Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the simplest versatile hddinstall procedure ever :))

Junior Member registered user

the simplest versatile hddinstall procedure ever :))

hi,

just wanting to share my results after some experiments installing Knoppix on hard disk...

I produced a step-by-step installation procedure for Knoppix on http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~decockd (look for the penguin).

both a full hard disk installation given a Knoppix cd (or at least its iso image) and an installation of the Knoppix cd to hard disk are covered.

the procedures have been tested: it works for me, and I kept it as generic as possible.

enjoy it!

g.

ps: while doing so, I discovered that the usb problem many people have encountered (including me, that is) can easily be solved by mounting the usbdevfs manually... could the Knoppix maintainers have a look at that proposed solution? it requires no great effort and would make Knoppix the most generic system ever...

Senior Member registered user

Re: making knoppix install to hard disk easier than ever

Quote Originally Posted by godot
    ps: while doing so, I discovered that the usb problem many people have encountered (including me, that is) can easily be solved by mounting the usbdevfs manually... could the Knoppix maintainers have a look at that proposed solution? it requires no great effort and would make Knoppix the most generic system ever...
    Try posting to the Bugzilla with the problem and your solution and post the solution here so people searching the forum can find it maybe put it in the tips and tricks section if you would.

Re: making knoppix install to hard disk easier than ever

Can you please help me to install Knoppix 3.3 Linux on a external hard drive usb 2.0? I could make the partitions on my USB HDD. I made a Linux partition and a Linux swap partition and mounting the Linux partition as root. But I cannot boot Linux from my USB HDD. Please help me!!!!!!!

shyavid, can you boot any other os from your usb hdd?

the webserver hosting my website wrt the debian/knoppix hard disk installation has changed: http://godot.studentenweb.org/index.cgi (look for the penguin)...

hi godot,

thanks for the nice step by step on using 'knx-install'. i followed your proceedure the first time i installed knoppix to my HD and it worked like a champ. after a couple of days i reformatted and tried a 'knoppix style' install using 'knoppix-installer'. saw it wasnt what i wanted and so i used 'knoppix-installer' to this time make a "debian style" install, but it didn't set up the CUPS and DHCP n stuff like the old 'knx-install' did.

i know they're saying we shouldn't use 'knx-install', but it seemed to work better and you've still got it listed on your site as the way to do it, so i wanted to see what your thoughts are on the two, as i'm quite new to knoppix/debian, coming over from the gentoo side.

thanks,
    patrick

hi torch206,

nice to hear you like the installation procedure

I tried out several debian/stable and debian/knoppix installation procedures myself, and the knx-hdinstall is the most efficient way to set up a reliable debian machine which really works and is properly configured...

it used to take me *several hours* (not to say days) before my debian/stable box was configured the way I wanted (confirming debian's default suggestions, configuring freetype fonts, X, gtk-eclipse, most recently issued jvm, etc), where `my' knoppix installation procedure now allows me to reinstall my laptop from scratch in much less than an hour... the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box, but I naively :P believe that this is a minor issue if one does not activate too many `incoming' services (e.g., I only accept incoming ssh traffic to my machine(s); CUPS is acceptable too ), there are not too many `untrusted users' (I am the single user of my machine) and one synchronizes on a regular basis with security.debian.org...

note however, that I would certainly not advise a knoppix installation for a unix server machine due to knoppix' testing/unstable nature: use debian/stable if you need a reliable/robust unix server, and debian/knoppix for non-server unix boxes...

cu, g.

Senior Member registered user
    ...the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box...
    I've heard this mentioned as a problem by many people, but after doing many Knoppix installs, this has not cause me any grief at all. Could someone please tell to me what problems they are having.

Godot,
    (my english in not so good and I thing your a Dutchman so...)
    Het wil maar niet lukken. Na een zoveelste poging (Mandrake crasht altijd, debian wil zelf de diskette niet meer lezen bij inlezen van extra drivers, knoppix wil niet booten van HD) Heb ik de stappen onder uw " Hard disk installation of Knoppix cd, booting from a Knoppix cd " gevolgd.

Na stap 14. "lilo -C /boot/lilo.conf" krijg ik de melding:
    Warning: RAID1 install implied by omitted 'boot='
    Fatal: Can't put the boot sector on logical partition 0x0100

De eerste regel op uw website wil ook niet lukken:
    knoppix lang=us dma noprompt
    dan blijft hij bij het booten hangen achter:
    Scanning for Harddisk partition and creating /etc/fstab....

Verder heb ik opgemerkt dat mijn root device hda5 is. En ik die dacht dat dit hde1 is omdat hier mijn Windows op staat.

Verder zijn mijn gegevens:
    1 S-ATA HD
    hde5 -> data (ntfs)
    hde6 -> Software (ntfs)
    hde8 -> linux
    hde7 -> swap

Heb jij enig idee waarom er geen enkele wilt werken?

Knoppix van CD werkt wel, maar dan kan ik geen upate en dergelijke doen.

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    ...the price payed is the testing/unstable nature of the box...
    I've heard this mentioned as a problem by many people, but after doing many Knoppix installs, this has not cause me any grief at all. Could someone please tell to me what problems they are having.
    hi aay,

so far, I have not observed any problem either... I think the testing/unstable nature is something which must be kept in mind, but which does not cause any harm as long as the machine is managed properly to avoid it becomes tested/unreliable/compromised...

cu, g.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast