Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a router?

Senior Member registered user
    Thanx guys, but real life has gotten in the way of my home office LAN project.

Anyway, I'm going with ebay 'cause I have some mad money burning a hole in my paypal account....

Thanx,

BTW, I have to report success! I took your advice and got a d-link 4-port router/switch off ebay. I thank you, my cable modem thaks you and my LAN thanks you!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3070906931

Regards,
    AJG

Hardware ROUTERS BEWARE

Sorry this is a bit late...
    Bascially I've wrecked two routers ... well a wireless access point and a Belkin router/wifi. They are more fragile than the SEEM
    The first was a Netgear wireless access point....

To cut a long story short it really needed WinBlows to configure it but I don't have Winblows... so I kept trying .... I got it working at one point by installing winblows on an old disk then got the clients working....

It all looked fine!!! Anyway to cut a long story short I ended up having to try hardware reseting several times when trying to get it working with linux clients. Somewhere inbetween it refused to hardware reset.

The Belkin runs linux (or at least *nix)
    Its a 4 port switch and wifi router ....
    Initial setup (shortly after XMAS day at my parents went fine) I had planned to use it with the netgear to use the 4 switched ports in the living room.
    Anyway it all looked good and it was a bargain (£60 including a PCMCIA card in the sales)

Anyway at this point I configred it as just a bridge becuae I still had my old server... running routing to the internet/NAT and all the goodies mentioned on this thread!!!

Then I decided to replace the PC with the lower running cost hardware router....
    This involved the hardware reset...
    Basically the manual says press the reset button, the FAQ on the web sayas press it for 7 secs.

So inbetween Id kept pressing, holding... lights flashed etc.
    Then I got the config webpage up in the router and reconfigured.
    I kkept getitng the odd error /dev/mda1 not found ....

I messed up and needed to reset again....and I fugured this might solve the device not found...
    Oops
    It just won't come back up....
    Ive tried 50x and the lights don't even power up.
    I think its the firmware is damaged BUT I have no way to connect to it and flash it..

Amazingly it still works as a switch.... but all the routing functions are gone and the config page etc.

Now I wish Id stayed with the PC router....

edits...
    Oh retrospectively I think this is what happened to the netgear access point. Probably pulled the power while it was writing to the flash memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffin444
    If you .. (losts of cool stuff said).. their products.

Cheers,
    Duffin
    You did a great job giving a great answer.

I only have one question. What is the problem with having a $100 wireless router plus a web server? I want to set up a web server to a D-link wireless router, that just serves webpages. I want the router to just be a router, so that I can hook up a few computers (1 wired webserver upstairs, 1 wireless downstairs, 1 wired workstation upstairs).

I need the wireless because it will cost me a ton of money for the wire to get it that far, and since I'll have it, why not use it?

Is there a reason why I shouldn't use a stand alone router?

Or better yet is there a benefit to using the linux box to be the router?

Member registered user
    In your case it might be best for you to just get the wireless router. This way you can easily setup your wireless networking and at some later time, if you decide to, you can add another machine (or just leave your main machine on all the time) to be a (web)server.

Good luck,
    Duffin

So it is possible? Cause I just went out and bought one!!!
    I fugured it was. I bought the D-Link DI-624 and set it up in seconds! It works great for internet access!

I haven't tested it yet with Knoppix, but I will later (3:33am here) or haven't tested it for my web-host box. I just wanted to hook it up to see if it would work.

Anyone have any tips on how to find a free Dynamic DNS service, or is that part of the fun of learning how to set up the linux server?

What I want to do is have a web server at home because I am paying $30+ a month to have my site hosted. That is why I bought the router in the first place. Having the two computers hook up to the internet was just a bonus. I want to have two sites actually one for fun and one for business. Can I do that with only one webserver?

Frig! I know that I don't know squat about this crap and there isn't a quick how to manual anywhere. I know enough to get me interested, but not enough to go poking with stuff.

Again, thank-you anyone and everyone that has some input.

worry NOT

Well done setitng it all up!!!

I use dynamicdns.org
    I have no complaints (and its FREE) but equally friends use no-ip.com and have no complaints....

What you need to do is set your www server in the DMZ part of the router.
    Otherwise when you set up the dyndns service it will take people to the config page of your router!

Your router might actually have a dnyamicdns setup service, my dead Belkin did!!!
    If not you just need to download a client,
    Im using ddnsclient (linked from the dynamicdns.org pages)
    however it was just the foirst one I tried!!!
    It works .... what else can I say!!!

You can install this on the webserver since its public IP will be the same as the router.

As I said you need the router to send requests to port 80 to the webserver....
    quite how depends on the router....
    Either look for DMZ or firewalling options....

Thanks for your help, you're swell!

Administrator Site Admin-

Re: worry NOT

Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    I use dynamicdns.org
    I have no complaints (and its FREE) but equally friends use no-ip.com and have no complaints....
    Your router might actually have a dnyamicdns setup service, my dead Belkin did!!!
    Since you already use one of these servces I'm hoping you can give me a little information on them. I'm not using a Belkin router (mine is crap and is gathering dust), my SMC router sems to only support the paid tzo.com service. My question is, if I use a client behind a NAT router, how does it know when the IP address changes (the IP address of the box it is on will still be a static 192.168.x.x address) so that it knows to update the server (I'm assuming it doesn't have to determine what the new IP address is, since that will end up being in the snt packet after it passes through the NAT router.). Or does it just simply send a packet every x minutes, and let the server decide if the IP address has changed? I would download and try to learn this from the dynamicdns.org site, but I haven't been able to get a response from it all day (do you know of any problems with it?).

Re: worry NOT

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    I use dynamicdns.org
    Since you already use one of these servces I'm hoping you can give me a little information on them. I'm not using a Belkin router (mine is crap and is gathering dust), my SMC router sems to only support the paid tzo.com service. My question is, if I use a client behind a NAT router, how does it know when the IP address changes (the IP address of the box it is on will still be a static 192.168.x.x address) so that it knows to update the server (I'm assuming it doesn't have to determine what the new IP address is, since that will end up being in the snt packet after it passes through the NAT router.). Or does it just simply send a packet every x minutes, and let the server decide if the IP address has changed? I would download and try to learn this from the dynamicdns.org site, but I haven't been able to get a response from it all day (do you know of any problems with it?).
    http://www.dyndns.org/ I believe is the site you are looking for and AFAIK you run a client on your machine that goes out and updates the dyndns.org record with your new IP when it changes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast