Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix

Member registered user
    the SuSE Live-CD is an entirely different concept anyway; it tries to show people the pleasures of Yast2, other than that it's just well, kinda, crippled
    In short, I don't like it, Knoppix does a much better job with autodetection, has more features, fewer bugs, less bloat and it's actually intended for people who want to get real work done!

Just my 2 cents worth..

p.s.: The "full install" SuSE 9 ain't bad though!

I've tried Morphix, Knoppix, slax (won't work for me) and I just tried to install or boot from PCLinux Live CD (can't find the kernal image on the cd I burned). So far out of all of these Knoppix seems to work best (Oh! Damn small Linux worked good also). I really wanted to try PClinux because I understand that I can use both Gnome and KDE. Depending on how I feel I like to have both Gnome and KDE installed so as to boot into either one if I feel like it. This is why I wanted to try PClinux but to no avail. I can't even find answers to my problem on PClinux online or doing a web search. Suse to me is the best full distro out there but I'm running with limited resources so I can't get Suse 9 and run on my machine. I have Suse 8. Seems like Knoppix rules when it comes to Live CD distros!

Senior Member registered user
    I'm with BaldYeti, when I openned this thread, I expected a flame-city, but, to my surprise, it was informative, and, well, civilized...

Now, my 2 shillings worth...

I have not tried anything other than Knoppix, and, for that matter, Knoppix did run flawlessly -=- with a few cheatcodes, and some selected purchasing of hardware, precisely, a WinModem issue.

Knoppix did something that no other OS has done, for me, that is. It introduced me to a world outside of Windows OS's. It brought me into, what I feel, is the future, Linux. Knoppix was, like I like to use, a kid in a candy store - with an all expenses paid account.

Knoppix was slick, somewhat easy to translate from a Windows World user, and it ran like a campion horse, for days on end, without requireing rebooting every day. Adding software was simple, and easy, and didn't require rebooting six times to get it running. Sheesh, I installed Win98, and I counted four (required) reboots to get it running, Knoppix hard drive installed in just one: boot to CD, install, and reboot into hard drive, thats it.

As for the "flavor" issue, all I can say is, what ever works for you. Considering we are all up against the "Mighty Microsoft" monopoly, Linux as a whole, it is amazing that any OS can handle some of the "microsoft specific" hardware issues, that exist. Linux, as a whole, does very well to tackle these problems. But, then again, when you have a OS that is supported by OpenSource, and a community of talented people behind it, hey, why shouldn't it succeed?

The "war" has started, Microsoft is turning its attention toward a "small" competition. I am sure that "someone" is behind the issues of "locking up" the OpenSource process, not naming names, but, IMHO, I think it has something to do with microsoft. I am quite sure that Microsoft knows how to "pull the plug" on Linux, and that would be to lock down the talent behind Linux, through the Openness of it.

Microsoft is natorious at taking out companies, not that this has been in the news lately, not much can go up against them, and win. Considering the magnitude of the "Company". Microsoft has gotten where it is today, through the use of "swallowing" companies whole, or throwing them into a lawsuit, until the compitition runs out of resources to continue to fight it.

Don't get me wrong, Microsoft is good, the products are good, the OS's, well, ok, they are getting to about average now, I'm being honest here. But, Microsoft has lost its "edge", that "new cutting edge look and feel", and it releases a lot of its OS's on its history. Win98 was just a little re-hash of Win95, WinNT was groundbreaking, but a lot of the newer OS's are just "mix and match" of this OS with that OS, stuff. Thats breaking down an OS to its smallest parts, and seeing what they have, mostly, in common with what they already have out.

Microsoft did one thing, in its early days, get a "main-stream" GUI on (almost) everyones desk, work location, etc...

Now, I may be seeing this all with "new" Linux eyes, the "new" OS. I never saw a "Linux" GUI in my life, I always thought Linux was closely related to its predicessor, UNIX - and thought it not only was GUI'less, but only had a command line, what I would liken to DOS. But, Knoppix floored me, made me seriously look to Linux as my new OS, and have since, made my system only Linux.

I think Linux is the next "evolutionary" step, in a long history of "where computers are going."

And before I leave, I'd like to say, that this computer evolutionary scale is somewhat like the evolution of man, and goes something like this:

DOS --> Windows running under DOS --> WIndows --> Linux --> who knows

Cuddles

PCLinuxOS

I think you have to realise this is apples and oranges.
    Knoppix is way more mature....
    It als started from a firmer base. Texstar has to start off with a quirky system with Mandrake and fix lots of issues before it can even boot...

I haven't actually tried it but from the reports so far it appears way better than the official MandrakeMove offering....

Just a quick correction cuddles ... thats PC evolutionary scale not comuter evolutionary scale
    Big difference....
    (take say VMS)
    punch cards-> TOS -> DOS's -> virtual machines -> DecWindows ->death

Whats really strange is that DOS was such a massive step backwards....
    Almost like humans regressed back to something before apes ...

In the 80's most computers were multiuser/mutlitasking.
    Virtual machines were common

Then DOS came along and we threw out the baby with the bathwater.
    Its actually amazing becuase Linux is nothing special, just the timing of it. BEOS Came and went, then got dug up and resurected by apple.
    BSD has been around for ever.... (so it seems)
    All of these have different strong points and weak points, Linux is just the success ... technically BSD is 'nicer' but its also a heck of a lot of trouble.

GoWater,

Good point, I should have clarified my statement, I guess I assumed that most people, like me, are coming from a PC / Windows background, and "migrating" over to the Linux side.

I didn't mean to imply "this" was something that was applied to main-frames, or workstations connected to those main-frames ( most being dumb-terminals -=- oops, maybe I should change that for the Politically Correct statement Dumb-Terminal = Intelectually Challenged Terminals )

Sorry for the assumption that we were talking about Personal Computers, and thus, the statement of what "I" feel the Personal Computer Evolutionary Scale...

Just to poke fun at you GoWater - you didn't clarify your statement about "PC" [giggle] Did you mean Politically Correct, or Personal Computer [giggle] j/k

Cuddles

OUCH

darn'it!!!
    Theirs me being a pedant and leaving a glaring error

Actually the reason I pointed it out is its important to realise just how much DOS was a regression and how much compatibility with DOS has held back PC's. (or bus challenged computers as we call them today)

Its amazing to look at the casualty list on the way of better things than DOS and its progeny. AMIGA to name just one.

We tend to think of the casualties of the 'browser wars' or the casualties of the 'Corel skirmish' both very sad and regrettable but forget that the whole hardware side was crippled too.

All of this was available in BSD/Linux/BEOS from day one and only today is OS support recovering from someone copying someones code they thought wasn't even worth copyrighting or defending (QDos) ...

In the meantime we have had the market dominated to such a point that most manufacturers actually only made Windows products. They even went further and made half products (like winmodems and winprinters)

Anyway please don't apologise..... you made a good point, I just liked what you said and wanted to add to it even more.

OMG

I remember those "wars" - even the Stacker Skirmish...

I just wanted to say, you were right, sometimes we don't think about "everything" that has happened to this point, and just graze over the ones we "think" were important.

I always thought IBM and OS/2 Warp were going to give Microsoft a run for the money, and then the fiasco with IBM and Apple (the supposed "vapor-ware" of Pink)...

Its the same thing in the Noise Reduction world - audio - Dolby is actually lame when it comes down to noise reduction. You can easily play a Dolby B or C encrypted audio without having any Dolby decoder, just decrease your treble - NOW, you want to talk about Noise Reduction - DBX is WAY better - and you HAVE TO have a decoder, or it is almost un-listenable.

What happened - Dolby got to market faster, and was taken by Companies and Manufacturers before DBX could even walk in the door. Not to mention that Dolby had the "trendy" double-D logo - another similarity of the Personal Computer World (corolation)

Appologize? Me? Hmmmmmm, why??? You made a good point, so did I, no appology needed, on either side. I took no offense to your pointing out something I missed, all for the good

Cuddles

Stacker

Ooh I remember all that pointless violence and it reminded me of the disk defrag debacle....
    More recently but very much forgotten is the Antarctic Countries Peace Initiaive or acpi as we call it now.

Apparently it was an international agreement that everyone signed up to the the United States of Redmond decided not comply....
    the infamous win98 dev team (I think its a really secret special forces group) went in and somehow they rewrote the whole thing covertly so it only worked for Redmond.

I might be bordering on silly now.....

Junior Member registered user

Is Suse free?

Hi I'm confused to the status of Suse Linux. Is it free or is it commercial software? On the web site, you can download both the live cd and install version. However, I seen it for sale at compusa. so I'm not sure.

Hi I'm confused to the status of Suse Linux. Is it free or is it commercial software?
    Yes, to both...
    There is a 'free' version of SuSE (a friend is running it), and there is a commercial packaged SuSE OS, with it you get about 7 or so CD's, and manual(s).

-

I don't know if I've said this here but my $0.02...

If you can run knoppix without problems run knoppix.

If you have to run RedHat to run proprietary software run RedHat.

If you like the almost completely manual approach of Slackware run Slackware.

If you like SuSE and all of the available packages for SuSE run SuSE.

If you like debian based systems run a debian based system.

I don't like knoppix as an installed OS so I don't run knoppix hd installs, but that is my choice.

Linux is all about choices, and because of choices I have always been able to find a distro to (a) run on the hardware I needed to use and (b) have the packages I needed. On my wife's computer (almost 2 years ago) redhat installed flawlessly, debian, libranet and slackware wouldn't, so instead of complaining I ran redhat, even though I don't like redhat.

I have a computer in my office that won't run knoppix, but it runs Slackware-Live no problem, so guess what live OS I run on it.

Rule #1: use a tool that works
    Rule #2: use the tool needed for the job

~rock

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast