Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated Overclockix iso's

Senior Member registered user

Updated Overclockix iso's

The remaster Overclockix has gone through a small update. At its core, its still a Knoppix 3.2-based remaster, but the IM clients all work now, and it still features openoffice 1.1, firebird, opera, eterm, aterm, ncftp, ogle, xcdroast, folding@home, seti@home, prime95, memtest, cpuburn, lucifer, karamba, wm32codecs and mplayer; also java, flash, and mplayer plugins for the browsers.

New in this release are the addition of amsn, bittorrent, gFTP, and ripperX. As always, overclockix's custom desktops glow with eye candy, and the kmenu still shows a few leftover programs that have been removed. Konqueror complains now and then but seems functionally sound.

In addition to Nforce2 and kt400 chipset drivers, I have also added the canterwood 3c2000 NIC driver. Someone has just requested a kt600 NIC driver and that should be included by the end of the week.

Now the folding@home init scripts will launch a second folding instance if 2 CPU's are deteced. A vncserver is set to run at startup. And some minor adjustments to the hdd-install scripts and knoppix-autoconfig scripts have been made.

This is a relatively minor update. I hope to remaster the Gentoo-based Jollix customization and the Knoppix 3.3-based customization, ClusterKnoppix. For both I would be adding some desktop/multimedia-type apps, a little bit of eye-candy, some stress testers and distributed computing clients, and any other utilities I find to be vital.

http://overclockix.octeams.com

Nice Work!

I'be been using the older version for a little while and am looking forward to this new version. I have one question about the multiple processor detection. Will this allow my P4 with HT to run two instances of F@H?

I'm downloading it right now and can't wait!

I don't think it will start two instances for HT P4's. It would if it had the 2.6 kernel, but it doesn't.

And if yah don't wanna fold, just run the command foldoff.

But.....

Because of the way it is scripted, it would be simple to run a second instance. However I don't think you'll get the usual benefit of HT.

For those curious about folding@home.... Link

How to run a second folding client on a single CPU system:

mkdir /home/knoppix/fold2
    cd /home/knoppix/fold2
    cp /usr/local/bin/FAH4Console.exe .
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix/fold2
    ./FAH4Console.exe -config -advmethods (make sure to choose machine ID #2)

foldoff (this will kill your current folding instance as well)
    foldon (this will start both instances providing there is a second folding directory called /home/knoppix/fold2)

PS I might just make a second script that will create this directory for you and prep it for folding.

For a hdd install or persistent home with single CPU systems, once you've setup the second folding directory, it will use both clients automatically at boot time.

Just to clarify, the Eidolon iso lags behind on all the new things in the Technomancer iso, at least for now.

Just added the broadcom bcm5700 NIC driver and the via 6105c rhinefet.o network card drivers. I had to remove mozilla to make space on the cd. I thought I could fit mozilla firebird and thunderbird, but there is not enough space for thunderbird...

The technomancer version now can detect a second CPu and launch a second instance of folding automatically, but for true SMP machine- at least until we get a kernel for knoppix that can handle HT.

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    Just to clarify, the Eidolon iso lags behind on all the new things in the Technomancer iso, at least for now.
    Sorry, but what exactly is the difference between these two and why are they seperate?

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    Just added the broadcom bcm5700 NIC driver...
    Cool. This is for gigabyte ethernet right?

Adam

The simplest way to put it is that Eidolon is a stable release, while Technomancer is a more bleeding-edge release. I do more work on technomancer these days. And I'll be shifting to new iso's very soon, based on jollix (gentoo), and clusterknoppix with a similar goals- desktop tweaking, stress-testing, distributed computing, and multimedia/desktop use.

Both are based on knoppix 3.2 06-06. Both feature addition the of opera, ncftp, folding@home. seti@home, prime-net, memtest, cpuburn, lucifer, karamba, eterm, aterm, nforce2 and broadcom 4400 NIC drivers, plus most of the same advanced network security tools found in Knoppix STD, and some tweaking to the look of the desktop. Both iso's were recently updated to fix the issue with msn and yahoo IM protocol changes. The boot screen has been edited, and the default cheatcodes have been edited. Both iso's will run a vncserver automatically at boot-time as I like to run these on boxes without peripherals.

Technomancer however has been apt-get upgraded to testing distribution (was done at the end of august '03- so most of its packages are as new or newer than knoppix 3.3's) and has some software and drivers that Eidolon doesn't (these new NIC drivers for kt400, kt600-canterwood, broadcom 5700), firebird, newer openoffice 1.1, mplayer and wm32 codecs, gftp, bittorrent, and mldonkey. However, it has some mild problems with the kmenu while Eidolon's kmenu works fine. Technomancer also has a further customization to the look of the icewm and fluxbox desktops than the Eidolon release. And as mentioned above the scripts that control the distributed computing client folding@home have been improved in Technomancer, though I plan to update Eidolon with the new drivers and scripts soon. Technomancer has the knoppix-installer and knx-hdinstall scripts, while Eidolon only has knx-hdinstall. Technomancer's installer scripts have both been edited slightly to install to a smaller drive (1.93GB min root partition size instead of 2.2GB minimum root partition size), because I have several 2GB drives that are too small for the standard installer scripts..

This is by no means a full list of the specifics of these iso's but it is a pretty good summary. Some screenshots below.... Technomacner features all the same background images as Eidolon plus some extras. Neither of these screenshots show the default background image in case you're wondering.

Here's a pic of KDE in Eidolon-

And here's a pic of Technomancer's KDE-

Technomancer's Fluxbox-

3c2000 is a gigabit card found on some kt600 and some canterwood motherboards. It has not been tested as I don't have the appropriate hardware. The newest Technomancer iso is uploading now and should be available early on 1-10-04.

Newest technomancer with 3c2000 (found on canterwood and kt600 chipsets) and via rhinetfet.o (found on km400 chipsets and some others) is now available for download.

Hello

D/L and burned new Technomancer. Cool

On my ASUS VM266 NVIIDIA onboard LAN , everything seems to work ethernet wise, no surprise as I used an earlier version as a basis for HD install for the drivers. Sound works fine.

On my ASUS P4P8X ,the onboard 3Com 3C940 Gigabit Lan was not detected at boot. I insmod 3c2000.o and pump eth0 and it worked. Also, had to use nousb cheat code or the bootup hangs. Had this problem with OC on other PC's as well.

I'll play with this some more and post (is this the right forum?). If I can test anything out on these MOBOs for you let me know.

Great work!

Awesome! I'll be testing out a via chipset NIC from an ECS K7VTA-3 sometime this week. I beleive that the dirver is used on a lot fo cheap via chipsets- its the 6105C LAN.

A few bugs popped up so I worked on fixing them yesterday and am uploading again. Should be done 8 hours from the time of this post. ISO is about 694mb, so make sure of the size before burning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast