Thread: downloading and playing games on Knoppix

Member registered user

downloading and playing games on Knoppix

I'm running Knoppix from the cd.
    I went to download.com and downloaded a .exe file to the desktop.

When I go to open the .exe file it ask me what to open it with.

I'm lost at this point.

Can I open a .exe file?
    How do I install the game I downloaded or can't I with Knoppix?

Thanks,

If its a *.exe file, its probably a windows executable, and therefor will only run in windows, or maybe under Wine or WineX.

Go to http://www.happypenguin.org if you are looking for games that run under linux.

Senior Member registered user

Re: downloading and playing games on Knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by spydie
    I'm running Knoppix from the cd.
    I went to download.com and downloaded a .exe file to the desktop.

When I go to open the .exe file it ask me what to open it with.

I'm lost at this point.

Can I open a .exe file?
    How do I install the game I downloaded or can't I with Knoppix?

Thanks,
    It isn't possible to install anything to a live filesystem with the exception of a few scripts that can install select apps while runinng from cd. You can find thoise scripts here:

www.kano.mipooh.net

I wouls also highly recommend reading our documentation section linked at the top of this page. You will find many answers to your questions both there and by searching the forums.

Spydie, I think we are on the same wave pattern here. I have enjoyed the games that come with Knoppix, notably the Chromium game, but I'm getting restless. So, I was going to post something about downloading some of the "other" neat games that I have read in some of the other Linux installs - like Tux Runner - i think thats the name of it.

I still can't get BubbleFreeze to run on my system - it goes into the System Tray as it is loading, and then just dissappears - no window, no errors, no nothing. I have heard the game is pretty neat.

As to an answer to your question: EXE file type huh??? From what I hear, Linux doesn't use extensions the way Windows does, and an EXE is definately sounding like a Windows program. Try running it with WINE. WINE is the Knoppix/Linux equivalent of Windows - I think the "W" is an acronym for Windows. From what I hear, Wine can run about almost anything that runs in Windows.

Where did you download the game/program? Somewhere that states Windows games/programs? If it was on a Linux/Knoppix download area, I stand corrected on it running with Wine, but if it said anything about it being for Windows. I think I made a point.

Glad your getting your feet wet here
    Cuddles
    [ps] any one have any good games for Linux? Point me to them, and make the explanation easy - I'm a budding newbie here

One last thing: I am running Knoppix from the Live CD, with a persistant Knoppix config and Home on the hard drive. Do I need to always click on the Save Knoppix Config all the time? Do I even need to keep doing this? If I install any new software for Knoppix, will it be placed in the Home and saved Config I have on the hard drive.

I know, a shopping list of questions, but, soon I'm gonna put it all on a new system and the hard drive will be completely Knoppix/Debian - can ya help out an aspiring newbie to the new OS of choice.

Thanks

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles

One last thing: I am running Knoppix from the Live CD, with a persistant Knoppix config and Home on the hard drive. Do I need to always click on the Save Knoppix Config all the time? Do I even need to keep doing this? If I install any new software for Knoppix, will it be placed in the Home and saved Config I have on the hard drive.

Thanks
    I was also wondering the same things.

Cuddles, I tried to send you a PM but could not.
    Could you pm or email me. I would like to chat somemore about Knoppix
    You can email me at far at wat.midco.net

Spydie, I tried to PM you as well, it failed with an error.

I don't have PM enabled, and even if I did, as before, it didn't work for some reason. So, I disabled it. Unfortunately, even though it is disabled, it still shows the "PM" click box below my posts. I got your email addy, so we can communicate on other topics to save Newsgroup Bandwidth here.

Talk to ya later,
    Cuddles

Junior Member registered user
    I take it you mean Frozen Bubble and Tux Racer?
    Something you may want to try is open up a shell (Konsole) and type in frozen-bubble. I don't know if that's the executable's name or not, so type in frozen[TAB] (so, frozen and then hit the [TAB] key and file completion will kick in).
    Post any error messages that you may get.

I can guarantee that *.exe files are Windows binaries. Using WINE (stands for "WINE Is Not An Emulator") is hit and miss.
    I can play the game Fallout 2 perfectly, and Deus Ex (with no h/w acceleration) runs better than in Windows XP, but if I try to play DXBall, it fails miserably. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri shows only half the screen, and the fonts on it are black on my machine. Diablo II wanted the CD in the drive (even though it *was* in the drive). Those are just a few examples.
    If you run a program like Crossover Office (which you can't do on the live-cd portion, and you probably can't run any of the above stuff either on the live-cd), you should be able to run a large number of MS Office - type apps.
    Even so, there's OpenOffice.org and StarOffice, which run natively in Linux.

If you're willing to do a HD install, you will find that there's a Linux equivalent to anything on Download.com or anywhere else. Synaptic and apt-get (Knoppix / Debian package manager) is a wonderful thing, if not overwhelming at first. There's 11000+ applications there. A lot won't make sense, but some of them will. And you can always ask.

I forgot to mention WineX from Transgaming. $5/month lets you run lots of newer Windows games that require DirectX (provided you buy the games )

Edit: Removed off-topic comment

Oh, one more thing.
    I can't remember if Java enabled in the browser on the live-CD.
    If it is, then you can go to Java Boutique to play the Java port.

http://javaboutique.internet.com/Froz_Bubb/