--Try ' man passwd ' for more help. Basically, on the CD the root user has no password - and neither does the knoppix user. If you want to allow remote logins to the CD environment, you have to set a password for the existing user(s) or add another one. Same if you install to HD.

--In CD mode, Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F4 are Root shells. (Alt-F5 gets you back to KDE / Xfree86.) From the GUI Konsole shell, you can ' sudo bash ' and it will start a root shell. (Ctrl-D to exit the shell.)

--To set / reset a password for root: (first you must be at a root prompt - see above)

' passwd root ' == If you have to log-in as root, you must now know the password.

For knoppix userid:
' passwd knoppix '

Quote Originally Posted by DW
If I just copy and paste the file, or drag file it remains as the Root for owner and can't be edited.

I have read every post about Root and Passwords (here and LinuxTAG and stuff on the net) and still don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing, but the above worked for me. I've done SU PASSWD and SUDO PASSWD and just PASSWD in root shell, done LOGIN and SU Login and just get frustrated because it's not obvious what I'm actually accomplishing.

Maybe somebody will explain Root Passwords and Linux use better in a post for dumb new users like me sometime.