I've tried for two months now to get GNU Linux/Knoppix working. In the beginning I was optimistic and thought "well, Linux has a steep learning curve, so be patient".
The first days was easy enough, I just browsed around in Linux and eventually felt comfortable as a plain user.
The rest of the time was excruciating. Simple things like getting my Danish keyboard working everywhere was a pain. Installing packages spewed out errors that offered me absolutely no help.
I'm just a simple user. I've read a lot of articles praising Linux. I expected it to be hard at first, but the level of complexity of Linux is just ridiculous.
This is not a M$ pro speech. I'd like to see Linux win over Windows, but if that can is to be expected then users should have a system that works 100% at start. If it doesn't then it should be easy to diagnose and fix the problem.
I expect two things of this post. Either it will be ignored as a stupid user post, or I'll get loads of post with "you should try this" or "read this". Hey, I don't want to read thousands of pages, I just want it to work and be easy!
I'm beginning to doubt installing Linux on my private computers