Thread: Customising K Menu and KDE taskbar

Customising K Menu and KDE taskbar

I was wondering where the config file (like the taskbars kickerrc file) for the K Menus items, where I could see which subdirs/catagory each icon are placed in, and perhaps even delete it to make them disappear. Also, is there a way to start make the a way to make the KDE taskbar start up minimized?

Best regards,
    Arbiter

Also, is there a way to start make the a way to make the KDE taskbar start up minimized?
    Right click the kicker, and select configure panel. There should then be a hiding tab.

The reason is that I've booted from the Knoppix CD, copied the Knoppix from the cloop mounted devices data to the harddrive, and from there I want to customise the menues on that.
    I've tried to chroot into the copy on the harddrive, but when I started the KDE in Xnest, all the fonts were squares! Don't have the faintest idea why it got like that, so now I'm trying to configure the HD copy of it by editing its config files.
    I've found the kickerrc to edit the taskbar, and have removed the OpenOffice icon, but I would also like to make it start minimized.
    I haven't been able to find the file that defines the K Menus groups etc. yet though, and this is what I'm looking for. (Along with the command to minimize the taskbar from start ofcourse)
    The whole problem with this is that I want to configure a system, that I'm not logged into :-/

Please bear with me, as I only got my hands on Knoppix like 3 days ago, and it's actually my first time ever trying Linux.

Best regards,
    Arbiter

All the global config files are in /usr/share/config.

Senior Member registered user
    I guess you already made a /home/knoppix directory in your chrooted filesystem, copied the files in /etc/skel to /home/knoppix, chown'd and chmodded them, then started your xsession as the user knoppix?

From there you can use the kontrol center apps to configure how kde will work.

After you're finished, you'd then rm the files in /etc/skel, copy the modified files from /home/knoppix back to /etc/skel, chown and chmod them back to the way they were, cleanup, and then remaster.

I have had some success with the simple method of modifying the /etc/skel/ files but this does not produce perfect results. Menu entries for Mozilla, Gnumeric and others persist after removing the enties and the packages. Adding non-debian packages to the menu and remastering also does not work with such simple methods. Is there an easy way to do this or must I edit configuration files in /usr/share/applnk & config/ for each change as well?

Senior Member registered user
    I beleive editing the files under /usr is a must for things such as changes to the kmenu (though that may be over-run by a menu-updating script anyway).

/etc/skel works for many programs' configs, most kicker icons, and changes to KDE.... just not the menu and not mozilla icons in my experience.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter
    ... when I started the KDE in Xnest, all the fonts were squares!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have this problem if I use Xnest. I can change over to vc2 with CTRL-ALT-F2, chroot, mount proc and startx -- :1 and it works fine.

I tried this on 2 machines, from the CD and a HDD Knoppix install. I do notice that it gives me a font path error in the konsole windo that I started startx from Weird that it works in a second X instance but not with Xnest. Anyone have any ides?