Thread: Wanted desperately: ACPI !!!

Wanted desperately: ACPI !!!

Having seen the long list of laptops running Linux with all but ACPI working properly, I cannot help wondering why an ACPI enabled kernel is still not there in Knoppix I am aware of all these sites with ACPI howto, but they are not clear enough to me (because I have been using Linux for 2 weeks only!), I cannot risk recompiling with patches as suggested in these documentations. Can't someone actualy come up with a hot patch to enable ACPI, and post it in the web so that we all enjoy it? Or am I asking for too much...

Does anyone know if developers of Knoppix are actually working on a means to enable ACPI?

Senior Member registered user

Re: Wanted desperately: ACPI !!!

Quote Originally Posted by fcc
    Having seen the long list of laptops running Linux with all but ACPI working properly, I cannot help wondering why an ACPI enabled kernel is still not there in Knoppix I am aware of all these sites with ACPI howto, but they are not clear enough to me (because I have been using Linux for 2 weeks only!), I cannot risk recompiling with patches as suggested in these documentations. Can't someone actualy come up with a hot patch to enable ACPI, and post it in the web so that we all enjoy it? Or am I asking for too much...

Does anyone know if developers of Knoppix are actually working on a means to enable ACPI?
    I think the main reason for leaving ACPI off is that you can't have both ACPI and APM
    at the same time, and ACPI support in linux is still not quite finished (altough most things
    already work) whereas APM is stable.

If you want a simple solution don't mind doing a looong download from a slow server you
    might want to read this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6154

I was reading an article by Doc Searls of the Linux Journal where he was recounting some of Linus' comments on the recent Linux Lunacy cruise. On of Linus' comments that I found pretty humorous is when the discussion of ACPI came up. He said, "Modern PCs are horrible. ACPI is a complete design disaster in every way. But we're kind of stuck with it. If any Intel people are listening to this and you had anything to do with ACPI, shoot yourself now, before you reproduce." That should give you an idea as to why ACPI is such a pain in Linux. The 2.6 kernel is supposed to have improvements, but I'm wondering if things will be much improved even there.

Acpi is co-developed by Intel,Micro$oft, and Toshiba.
    One of them (not Intel) has a history of never producing anything useful so I'm not
    sure that it's all Intel's fault.

Thanks a lot for pointing out that site, and thanks to Kano who has taken time to put that site up! I followed the instructions, and I got my ACPI on my Dell Inspiron 8600. Unfortunately I went offline immediately, because the patch destroyed the object file for my ethernet driver. Still, I swithched to WinXP and downloaded the driver from Broadcom's site and installed it, and I was back online, and this time with ACPI!!! Very cool!!!

So I strongly suggest people with a laptop: Brake the MS slavery and partition your disk, to put Debian Linux in the new partition, with very little pain, using Knoppix version 3.3, and immediately apply the patch in Kano's page for ACPI. You will love your laptop more!!!

Thanks again and best wishes,

FCC

Quote Originally Posted by apoplex
    http://kano.mipooh.net/

mfg apoplex