Thread: flopy and cdrom don't work

Junior Member registered user

flopy and cdrom don't work

I installed knoppix onto my hard drive and everything seems to be going fine except that the floppy and cdrom icon's don't work when i tell them to open them up. I noticed that they are accessing them under the /mnt directory, but they are really under the root directory. How can i edit them? Also i can mount the cd rom myself by doing it in the terminal then going to the /cdrom directory but the floppy does not work. Anyone ever get this problem?

Senior Member registered user
    rhpot1991,

I have Knoppix 3.3 HD Installed on my machine, and have created icons, plus the icons supplied during the installation, on my desktop screen.

All of my CDROM and Floppy Icons are pointing to /mnt/... properties...

I think they have to, because the devices don't always have media in them, so, they can't always be mounted, not like a hard drive, which is static.

Are your /mnt/... properties pointing to the "physical" devices? i.e. I have two cdroms, one is a rewrite, and the other is a dvd device. The DVD is reported during boot as being cdrom, and the rewrite is cdrom1 - then Knoppix creates symbols to these for DVD and CDAUDIO, but the "physical" devices are on cdrom and cdrom1 - that is where my icons point to...

DVD = /mnt/cdrom
    CDRW = /mnt/cdrom1

Does this help? (at least its a start, if not correct)
    Cuddles

changed the directories in fstab to the mount directory, the icons now work, but they do not mount it i have to do that myself, any idea or any advice for having them mount before they open up the directory, also when i restart the little flag logo comes up as german how can i make the u.s. one come up by defualt, thanks for the help.

rhpot1991,

Keyboard overlay is coming up German, and not English - thats what that little flag is telling you next to the clock.

Go to KMenu -> Settings -> Control Center.

Inside Control Center - Go to Regional & Accessibility, open the "+" [plus] next to it, under that you will find Country/Region & Language - make sure you have it set to correct country and languages, lastly, this is the one that will change the little flag in your tray - select Keyboard Layout, it is right under the Country/Region & Language - set it to, probably U.S. English, ensure that Enable Keyboard Layouts are checked.

Click APPLY, and then Quit out of Control Center, after you click the APPLY, your little flag should show a US Flag now. These settings should keep even after you reboot. I have found that, when I create a new user, the German Flag is the default to a new user, and I need to go through these same steps for every user I create on the system. But, once you know the changes, it only takes a few seconds to get it done.

I also prefer to see the DATE and TIME differently than what the defaults are: Default Time is in the format of pH:MM:SS AMPM and Date is in MM/DD/YY, I like the 24 hour time setting, and the date with a four digit year, so my time is HH:MM:SS and date is MM/DD/YYYY.

Once you do these things for at least one user, you get used to where things are, and what you need to change, a lot easier.

Cuddles

thanks for the help, everything seems to be up and running fine now.

Hmmmm, as for the resolve of your mount devices, and having to mount them first, and then use the icons...

Sounds like your setting in fstab, can you post them?
    I will compare them to what I have, and post any differances, ok?

Cuddles

# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hdd3 /mnt/hdd3 vfat defaults,gid=knoppix,umask=007 0 0

All seems good now, I do have to mount them manually before they work, but at least they work, if you know how to make them mount when the icon is clicked that would be cool, but if not then its good how it is.

Oh my, I have been so fucused on this, but didn't realize that you are talking about your floppy and a cdrom - the floppy I have no clue, haven't used my floppy since I installed knoppix - but the cdrom - I do know... I take it you have one cdrom, and it is also a dvd player??? If so, then we got ourselves good here...

Ok, from my system,

I have a dvd device on scd0, and a CDRW device on scd1... As for the /mnt/ part... My Knoppix v3.3 setup everything the way it is now, but I "tweaked" a few things, in other areas of the fstab...

Here is my fstab: (cd area only)
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

my dvd and cdaudio are the same as cdrom, though they use different directories (folders) (mount points)

From what I can see, the only issue here is, where does /dev/dvd and /dev/cdaudio point to...
    (untimately, and if all three are one-in-the-save device)

In a Root Konsole, try the following:

ls -l /dev/dvd
    ls -l /dev/cdaudio

(note that the commands above, if I type them in uppercase for clarity, it is: LS -L [device] )
    The command stands for List Structure, with a switch of show Links...

mine look like this:

knoppix@Polaris:~$ ls -l /dev/dvd
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 4 06:10 /dev/dvd -> /dev/cdrom
    knoppix@Polaris:~$ ls -l /dev/cdaudio
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jan 4 06:10 /dev/cdaudio -> /dev/cdrom

Note the "->" pointer - both dvd and cdaudio point to /dev/cdrom, so if I do a ls -l /dev/cdrom, this is what I get:

knoppix@Polaris:~$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jan 4 06:37 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

Note that this device "points" to /dev/scd0 - which you can find out what scd# is by investigating output of dmesg command...

So, if you have about the same thing, you might be able to "duplicate" the directory/folder named /dev/dvd and name the duplicate /dev/cdrom - then re-point your cdrom entry to a load point/mount point of /cdrom - as for the cdrom1 - that one we dont have a duplicate or "sample" to use for that one...

What I propose:
    Copy the directory/folder /dvd and name it as /cdrom - ensure the properties are identical to /dvd - and change your mount point for your cdrom to the new /cdrom directory/folder.

So, your new fstab entries would look like this:
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

Here is what I see needs to be done:
    1) Create a DVD icon, and see if it Auto-Mounts when you open it. If it does, we are in business...
    2) As root, copy the /dvd folder and paste as /cdrom - make sure the properties for cdrom folder are identical to the dvd folder.
    3) As root, edit your fstab file, and point your cdrom to the new folder you just created - /cdrom

4) Delete, or redo the cdrom icon on your desktop - make sure that it points to the NEW mount point - not /mnt/cdrom but to /cdrom -=- you will need to do this for any, and all, users that have this icon on their desktop as well.

5) test it out - All of this assumes that you can use the icon DVD on your desktop, and you can open a view of your cdrom w/o having to mount it first. If this is the case, the changes made to cdrom, should follow same as the dvd one.

6) Clean-up details - once the /cdrom folder is being used for the cdrom, you can evaporate the /mnt/cdrom folder. All of the changes above ASSUME that your cdrom is NOT MOUNTED. If it is, you need to UNMOUNT it BEFORE doing all of this.

Something I have learned about Knoppix/Linux - through a lot of help from others here - mount points are simply a folder, that when a device is mounted, the folder is used to hold the contents of that device - so changing mount points is pretty easy, and straight-forward, once this realization is figured out. The properties of these "mount point" folders, determines how, and who, can access them. Pretty neato, in my oppinion

I'll wait for a response,
    Cuddles