Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knx-hdinstall Failure

knx-hdinstall Failure

Hi there,

I'm getting a strange error when trying to install Knoppix 3.3 on AMD K6 System with 10GB HDD.

When I run knx-hdinstall I get the welcome screen (...this software is beta ... blablabla) and then in next window I get

/dev/ Can't make subwindow [....]

error. Does anybody know how to do about that? It seems as if install can't access my partitions even though they are properly set up, mounted and recognized in /proc/partitions. Before the window comes up I get a strange output on console which says something about /dev/sda and outputs some failures about that device. This device is also shown in /etc/partitions allthough I am not sure which device this should be (I only have on HDD -> hda and 2 cdroms).

Anybody got an idea?

Senior Member registered user

Re: knx-hdinstall Failure

Quote Originally Posted by schoeppchen
    Hi there,

I'm getting a strange error when trying to install Knoppix 3.3 on AMD K6 System with 10GB HDD.

When I run knx-hdinstall I get the welcome screen (...this software is beta ... blablabla) and then in next window I get

/dev/ Can't make subwindow [....]

error. Does anybody know how to do about that? It seems as if install can't access my partitions even though they are properly set up, mounted and recognized in /proc/partitions.
    You don't want the partitions mounted when you try to install.

Before the window comes up I get a strange output on console which says something about /dev/sda and outputs some failures about that device. This device is also shown in /etc/partitions allthough I am not sure which device this should be (I only have on HDD -> hda and 2 cdroms).
    /dev/sda is a reference to a SCSI devivce. Likely your cdrom drive as they are accessed throught scsi emulation. Are you trying to install to a cdrom?

Ok, now I've tested it a little bit. I always get the following error after welcome-screen, no matter what I do:

-x-x-x-
    You have /dev/
    Can't make sub-window at (33,12),
    size (1,54)
    -x-x-x-

My Partitions are:

primary 7,8GB ext3
    extended
    logical 0,2GB swap

I tried the following:

- call knx-hdinstall with mounted partitions
    - call knx-hdinstall with unmounted partitions

I even deleted all partitions and tried to run knx-hdinstall, but I always get the same error.

What's wrong? Perhaps my harddisk is too old for Knoppix, but that would surprise me. Running 'badblocks' gives me no bad sectors....

Never seen that error before- try knoppix-installer instead.

knoppix-installer lets me partition the disk - but I can only select "Partition disk" and "Quit" but nothing else. So after partitioning disk I cannot do anything but Quit. Should there be another selection?

Hi folks,

I have exactly the same Problem:
    When I try to install Knoppix 3.3 version of 19.11.2003 using knx-hdinstall i get a similar error saying
    "You have /dev/
    Can't make sub-window at ..."
    I' trying this on a Shuttle barebone with an on-board ProSavage DDR graphic chip, a 1300Mhz Duron and a 180GB HD with /dev/hda9 as last Partition of 2.6GB
    It doesn't matter if the partitions are mountet or not, I even tried changing the xmodule; vesa instead of savage.

It may be an issue with the graphics chip, which is currently not 100% supported.

The confusing thing is, on all other Machines I ever tried knx-hdinstall it works...

Ice

P.S. My first post at this site!

knoppix-installer should indeed give you manyu options. Maybe try booting knoppix 2 and then run the installer from there.

I always start up using 'knoppix 2', no need for X on a server

I think the whole problem has something to do with a failure in recognizing the partitions. I will do some analysis later and maybe I find out why all this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by schoeppchen
    knoppix-installer lets me partition the disk - but I can only select "Partition disk" and "Quit" but nothing else. So after partitioning disk I cannot do anything but Quit. Should there be another selection?
    Have you formated the partitions? If not try that and then run the installer.

Yes, they are formated.

I found the bug or whatever this is. In the scripts everytime a choice has to be made (e.g. hdddevice, swap device, root partition) a radio-list is generated. The result of the choice (what the users selects) is outputed via pipe to a file in /tmp. This list cannot be generated on my system and so the output of the list is not the result of the user select but the error message "can't make sub-window[...]". This "result" is written into that file and when this file is beeing processed (in the next step the read in the users choice), this error-message is considered to be the input of the user. So e.g. the "selected" hdd is

/dev/can't make subwindow[...]

and this device doesn't exist

The question now is, why this radio-list cannot be generated and the errors is thrown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast