Thread: Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)

Senior Member registered user

Booting to Knoppix v3.3 gets ... Permission Denied (solved)

Help, I have been trying to get a DOS partition on my hda device working, and since I couldn't figure out (myself) how to get the fstab entry right, I booted to the CD, with a noswap boot option.

Since the CD Boot could see, and even mount, my hda2 (dos partition), I wanted to look at the fstab file done by the CD.

Being brave, I figured I could add the entry into "my" fstab file, which is on hda1...

So, I mounted hda1, and went into /etc/fstab - and tryied to add the hda2 entry, upon trying to save the updated file on hda1, it yelled I didn't have priviledges. So, I bailed out, and figured I could memorize the line entry, until I could reboot back into the hda1 HD install.

Upon (trying to) reboot into hda1 (knoppix hd installed), I get the following, until it locks up....

/etc/init.d/rcS: line ##: /[folder]/[something]: [description]: Permission Denied

Line numbers go from 1 up to 91, until it locks up. All these messages are coming from the boot, right after the LILO, and after the penguin logo hits the screen.

What did I do, and how do I fix it???? PLEASE

As a consolation, hda1 was formatted with ext3 file system, if that helps? Sheesh, all I did was boot to the CD, and "touch", or "mount" my knoppix hard drive install - please, someone tell me what I can do to resolve this, my system is deader than a doornail at the moment - and I'm seriously going through "Linux Withdrawl"

Thanks to anyone, and everyone who can get me back alive...
    Cuddles

Ok, from what is left on the screen, after it locks up... Here is what is in the black screen...

Line #36
    /dev/console ... Permission Denied
    /bin/rm ...
    Mount local file systems...
    Line #12
    /bin/mount ...
    /bin/grep ...
    /dev/null ...
    /bin/sh ...
    /bin/hostname ...
    Line #72
    /sbin/hwclock ...
    /bin/date ...
    /bin/cp ...
    /usr/bin/find ...
    /bin/chmod ...
    /bin/dmesg ...
    Line #62 (last on screen, and freezes)
    /bin/run-parts ...

Note that the "..." is the Permission Denied

Trying to catch the stuff that is before all of this, I can only make out that it found my processor and memory, ok, but everything else comes up with this "Permission Denied"

I am desperate here, my system is down, and so is my email, and I can't play Frozen-Bubble (j/k the game is fun, but my system is more important than just a game.)

Thanks for any help, and possible resolution,
    Cuddles

Disregard....

(Noob, seriously, Noob, here)

In the attempt toi get my hda2 (dos partition) mounted through fstab, I inadvertantly, got hda1 and hda2 mounting to the same location - "/"

Since hda1 was a ext3, and hda2 was a vfat - the two coulldn't mount the same location, and ( I guess ) during bootup, Linux/Knoppix got seriously confused, and spewd out error messages, and refused to boot. Actually a VERY GOOD thing, in fact, if "someone" would have made any changes on the hda2 partiton, pointing to hda1, I think I would have been doing a re-install

I don't think the CD had anything to do with it, I think the CD just got caught in the cross-fire of my changing fstab - I booted into the CD, noswap single cheatcodes, made hda1 writtable, su'ed to root, and commented out the mount command in fstab for hda2 - booted back into Linux/Knoppix HD installed hda1 - PERFECTLY.

I guess you can say one good/bad thing about Linux -=- a little information about the OS, CAN get you into a LOT of trouble -=- On the "excellent" side, at least the CD doesn't give you THAT MUCH "muscle" to mess up things too much

Case closed, mission accomplished, fire out, flames dead, topic/thread resolved... Frozen-Bubble -> running as normal [giggle]
    Cuddles