Thread: 2 questions: how do i copy files from windows using knoppix

2 questions: how do i copy files from windows using knoppix

how do i copy files from windows using knoppix wich is run off a cd?

i heard something about mounting it and crap but its all new to me and i really need some specific instructinos. i havent even ran knoppix yet i still need to burn it to a cd

question 2: can knoppix be used to copy files from an os like windows wich are proteced by the os? something like, the sam file on windows xp.

thank you.

Member registered user
    Hi

Your question is somewhat, a little vague. But, I'll try to answer something.

First, burn the CD. If you have Nero, you must be sure to select the option "Bur Image". This optios isn't in the wizrds menu. Is under file options.

If you have the cd, then, the problem is? Where are the source files and where you want to copy them?

Option 1: Copy files from carpet A to carpet B on the same hard disk: First, you need to hace acceso to your hard disk. In your desktop, must appears some icons like: hda1, hda2, hdb1, hdb2, etc. This represents your local hdd. hda1 must be "C:\" (hard disk "a" partition 1), y you have a partition on your primary hard disk, and this one appears like "D:\" in wondows, this must be "hda2) (hard disk "a" 2nd partition). If you have another hard disk, this must be "hdb". To access your disk on read mode only have to click on the icon (hda1, hda2, hdb1...). If you want to write on your disk, try right click on the icon, and select activate write mode (if this doesn't work, there some cheat codes to do this on the hard way) Then using the old drag & drop will be fine

Option 2: Copy files from you local disk to a network disk. First, you must configure the lan. Is very factible that knoppix be able to detect your network. Yoyu can publish you local hdd. In the knoppix option in the menu, are one option "Start Samba Server". Leave all options as default, and if you are lucky ( you will be able to see a machine in your network and you will be able to access you files using another machine on the Lan

is knoppix like a command line? or does it have a desktop and stuff?

Senior Member registered user
    It is graphical, but sometimes its easier to explain how to do things on the command line. For what you want to do it should be pretty simple to do graphically.

Each hard drive partition will have an icon as mentioned above. You can right click in order to make it writeable (but you can't write to NTFS). YOu can mount a remote shared directory using the smb mount command, though that's a bit tricky. You can also choose to share the local hard drive that kbnoppix can access to other comnputers on your network as mentioned above by turning on the samba server.

Now do you want to copy files from one partition to another on the same hard drive?

Do you want to copy files from one hard drive to another?

Or do you want to copy files from one computer to another computer on your LAN?

i want to copy something from the windows partition to a floppy.

Senior Member registered user
    Double-click the hard drive icons- probably /mnt/hda1 is your windows C:. That should open a box sort of like explorer and display the contents of that partition.

Insert a formatted floppy. Right-click the floppy icon on the desktop and activate write mode. Doubler-click the floppy icon to open it in a window.

Broswe the HDD contents and highlight the files you want to copy. RIght-click and choose copy. In the floppy window, press your center mouse button to paste the files, or right-click and choose paste.

stuck on cd

ok, i finaly got a cd big enouph...
    so i burn it as an image???
    the files i downloaded didnt look like something that i should burn onto a cd..

dir Demos
    dir KNOPPIX
    dir Talks
    autorun.bat
    autorun.inf
    cdrom.ico
    index.html

autorun runs index.html.
    do i burn it all to a cd?

also how do i burn something as an image with roxio?
    thanks

when you open roxio click on "make a data cd" then click on "file" then "record cd from image" then find the file, if you can't see it make sure you check the "file of type" you might have to change it from "*.cif" to "*.iso". after that all you have to do is click on "start recording."