Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dead thread

Junior Member registered user

dead thread

i am looking for help deciding on a distro. i am using winxp, and need to remain doing so for now. i have never partitioned b4 so ease in doing/learning that would be a plus. i am using a dell dimension 4550 w/ 512 ram, nvidia geforce videocard, and creative labs audigy II platinum ex soundcard. i have been trying to do this for some time now,so would like to begin the process asap, so one that could be totally downloaded and installed with no mail involved is cool. and of course....if i can get it for free without sacrificing quality or convenience(in comparison to other distros) i would like to do that.....all opinions and advice are appreciated thank you guys

rick...this is a knoppix site...you are involved in it and i am anxious so i decided to download knoppix...wish me luck...thanks

ok...you know that feeling most of us have " i know im not retarded"...well that is quickly fleeting. i go to the knoppix index and try to download but can't.....there are a lot of files to choose from, so i have chosen the largest (700m) with the most recent update...right???? when i click on the link i just get a long long list of text....just symbols and stuff....what is the deal...i havent even gotten this os downloaded yet and i need this much tech support....please help, as i am getting frustrated. if/when i run into bumps after getting the os installed i can deal with that....but not this much trouble just to acquire it

Senior Member registered user
    Pheewww! Calm down, will you ?-)

The latest release is KNOPPIX_V3.3-2003-11-19-EN.iso
    The "Get Knoppix" link at the top of this very page will show you a list of
    mirrors; pick one close to home. The garbage you're seeing must be your
    browser displaying the raw ISO. You should do "save as" and point to a disk
    area with at least 700Mb free space. Then burn the ISO file as is to a CD.
    If you're using Nero, that's "File/Burn Image".

Then take some time to get acquainted with the live system before attempting
    partitioning your HD and installing (that's done with the knoppix-installer script).

Sit back, have a look at the FAQs and docs, enjoy the ride.

hey thank you baldy....it must have been the mirror...i did a search w/ ggogle and found another download site...i tried to download it, but it said it would take 63hrs??? i have a cable internet provider, usually have pretty fast transfer rates....checked running processes to make sure nothing was draining my resources, and all was good....so now am in the process of buying knoppix through the mail just so i can get this "trip" as u referred to it, on it's way...which is what i wanted to avoid, wanted to do it all over the net...unless you can bail me out so i can do it all from download...how do i tell if an area has 700m available?...i have a brand new dell (i dont have the specs off hand but i upgraded everything....including memory (not just ram)...do u think u can help or will i be forced to wait for the postman???thank you very much for your time and help baldy/anyone else who might be able to help

p.s. am i using "distro" correctly?...does it just refer to different distributions???

Quote Originally Posted by nachral
    ok...you know that feeling most of us have " i know im not retarded"...well that is quickly fleeting. i go to the knoppix index and try to download but can't.....there are a lot of files to choose from, so i have chosen the largest (700m) with the most recent update...right???? when i click on the link i just get a long long list of text....just symbols and stuff....what is the deal...i havent even gotten this os downloaded yet and i need this much tech support....please help, as i am getting frustrated. if/when i run into bumps after getting the os installed i can deal with that....but not this much trouble just to acquire it
    Instead of left-clicking, right-click on the link and choose 'Save File As' or 'Save Link To Disk'...depending on what browser you're in.

i use mozilla...i will do that thank you champagne

Quote Originally Posted by nachral
    hey thank you baldy....it must have been the mirror...i did a search w/ ggogle and found another download site...i tried to download it, but it said it would take 63hrs??? i have a cable internet provider, usually have pretty fast transfer rates....checked running processes to make sure nothing was draining my resources, and all was good....so now am in the process of buying knoppix through the mail just so i can get this "trip" as u referred to it, on it's way...which is what i wanted to avoid, wanted to do it all over the net...unless you can bail me out so i can do it all from download...how do i tell if an area has 700m available?...i have a brand new dell (i dont have the specs off hand but i upgraded everything....including memory (not just ram)...do u think u can help or will i be forced to wait for the postman???thank you very much for your time and help baldy/anyone else who might be able to help

p.s. am i using "distro" correctly?...does it just refer to different distributions???
    Click the link "Get Knoppix" above. Try the different mirrors and see which one is the fastest for you. They can be slow sometimes, but you should get a fast connection with one of them. Also the time left on the download will decrease as you start downloading...but it shouldn't start at 63 hrs. See if you can get a fast connection using all the mirrors from the "Get Knoppix" link though.

awesome...that is the stupid stuff that i dont know...and need help with....i am sure you along with others are cringing waiting for the posts that will surely follow, once i get it installed...lol.....thanks again champagne...i really do appreciate your time...does it matter whether i use ftp or http....ive been using http, only because ive seen it b4...lol...would the other be faster...what is the actual diff, other than being a different protocol...i mean is one exclusive to a certain os or type of machine?

Senior Member registered user
    Nope, its just a different protocol.

Here are the steps you're looking at-

download the iso

burn an image of the iso

boot from the CD

play around and get a feel for it

use knoppix's utilites to repartiition your hard drive wihtout dataloss
    (partition magic will be easier, but its not free)

1) run the install script
    2) make a partition for knoppix
    3) sit back while it installs. It will ask you a few questions, so read the install guides before-hand.
    4) Reboot and choose to boot into either linux or windows on your XP/Debian dual-boot system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast