Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suse Style framebuffer boot

Senior Member registered user
    Does the CONSOLE=/dev/tty2 trick also work in conjunction with bootsplash? (Reason: I don't want any text on the animated bootsplash, but in case something goes wrong, I want to be able to see the text by switching to another console).

Appending CONSOLE=/dev/tty2 at the LILO prompt (yes, I copied everything to HD) didn't do the trick... ideas?

Text foreground != black

Great find. I've been looking at what you did and tried my hand at it. One thing I cannot seem to get right is a different foreground color for the actual text. In your demo, the "base" text is black, making it unreadable. In mine I have the same. I've tried to set the "fgcolor" parameter but this just seems to change the color of the cursor, not the actual text displayed.

Any ideas? Or am I being completely clueless?

the linuxrc script also sets colors. Check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    the linuxrc script also sets colors. Check that out.
    *grin* Agreed. However setting the colours won't do the full trick. It must be possible to change the default display colour via the bootsplash config. For instance, in your demo disk you are dropped to a shell which results in black text at the ash prompt.

Now doing an echo with the correct escape codes will work for a fixed information display (eg. bootup sequence in either linuxrc or your bootup scripts) but won't if you are at the prompt. (For instance going into runlevel 3 instead of 5) I suppose one way (long/wrong way) around it would be to change the text background to something whiter (In your case it is currently black in my case it is dark blue) instead of changing the default text color to something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    However setting the colours won't do the full trick. It must be possible to change the default display colour via the bootsplash config. For instance, in your demo disk you are dropped to a shell which results in black text at the ash prompt.
    Ok, I think I have the solution. In one of the SuSE themes (also version 2 config file), the fgcolor is lister as "15" instead of a hex value eg. "FFFFFF". I'll try that out, ie. using the 'normal' screen color values instead of the hex value. (Won't give me exactly the result I was hoping for, but should be close enough.)

need help to install this splash

hi,
    I am trying to compile a kernel with splash screen. i patched the followings:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan...-vanilla.patch
    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan...ver-2.4.5.diff

------------------------------------------------------------------------

i also added "CONFIG_FBCON_SPLASHSCREEN=y" to the config file...

but i dont have any image show... actually i have error message when booting says:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

do i need to change rc too?

can someone please give a complete list of things i need to do to make a 2.4.18 kernel boots with a splash screen showing

i am very grateful for all your helps

by the way

do i have to have SuSE in order to get this splash screen work for me?

no, KnoppixKDE also uses it! I was successful in changing the KnoppixKDE splash image, but unfortely no animations or progress bar yet...

Yeah, and it looks sweet

was just wondering: has anyone gotten this to work with 2.4.20? forgot which one KnoppixKDE used, but i thought it was 2.4.19. Did try to get it working on 2.4.20, but somehow it didn't work right. (could be my own stupid fault though :P)

has anyone got animations to work? (as SusE does)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast