Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Intstlling Packages?

Member registered user
    A. Jorse Garcia

The step by step instructions worked great for me.
    Finding a game and installing it that way was great!

Much easier then the way I was doing it.

You have been very helpful, thanks!

Senior Member registered user
    You're welcome, Spydie, I'm glad I could be of help.

What I'm wondering, however, is how different is Marcel's remaster of KNOPPIX?

PS: I've been using some form of UNIX or other since 1975 to learn and teach different programming languages (BASIC, Fortran, PL1, Pascal, C, C++, Java, etc).

I've been using Linux for about 10 years now. KNOPPIX has been my one and only OS for over a year now. So if you're new to all this, welcome! Let me encourage you to stick with it, I can say from presonal experience that the ride's well worth it!

BTW, I'd say that Linux is a better UNIX than UNIX. Further, I'd say that KNOPPIX is the best Linux distro I've ever used!

Enjoy!

Junior Member registered user
    Great info, A.J.G. Some questions for you (or whoever wants to answer/comment):

Re: step 1, to run the root shell: Why would I want to run that ugly thing? Green fonts, and no apparent method to scroll the window back. If I was packaging the distro, I'd yank that menu option and instead just learn to type su then the root password in the regular shell window which is more pleasing to the eye and more controllable in my opinion. (Speaking of yanking menu options, I'd yank quite a few menu options from Knoppix actually to help unclutter things a bit)

Re: steps 2 thru 4: Nevermind the fact that I live less than 15 miles from Redmond, I personally like doing things in "windows" and would much rather use Kpackage to do all this than to visit the command prompt. My take, open for debate of course, is to get Linux newbies comfortable first with the GUI-based tools before getting too involved with shells, where it can be frustrating trying to learn and type the correct commands.

Member registered user
    I like using su in the reg. shell
    Not only is it easier on the eye's but I can highlight the text, right click, then use the copy and paste.
    I can not seem to copy and paste in the root shell.

I also like KPackage.

The root shell works in all KNOPPIX installs whether it be the CD or knoppix-installer as debian or knoppix-installer as knopix. I can't get su to work in knoppix-installer as debian so I use the root shell as I know it always works.

When I said to drop windows, I meant Mr. Gates' windows in particular, not GUIs in general. If you find a GUI solution that works for you in Linux, more power to ya!

BTW, I seem to remember a script page by Kano that allowed installing apps temporarily while running the CD. Anyone know the address to kano's website and how these scripts work?

Regards,

Junior Member registered user
    Strange, I have Knoppix (3.3) installed to my hd as well and I can su in the KDE shell just fine, without having to resort to "that green thing".

Kano's scripts are Here AJG. I've never used any of the live-install scripts...but I've used a few of the scripts on my hd-install and they've worked without any trouble. You can ask kano questions at the kanotix forum if you have a specific question about them.

I don't understand what you all are referring to in terms of root shell and such. I'm confused as can be in fact I just use the clamshell icon'd KDE shell most of the time, using sudo if i need root priviliges...or su if I need to do stuff as root. I also like the application launcher applet you can put onto KDE's panel.

Thanx, Champ! BTW, the root shell is under the "K" menu, then "KNOPPIX" and then "ROOT SHELL."

Enjoy,
    AJG

>>A.J.G: I can't get su to work in knoppix-installer as debian so I use the root shell as I know it always works.

Have you edited /etc/sudoers to include your username as a sudoer? I have Knoppix > HD 'Debian install' & use su in the regular shell all the time but the HD install will not automatically set up users other thaan 'Knoppix' as sudoer.

>>spydie:When you say I should get the package from debian do you mean download it at debian.com or what?

>> How do I add it to the menus myself?
    >> Do I add it to the menu well in KPackage?

Some of this has already been answered so is a bit of a repeat. Debian packages are added using:
    1.dpkg (text mode package handler)-works great for some uses but you have to know the name of the pkg you want to add
    2.deselect (has a list of packages but still pretty base-level)
    3.apt-get text mode package handler which can access any available packages in it's 'sources.list'
    4.Kpackage (KDE graphic mode package handler) good & convenient to use (actually a gui front end for apt-get)
    5.Synaptic- another gui front end for apt-get. IMHO Kpackage is just as good but sometimes synaptic is a little easier to find things as it uses different sorting
    Apt-get actually uses dpkg to do the work of installing the pkg. Kpackage & Synaptic also use dpkg through apt-get

So, for a nOOb (which I still am), first thing to do is (as root) 'apt-get update' which updates your 'sources.list' so you now have a complete list of available packages. Then select & install the package you want using Kpackage or more directly using 'apt-get install'. Knoppix doesn't come with Synaptic so for a practise run try 'apt-get install synaptic'. Most of the time things go OK but sometimes there are dpendency problems or conflicts. Currently I still haven't managed to install Kpat because of dpendency conflicts.Kpat is KDE's solitaire game...actually a much more polished version of the crappy 'ace-of-penguins'game.

To add menu items:
    1.use Settings>Kappfinder. KDE will automatically scan for & add new executables
    2.use Settings>Menu Editor to add your own
    3.create your own desktop links. Right click on bare desktop, the 'add application'.

snOwflake: Stay with it. I could have written your exact same post a few months ago (I fact I did...go to Linux Format forums & do a search for posts by CrashedAgain.)

Snowflake

What's happening ???
    Are you still here???

Everyone seems ready to help you...
    From a HDD install changing to a Danish keyboard is just a couple of clicks away.
    As a matter of some irony I actually have a Danish keyboard on my Knoppix PC. I'm english, living in France and bought the keyboard when I lived in Norway becuase keyboards (and just about everything) is much cheaper in Denmark and becuase if the Norwegians can't even decide on a single keyboard Im damned if Im buying one

The US keyboard is available already installed and at least this doesn't have any different letters, just the / is in a different place etc.

To get the Danish just right click the keyboard icon and open it up and then choose Danish as the primary layout... its really that simple.

If you create a new user then copy the working and configured and customised directory from the working user to the new user and they will have all the setitngs too.

Its no easier or harder than Windows, you don't even need to reach for the CD's ... Because of the nature of knoppix it installs a preworking copy and you don't go through the setup routine you would with a traditional linux install where you would set your regional stuff at install.

However changing iot is easy once you know where to look.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast