Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Linux is a dream that is not realy there

linux can be a pain as someone said in an earlier thread.
    however,if ur delving into the world of linux,u must have some decent exp with pc's.

its apparent from ur original post that u know very little about what linux has to offer.

try reading a few books,joining online communities etc....
    I promise,when u know a little more, ull get addicted....i know i did!

Keep trying,its worth it in the end.

Junior Member registered user
    sorry guys i couldnt resist posting here

i am a total noob in Linux but i have tried several version to look how it is and i also downloaded them ,but i never ever had any problems installing it or whatsoever

that was all

My personal vision about 15 year of IT experience is that Linux is the FUTURE..
    M$ has counted days...
    My first distro I used was Slackware.. it did not have any help for install, but my constance, my hard will makes me able to run it at 2nd try...

When I read people that is unable to work w/ linux and says that linux is only a dream, I smile, couse they are condamned to be blind and stupid.. Their brain will strain out from their noses.. M$ is for lazy people, Linux is for active intelligent people..
    So..lets study guys.. drop m$ out from the "window"

hey dude, you've got the choice to hate it.. but whether you like it or not, you've got the choice.

Ok, I am a total nOOb when it comes to Linux My first experience with it was last week when I downloaded and burned a copy of Knoppix at school (Go SAC Rangers!). Since Knoppix is a "live" CD, I was able to try it out on two different systems in our Electroncis Technology Lab. The first was a 233MHz PII w/64 Mb. After creating a swap file on the existing HD, it ran great! I was able to log on to the internet right away without having to wait for any kind of password or anything! I play around with a few programs included and I was SOLD The next machine I tried it on was an Intel P4, 3GHz w/an 80GB HD and 256MB DDR ram. I had NO problems running it, of course! I went home and took the plunge and installed it on my new AMD XP2000 box w/256MB ram and 4GB Hd. Well.... that install took a few hours until I figured everything out. But it was a HD install and not run from CD. I had to learn a few Linux tips and tricks, but all in all, it is working great and I will never go back to M$ anything again! It sounds to me like you might have a bad burner or something in the hardware install is wrong. Also, you have to realize that DL'ing a big file with a dialup connection will usually result in problems with the downloaded file. If you use a "download helper" program, you will probably have much better success. Also, the reason so many people stick with windoze is because they have learned to accept a lower level of performance for a "perceived" level of reliability. How many times have you gotten the "blue screen of death" on your windoze machine? Surely countless times, even when you aren't doing anything! Just take some time to learn about your hardware and about Linux itself, obtain a "REAL" tested CD from a reputable dealer and dive in! Yes, you may have to work at it a little bit to get it to work, but I guarantee you that you will be much, much happier when you are done. And if that doesn't work, either post a specific question in one of these forums or email me at mramirez68@mail.accd.edu and I will be glad to help you in any way that I can. I'll even DL and burn a copy of whichever distro you want to try! Either way, quit hating and start working! Ok, 'nuff said!

Oh I'm so tired I dont want to read the rest of the long posts..but let me put in my comments.

You seem to be one of the few who think Linux doesn't work. If you can't get it installed then there is something you're doing wrong or your hardware is bad.

I mean, I got Red Hat 9 installed in 15 minutes! Up and running including the boot loader. anaconda is easy..and the Knoppix install is a bit harder..thats because it wasn't really meant to be installed. But I can get that done in less than 25 minutes--no sweat.

Plus..Windows XP takes about an hour to install--and you have to sit there and wait for those moments where it needs input..And it doesn't come with nearly as much useful software than Knoppix or red hat.

For you, I suggest #1 Get a new internet connection! Mine sucks and it only took 4 hours for Knoppix, and #2 Get a new computer..so that you can install Linux..

Senior Member registered user
    I would say Windows rule the PC world, linux rules other appliance that will be in our house.

So if all you want is just the function provided by Windows, don't bother to try linux on your PC.

However, if you are like many of those linux lovers who want to do things beyond what Windows on PC can provide, spend some time and it would be rewarded.

I have just turned a Xbox into a home entertainment unit, freevo/mythtv in the foreground for TV/Movie watching and a firewall/router/wireless access point in the background, all for just 150 bucks. Now try that with Windows. I believe Microsoft was also advertising this kind of usage on PC with a hardware price tag of 2000+.

BTW, my 7 year old 150Mhz Pentium notebook which is now good for nothing(no way to install any of those new Windows) has become a X workstation using my Xbox for casual browsing/email as well as openmosix node to share some load of my Xbox.

darnit

Will some mod please rename this thread to something more sensible:
    I suggest Windows was a nightmare from which i awoke but anything will probably do

I think the couple of noobies who posted sum this up!!!!
    They downloaded, they read the instructions they stuck in the CD...

If they can do it why not whoever started this topic!

If you set off with a negative attitude then expect a negative result....

Now garyng.....
    What packages did you need for the freevo/myth tv!!!!
    I just upgraded to xebian 1.0.1 and noticed a big speed improvement over 0.4.0 although I also did the F: drive install not E:

Also Im working on the resolution.....
    Its on a projector () and not that simple to read!!! Works great as a DVD player but web browsing has me squinting!!!

I would be interested in learning more about garyng's xbox modification. How about it garyng?

Well, strictly speaking the linux I run on xbox has nothing to do with knoppix. Go to http://xbox-linux.sf.net where you can find the detail on how to install/boot linux on xbox. There is one called xebian which make use of cloop(just like KNOPPIX) and which is also a live CD distribution. Only it doesn't boot from CD but load from xbox. For me, I installed it from scratch using 'debootstrap' which I have posted a howto to the xbox-linux mailing list.

As for freevo/mythtv, they are at http://freevo.sf.net and http://www.mythtv.net. Both has debian unstable package so it is simply apt-get.

For Freevo, there is a few modifications that needs to be done in order to use the xpad to control it and also play VCD(which xbox's DVD has tuned not to read such a thing nicely, but mplayer still can play it). If after installation of these and you still have problems, we can discuss that in detail.

While people are saying mythtv is better than freevo, I found freevo more suitable for my need, especially for xbox. It becomes the 'fronend' menu system for my xbox which I can initiate the system shutdown too, all using xpad or the DVD remote. And adding other functions shouldn't be too difficult. I also installed GDM so I can 'X -broadcast' from any PC. I set the resolution to 640x480 and it is fine for casual viewing, even text. I only have a normal 32" NTSC TV. I use GDM's autologin feature so the screen on start is already freevo.

Of course, the DVD/music playing can also be done using standard xbox features but I have the added benefit of a server/router in the background and turn my old notebook useful again. I have also installed openvpn/freeswan/ssh so it is possible to have secure remote access(read VPN) from any part of the world, as I am on cable that has some pretty decent speed.

All these are just geek things but at 150(xbox + MechAssault game + a Netgear USB wireless adaptor), what can I complain ? I am temped to get one of those USB PVR/TV tuner or webcam so I can watch my house(or live chat with mom) or enjoy home TV channels when I am away(I live in 2 places with a 16 hour time zone difference in a 6 month rotation).

All these can be done with Windows too with their media PC concept but at may be 10x the price tag and it looks awful in the living room. Xbox on the other hand blend well into it(just like a VCR) and it is pretty quiet and is not power hungry(about 100W) so is fine for 24x7 use.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast