Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cdrom

cdrom

feel real stupid posting this Q but here it goes. just installed knoppix, installation went well, however trying to use kscd to play some music while working through linux. kscd cannot detect the cdrom and try as i have i can't get it to mount. the /dev/cdrom has the right perms. and /etc/fstab has the cdrom listed, must be missing something simple. thanks for ur help.

Senior Member registered user
    Well you cannot mount an audio disc as it has no fuilesystem on it, nor is it necessary. You may have /dev/cdrom and/or /cdrom in fstab but is that the correct device?

cdrecord -scanbus

or

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

On my system /dev/cdrom is a symlink to /dev/scd0

ls -al /dev/cdrom

I don't use Kscd but perhaps try XMMS: Open>File and enter /dev/cdrom

cdrom

thxs for ur quick reply. checked the link it is there to the cdrom and scd0, also tried xmms with the same result. the dvd mounted and then couln't umount had to restart to get it out.
    something is screwy here and i can't figure it out, but my multimedia is inoprable.

cdrom

rickenacherus, additionally the cat /proc cmd points to the right h/ware cdrom(toshiba).
    the ls -al cmd links the /dev/cdrom to /dev/scd0.

Member registered user
    You may want to open your pc to see if there's an audio cable to connect the cdrom to the sound card. IIRC, Windows uses the IDE-bus istead to play audio cd's! I have a Toshiba DVD-rom too and although XMMS (or any other linux cd player) claimed to play the CD I couldn't hear any sound from it at all, until I invested 50 cents in this tiny little cable

-Marek

cdrom

this post is meant for emdee. thxs for ur reply. I've tried ricken.... suggestion( pls see my posts)
    the cat and ls -al cmds yielded good info. i have configured the sound and it works my problem remains mount of the cd rom. i've made some changes in the /etc/fstab file to no avail and now i wonder if that's even setup properly, do u have a template of it? or urs that works, the only changes i made were to the cdrom lines. whenever i mount /mnt/cdrom i get the message "no medium found". i am still w/o access to the cd rom. thxs for any suggestions, but since i conf. the sound card and it works i don't think that's the problem. i am using a kds laptop, piii.

Member registered user
    The best tool for creating fstab templates is probably the knoppix live-cd itself! Just boot the cd and copy the fstab file over to your linux partition.

Senior Member registered user

Re: cdrom

Quote Originally Posted by ivansv1
    this post is meant for emdee. thxs for ur reply. I've tried ricken.... suggestion( pls see my posts)
    the cat and ls -al cmds yielded good info. i have configured the sound and it works my problem remains mount of the cd rom. i've made some changes in the /etc/fstab file to no avail and now i wonder if that's even setup properly, do u have a template of it? or urs that works, the only changes i made were to the cdrom lines. whenever i mount /mnt/cdrom i get the message "no medium found". i am still w/o access to the cd rom. thxs for any suggestions, but since i conf. the sound card and it works i don't think that's the problem. i am using a kds laptop, piii.
    You should be using mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom as root to mount the device and should have changed the mount point in the /etc/fstab to this. The /mnt/cdrom points to the wrong device (/mnt/auto/cdrom) which does not exist.

Junior Member registered user

cdrom

thxs toemdee and stephen. i'll try these.

Junior Member registered user

cdrom

success at last, thxs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast