Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Use Knoppix for Windows anti-virus?

Junior Member registered user
    Thanks,
    The doc's are really interesting, but will take some time before I figure everything out
    It isn't a real problem that F-prot can't scan mbr's, cause if the mbr is infected you will notice it trough coruption of files.
    The problem is that if you try to fix the mbr of a win partition and it gets overwritten then windows doesn't boot up anymore.
    You can simply fix that by using the original dos fdisk prog. like "fdisk /mbr" , but this can only be done in a dos environment and not under linux...

Member registered user
    unless of course a program like VMware gets integrated into knoppix and allows you to run another OS under Linux just a thought....

toast

openantivirus

Has anyone tried the online scanners

openantivirus.org

http://www.openantivirus.org/virushammer.php

Member registered user
    looks ok but it seems that it would require an active and functional internet connection. it also seems that it would require a functional computer...

to be noticed... security settings within windows XP and 2000 make it so that your browser still has limited functionality... ESPECIALLY for java programs... most of the time being run in their own "sandbox", keeping them from accessing the OS in the way that knoppix can...

online scanners are a novel idea, the issue is that it doesnt offer anything in advantage compared to active scanners installed on the computer or running from a knoppix cd-rom.

thanks for your view,

toast

Senior Member registered user
    people,people

Such a cd already exists and has been distributed by CT magazine holland.
    If your interested in the ISO send me a mail : mailme@freeworld.be
    It is not as performant as knoppix but it does what it should do : clean viruses.

It can mount NTFS,FAT and FAT32 partitions. (you'll have to do it manually )
    Install network card drivers automatically at boot.
    It has f-prot onboard I believe (if my memory is ok )
    It can get virupdates from the net by menu selection. (if you got a router with dhcp before in your lan)

greetzzz,

KtheKing

Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    people,people

Such a cd already exists and has been distributed by CT magazine holland.
    If your interested in the ISO send me a mail : mailme@freeworld.be
    It is not as performant as knoppix but it does what it should do : clean viruses.

It can mount NTFS,FAT and FAT32 partitions. (you'll have to do it manually )
    Install network card drivers automatically at boot.
    It has f-prot onboard I believe (if my memory is ok )
    It can get virupdates from the net by menu selection. (if you got a router with dhcp before in your lan)

greetzzz,

KtheKing
    Is there no place on the internet to get more info on this or to download the iso?

Windows antivirus

You might want to check this out
    http://trinityhome.org/trk/

roadie

Member registered user
    but that cd doesnt allow me to play minesweeper while im scanning for viri, or to edit a document under OOo, or run a memory check on my computer...

linux is wonderful

it is truely multitasking
    i can simultaneously

1.) scan for viri
    2.) check S.M.A.R.T. status of all of my hard drives
    3.) check my e-mail
    4.) browse the web
    5.) play solitare or some other game
    6.) compile a new program
    7.) burn a cd of something
    8.) remaster knoppix
    9.) sleep
    10) get bored and stare blankly at the screen

ok ok so the last 2 arent really good things about linux particularily... rather i can do all of these items whenever wherever and not worry about random hangups, bad cd-burns, web browser crashing entire system etc.... glad i ditched winblows... fortunately the rest of the world uses it so i still have a day job... (im a PC/Network repair technician)

who needs portable solitare... ive got the whole game sweet i can run... even on a virus infected computer.

well, im still waiting for f-prot to add the MBR scanning function to linux.. oh well... ill keep you posted

toast

[edit] the link you posted is broken... page not found

Quote Originally Posted by roberto
    well, im still waiting for f-prot to add the MBR scanning function to linux.. oh well... ill keep you posted

toast
    Hm, I don't remember too well, but I thought that linux/debian had also an package dos-mbr, like dos fdisk /mbr. But anyway you can have several mbr's on disk and install them with install-mbr.

Btw. Knoppix persistent home and persistent configuration, does now work from version on of Cebit-Edition (2003-03-24 for example).

So you can really have your upgradable f-prot on memory stick or there is another solution you can have files in the /cdrom and not in the KNOPPIX-masterd image.

Ok, this helps you not with the scanning functions, but it came to my mind, while readings this )

Btw. thanx for mentioning smartsuite.. I didn't knew this tools before and we had in school, where I am admin several disk-crashes yet ... so it would be good to monitor )

cu

Fabian

Member registered user

UPDATE!

OK first off... I already typed this reply once and as soon as I clicked on submit it deleted all of the stuff on the page... mumble mumble.

Here is the latest on my quest with F-prot and Knoppix (in laundry list form naturally). I have been working with a few other people to create a couple of things...

1.) A script that automatically scans for valid partitions and allows you to select what you want to scan and how... something where it will be easier than manually typing a sometimes LONG command.

2.) A GUI Front end to that script that will allow selection through check boxes, drop down menus, and the like. also would be able to explain the options graphically. (read USER FRIENDLY)

3.) Instructions on how to include f-prot in your next remaster of Knoppix. I am also looking into posting instructions to allow f-prot to take advantage of the Persistant Home software. In effect you would run the binary from the remastered cd-rom but it would allow you to have your updated DEF's on a USB thumbstick, Hard-Drive, second CD-ROM, etc.) Hence eliminating the need to remaster Knoppix every time you want to update the f-prot DEF's.

NEW!!! I have created a forum at this location:

www.sourceforge.net/projects/knoppix-doc
    or specifically
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/?group_id=70773

It is entitled "F-Prot And Other Add-In S/W"
    Please USE this forum for further recommendations / improvements / questions / and other help requests. This is also the easiest way to make something heard, contributions to be posted noticed, etc. because my time available to browse this forum has become quite limited. (e-mail still works ESPECIALLY well). Have fun!

[edit] - BTW FabianX is the creator of the script to automount HD and scan for viri found on another post on this forum. This script is what this laundry list is about... His script is what i am planning on working on and improving... naturally with FabianX's support... now if only i could get ahold of him on the #knoppix channel....

toast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast