Thread: Detecting motherboard type and name from within Knoppix?

Junior Member registered user

Detecting motherboard type and name from within Knoppix?

Is it possible to somehow detect what kind of motherboard i have from within Knoppix?

It's a Siemens Scenic Pro D system with a Celeron 333Mhz and integrated ATI graphics.

All i've been able to find out by reading stuff in /proc/ is that it's got an LX/EX chipset.

I don't remember what i says on the POST screen, and i'm unable to reboot the system at the moment. And i can't open it up for now to read what is printed on the mb either.

Senior Member registered user
    lspci will tell you the hardware.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by stonent
    lspci will tell you the hardware.
    Add -v for more detail, or -vv for still more

Junior Member registered user
    Thanks guys, I tried lspci, it gave a lot of information but nothing to help me identify the manufacturer of model. )=

I guess I'll just have to wait until i can open the box or reboot and see what the POST screen says.

Member registered user

Re: Detecting motherboard type and name from within Knoppix?

Quote Originally Posted by tommydl
    Is it possible to somehow detect what kind of motherboard i have from within Knoppix?

It's a Siemens Scenic Pro D system with a Celeron 333Mhz and integrated ATI graphics.
    <snipped>
    It's almost guaranteed that Knoppix wouldn't be able to determine the brand or model of the mainboard. It can probe the chips & add-on's, but the mainboard is the framework of copper current pathways & board everything else gets attached to; and a series of design choices, re. which chips & components to include in the finished loaded board; i.e., no data storage of its own, per se; therefore, no data for Knoppix to find, read, and report to you. What I mean by that, is that Knoppix can read data from the chips & relay that to you, but the board itself has no such data to be read. Determining the board from the particular combination of chips data sets would require a massive database - way beyond the size that could be included in a one-CD distro; very difficult to create, and even harder to keep up to date. The manufacturer might be able to provide mainboard make & model info via a product specs page, but more likely, the product specs page will just say what chips (etc.) have been used in the product. There are only two really effective tactics I can think of: One, is to contact Siemens support techs, and ask them. The other, it to open the computer and read the printed info off the board itself. Then, do a Google search using what you read. That might result in enough info to peg the manufacturer and model of the mainboard.

Hope this was helpful.

Scruffy

I did a little research, and here's a link for a Siemens contact page:
    http://usa.siemens.com/index.jsp?sdc...d=1&sdc_pnid=&

Oh - I should mention that the first time I visited Siemens, I was using Netscape and it locked up my browser to the point where I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the process. Using IE survived their .jsp page, and let me proceed to do other stuff.