Thread: knx-hdinstall

Junior Member registered user

knx-hdinstall

installed debian using knoppix v3.3 cd to the hd. now if login as root i get a kde d/top, everything works fine, but if log in as regular user-with info entered when installing from the cd- i get a knoppix d/top. to some extent i prefer the knoppix desktop 'cause i have the option o fbeing user and root, on the kde side i'm always root which is not good.
    problem is when d/load an app on knoppix it goes to /tmp but when i go to /tmp there is nothing there, i've searched /home/tmp and /tmp absolutely nothing i d/loaded found.
    both d/tops work fine 'cept for these quirks. what to do?
    i prefer the kde, fully functional, but when i setup a regular user and log in i get knoppix, not kde.
    if i use knoppix the d/load of apps has a quirk, can't find them. is there a way i can do away with the knoppix d/top altogether and keep kde, then when i do a adduser i could get the regular user and root functionality. any ideas guys. i will not install deb from the 7 cds, that's a lengthy pain in the u know where, installing from knoppix cd is easy and fast.

Senior Member registered user
    I've yet to try the knx-hdinstall on 3.3, but some ideas come to mind:

Don't you have the option on a drop down menu at login of which desktop to use? If you can, select KDE and all maybe OK.

You could try using the other installer. (See the docs for instructions.)

On some systems there's an a Kde add user somewhere off the root Kde menu: If it's there, my guess is that it'll create a user whose default desktop is Kde.

ivansv,

Are you sure you are actually loading something other than KDE in "other accounts other than root"?

I have Knoppix 3.3, and I installed it the same way, through the use of knx-hdinstall.

My root account comes up with this "slick" looking background with KDE on it, and my "other" accounts come up with the usual "knoppix" background.

I think its only the "background" that is changing [?]

I hope I am right on this one, I've been assuming that KDE is always running, just the backgrounds are different, and I kinda like it, it makes it easier to "visually" see which account I am in, root or "other" accounts.

Hmmmmmm, anyone got any ideas???
    Cuddles

fingers, when i'm on kde(root acc't) if i adduser it logs me into the knoppix d/top, it seems that i have 2 d/tops, 1 works for root(kde) and 1 for regular user and root(knoppix). i do all the serious stuff as root on kde if i try to download a package while on knoppix i can't find though i look all over the place.
    cuddles, yes it is kind of neat, having two d/tops. the knoppix seems to be only good to browse the net with . look at my response to fingers here. if urs behaves differently, please let me know. i know how they work, i'm just curious about the setup.

ivansv,

Hmmmm, never tried it. Come to think of it, everytime I've ever done a apt-get, or a wget, I have always been in my Root login

I am going to have to force myself to see what happens if I did this under my "other" accounts now....

I'll try something like apt-get some screen savers, I really need to get some screen savers, and post back what I come up with - I am going to guess, my setup is EXACTLY like yours is, and, I won't be able to find my packages as well - unless I do them under the Root account, but, who knows...

Cuddles
    [ps] ivansv, when you say d/l a package - what method are you using? apt-get, wget, this might help me duplicate what you are doing, and BTW, know of any good screen savers? [giggle]

I don't really inderstand what you mean by 'running KDE desktop' and 'running Knoppix desktop'. You are ALWAYS running KDE (unless you have spec'd to start up into on of the other windows managers available, like xFCE or something). With KDE, as with WinNT & Win2000 & other networking OS's, each user has his(her) own desktop setup. The Knoppix screen is just a desktop background for the default user (even if Knoppix is not the username chosen). The 'KDE blue' screen which is the default for user 'root'.
    You can change these. Right click on the desktop & select 'configure desktop'. Or goto 'Settings->Control Centre'. Work through the setups to your liking.
    Seldom should you have to log on as root. For security, especially if on line, you should usually be 'user'. You can become root when needed by opening a terminal ('Konsole') and either doing 'su''enter password' to become root in this terminal or by entering 'sudo whatever-command-you-want' to run that command only as root. You may have to edit the file /etc/sudoers to give your username permission to sudo first though.
    I also have two icons on the desktop, one for 'Root Home' and one for 'Root Kate' which will start either Konqueror (as a file browser) as root or the text editor Kate as root. Easiest way to create these is to drag'n'drop copy from the startup menu to the desktop then edit the desktop item properties to 'run as a different user' ("root"). If you are unable to edit the desktop item as user, open the desktop item in a text editor (use Kate or Kedit) (as user) then save as a new name. You will be able to edit the new desktop item.
    ivansv: When you d/load an app (or anything else), you should be able to specify where it is being downloaded to. Unless you mean 'installing' using apt-get which is much more than just downloading...the app actually gets 'installed' with the libs going into /libs, the executable usually into /usr/bin etc. It may initially download into /tmp but after the install the tmp files are usually cleared.
    Cuddles, you will have to be root to apt-get. But you don't have to be 'logged in' as root to be root (see above).
    Sometimes it may be difficult to find which executeable to run for a new installation, there are two hints. If you know the name of the executable, 1. use 'find' to locate it, then manually add it to the start menu or 2. use Kappfinder to get KDE to try to find any new apps for you. Often of course there is some kind of 'read me ' file to get started.

I just installed the 92203 build using knx-hdinstall and its rather quirky, had a hell of a time trying to update any thing without it breaking. Even when I'd roll my own update it'd screw up.

knx-hdinstall

crashedagain: even when i d/load an app prior to installing i can't find the pkg, even though i designate the d/load location. i've searched everywhere. i know apt-get is different. i have to handle d/loads and installs from the kde d/top, even though i'm always root there. weird.