Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix

SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix

Even though Knoppix is cool and bitchin and everything, I have to say that Suse makes a trial version of their dist that runs off the cd, and its better than Knoppix. The first time you boot it, it sets up configuration files and allows you to select keyboard language, screen resolution and root accout. Its simply better than Knoppix. You can download it here:
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2

Senior Member registered user
    Ain't afraid of no flame, are you ;-)

SuSE was my favorite commercial distribution as well. Their live CD has been upgraded to their current 9.0 version. This release did not work as well as the previous 8.2 for me. Both are much slower to boot than knoppix.

PCLinuxOS looks very promising despite its boring name. It nicely demoes both kde and gnome.

Actually I am starting to think there is a slightly worrying proliferation of (debian) live CD's. It would make sense to combine the HW detection and cloop FS from knoppix with the modularity of morphix, and the goodies and installer from mepis, for example. Oh well, the boys seem to have more fun on their own! They've served us very well so far, obviously.

Re: SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix

Quote Originally Posted by BradC
    Even though Knoppix is cool and bitchin and everything, I have to say that Suse makes a trial version of their dist that runs off the cd, and its better than Knoppix. The first time you boot it, it sets up configuration files and allows you to select keyboard language, screen resolution and root accout. Its simply better than Knoppix. You can download it here:
    http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2
    How many machines have you booted this disc on?

For me, SuSE refuses to finish booting on three differnt machines while Knoppix has no trouble at all. That's Knoppix 3 SuSE 0

Let's also not forget the SuSE uses rpm's for package management- bleck! That's strike #2!

Which kernel version is SuSE using? Unless it was updated very recently I'm assuming it isn't 2.4.23 or newer. Strike #3! SuSE is outta there!

Where does it set up it's config files? On your hdd? What if you don't want anything written to hdd?

Sad to report that my K3.3 CD failed my acid test - an overclocked SS7 K6-III with a pair of scsi h/ds and a scsi CD drive. The boot screen showed up , but I could not find any cheat code to access the scsi CD drive. SuSE Live 8.2 had no such problems - it incorporates a startup search option when the CD doesn't appear in the expected location and immediately located my scsi CD. It shouldn't be too difficult to add this step to Knoppix? How does MandrakeMove shape up on weird systems?
    OG.

I don't think so

OK, I downloaded that Suse ISO and here's what I experienced:

1. My system cannot boot from CD so I created a boot diskette. I also had to create a module diskette, their boot procedure asks for this one after the boot diskette.

2. The startup procedure does a nice job of detecting hardware. It also asks you about preferences such as screen resolution etc; it advises you to tell it to save these preferences so that on subsequent boots you won't have to redo all of them. I did that.

3. Boots up pretty good. Only gives Konqueror web browser, I prefer Mozilla but OK.

4. Play with the system for a while, seems ok, now I want to reboot. MAJOR PROBLEM.

5. During reboot it tells you it is looking for saved parameters; finds them; NOW IT TELLS YOU IT CANNOT FIND THE CDROM.

6. Tells you to insert the CD. You tell it OK. Tells you it cannot find the CD. NOW YOU'RE STUCK IN A LOOP FOLKS. YOU CANNOT BOOT THIS THING AGAIN.

Junior Member registered user
    Sure you can. You re-install. :P

reinstall?

There's no reinstall! There was no install in the first place. This is a live CD. The procedure is "you insert the boot diskette, insert the cdrom, turn on the power, and the system takes over from there".

nope!

I just tried SUSE Live and it didn't accept my printer, my sound card and the GUI froze the buttons so that I couldn't click on anything!

Knoppix has yet to do this. Even if it trys really hard I don't think Knoppix will do this.

Knoppix needs a better logo.
    Knoppix needs a better font.

Hey baldyeti, that pclinux turned out to be pretty good. I cant get either Knoppix, live Suse or Regular Madrake 9 to boot on my comp due to some problem with my Samsung monitor, but it runs fine when I take my comp to a freinds house.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by BradC
    Hey baldyeti, that pclinux turned out to be pretty good. I cant get either Knoppix, live Suse or Regular Madrake 9 to boot on my comp due to some problem with my Samsung monitor, but it runs fine when I take my comp to a freinds house.
    If its an old monitor, have you tried pressing ctrl+alt+plus to change the screen size? it may be as easy as doing that or starting with cheat code 'knoppix screen=800x600'.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast