Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: klik: point-and-klik software store for Knoppix

Member registered user
    Is there another point-and klik sofware store other than this one (http://klik.berlios.de/?from=profile)?
    The programs in it are not changing IE there are no new ones being added. I see people saying that they have added programs here and there. So I'm guessing I'm looking in the wrong place for new Point-and-Klik software.

I think this is going to be a huge boon for Knoppix and Linux as a whole.

I'd like to be able to tell more people about this and maybe stir up some more interest in Linux in the area but untill I know where to point people to show them where new software is being put and where it can be PAKed from, I feel stuck.

I still find it strange. As I burned Knoppix-19, Klik worked perfectly fine. Realplayer, Flash, KPlayer, BibEdit, they all worked.
    After I did the HD install, I could still install KLIK, but when I then clicked a program, the klik program seemed to do nothing - the startup notification was shown for about 1/10 second and then nothing.
    Is this because of the HD install, or that I just happened to do the HD install while you have made a script change that made it incompatible with knoppix-19?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    Is there another point-and klik sofware store other than this one (http://klik.berlios.de/?from=profile)?
    I hope not. IMHO a *lot* of klik's usability comes from the fact that there is *one* store.

I hope people who want to add programs use http://klik.berlios.de/?contribute=recipe - until now, that was not used excessively, though. You can see what was contributed at http://klik.berlios.de/contrib/

I think this is going to be a huge boon for Knoppix and Linux as a whole. I'd like to be able to tell more people about this and maybe stir up some more interest in Linux in the area but untill I know where to point people to show them where new software is being put and where it can be PAKed from, I feel stuck.
    Maybe that's just a little bit early. We should set up a "real" store like Lindows CNR with categories, faq and stuff. But before that, we need working "general" recipes for at least KDE (partially done), GNOME and konsole apps.

Also there is still the idea around to have an automated server-side recipe generator... that would instantly give us hundreds, if not thousands of apps... Please contact me if you are a PHP and shell wizard and want to join.

Quote Originally Posted by daan
    As I burned Knoppix-19, Klik worked perfectly fine. After I did the HD install, (...) the klik program seemed to do nothing
    That was a bad bug in the client and I _hope_ it is fixed since today. Unfortunately, I don't have a zoo of test machines to play with

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    I hope not. IMHO a *lot* of klik's usability comes from the fact that there is *one* store.

I hope people who want to add programs use http://klik.berlios.de/?contribute=recipe - until now, that was not used excessively, though. You can see what was contributed at http://klik.berlios.de/contrib/

I think this is going to be a huge boon for Knoppix and Linux as a whole. I'd like to be able to tell more people about this and maybe stir up some more interest in Linux in the area but untill I know where to point people to show them where new software is being put and where it can be PAKed from, I feel stuck.
    Maybe that's just a little bit early. We should set up a "real" store like Lindows CNR with categories, faq and stuff. But before that, we need working "general" recipes for at least KDE (partially done), GNOME and konsole apps.

Also there is still the idea around to have an automated server-side recipe generator... that would instantly give us hundreds, if not thousands of apps... Please contact me if you are a PHP and shell wizard and want to join.
    I realy wish I could help but I dont know Linux any farther than click and watch it do something. I am still vary much a Linux nube and have no one to learn from.

I did notice that some of the contributed programs like mplayer are not in the PAK SS. I klicked on it from your link and it did nothing. So I'm guessing that you can only PAK from the SS. So there must be a broken link to it for mplayer because it is not there.

I did notice that some of the contributed programs like mplayer are not in the PAK SS. I klicked on it from your link and it did nothing. So I'm guessing that you can only PAK from the SS. So there must be a broken link to it for mplayer because it is not there.
    mplayer is part of the klik kplayer download!

to the contributor who uploaded kmplayer: the file was empty...

Quote Originally Posted by daan
    After I did the HD install, I could still install KLIK, but when I then clicked a program, the klik program seemed to do nothing
    I hope this is really fixed now if you reinstall the client. Btw, just tried to install RealPlayer on Knoppix 3.4 c't edition: Success...

Junior Member registered user
    I think this is going to be a huge boon for Knoppix and Linux as a whole. I'd like to be able to tell more people about this and maybe stir up some more interest in Linux in the area but until I know where to point people to show them where new software is being put and where it can be PAKed from, I feel stuck.

<...>

I really wish I could help but I don't know Linux any farther than click and watch it do something. I am still very much a Linux nube and have no one to learn from.
    That's pretty much the way I feel. I think that Linux + Knoppix + klik = a revolution in the way operating systems and applications are done. I wish there were some substantial way I could contribute.

Hi Discerner0,

Besides a community of recipe builders --
    how about support from users who can
    suggest the best "killer applications" that
    should be included on klik early on?

Lets not just get a dump of everyones all time
    want list -- but the best to demonstrate
    the benifits of klik to the targeted user.

Hi probono -- would this be better in another
    thread?

Best Wishes
    paradocs

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast