BTW, you've helped me greatly in many past posts and problems I've had. Every single time I took your advice, I learned something new about Linux.

Second, I recommend that we abandon this thread, its going nowhere - just make an end and the fools will go elsewhere....

Regards.

obtaining knoppix

Howdy. I bought my knoppix cd from cheapbytes.com. Only costs 5 bucks, needless to say it's well worth it. They accept paypal over there and they ship it right away.

another way to look at this

You guys are getting mean, but I'd like for you to consider this. The more people that we help out willingly and courteously regardless of how little we happen to think of their questions, then the more people are going to become linux/knoppix users. You know what that means? That means that the hardware manufacturers (printers for example) will be more willing to provide linux drivers along with windows drivers for their products. That will make life more pleasant for all of us.

SHUT UP!

Ok guys.. u were all very helpful.... I got the distro the same night i posted this, so now you can stop replying.. unless its just fun. Anywayz.. i dont like pissing ppl off.. or anything like that, so Ricken- whatever.. sorry for not listening to you, you gave great advice.. but you dont have to flame anyone, just because they ask for something that you already know. 1 more thing and im out, the thing about me bringing in one of my IRC "buddies" to help me out.. it wasnt like that, i just gave him the url and told him to check it out cuz it was funny. so that being said. thanks to all of you, and shut up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12