Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: klik: point-and-klik software store for Knoppix

Senior Member registered user

Re: Any chance to make it work with other Browsers?

Quote Originally Posted by janmartin3
    E.g.
    Opera,
    Mozilla,
    Firebird
    If you mean will it work on other browsers., the answer is no, it uses a KDE protocol, which is only avail in konqueoror.

P.s., 1st suggestion; after installing it, how bout opening up a konqueror to the page?

Hello all,

KLIK is a major advance for KNOPPIX live disk.
    Thank you probono -- until you are better paid.

The instalations are saved and restored with persistent
    home and my burn_home project -- which is a 2 CD version
    of KNOPPIX.

I agree that a combined directory would be good --
    just don't call it Program Files
    I have installed live CD installation scripts from kano and they
    are placed in /home/knoppix/dist
    http://kano.mipooh.net
    I told him I did not think that folder name was user friendly.

But your approach of everyting in one folder is excellent.

I would be interested in trying a boot script from a floppy
    that would pick up one or two instalations upon each boot.
    But would that give you site too much unnecessary traffic?

The overlay file system will also be revolutionary.

How about calling you site:
    klik KNOPPIX LIVE INSTALLER KINGDOM
    or KNOPPIX LIVE INSTALLER KONSOLE

Best Wishes,
    paradocs

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I've now installed Jap, Real8, and Smbk4. After you feel comfortable with your refinements, it would be nice to submit Klik to Klaus so it could be included in Knoppix.
    Thanks for your Kudos

Before we submit it for inclusion in Knoppix, we need to solve one problem: http://klik.berlios.de/ only contains the "klik recipes" on how to install software, not the actual software packages itself. These are downloaded from various sources throughout the internet. This is fine for many files, but some files tend to be highly "volatile". e. g. debian sid packages get updated once in a while and then become unavailable through the debian mirrors, which then breaks the "klik recipes". We then cannot simply use the newer packages because that often would break Knoppix dependencies. Therefore, we need a way to "archive" the packages we use in klik.

To put it short: We need server space with lots of fast bandwidth. Not for klik itself, but for some of the packages it installs. If anyone can help me out with this, please contact me.

Besides, "inclusion" in Knoppix is not really neccessary. The klik client is tiny, extremely easy to install, updated quite often, and useless without internet connection anyway. What should be included in Knoppix at some point in time, however, is a link to the klik homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    I agree that a combined directory would be good --
    just don't call it Program Files
    If I did this, I would call it either klik or .klik - what would you like more? klik would be visible and therefore easier to locate for newbies, .klik would be more elegant and wouldn't clutter your home directory.

Why didn't I do this initially? It is important for me to make the user know that each application package (which can be one app or a set of related apps) is "encapsulated" in its own directory. Unlike kano's "dist" which essentially throws it all together and therefore makes it hard to debug and uninstall.

I would be interested in trying a boot script from a floppy
    that would pick up one or two instalations upon each boot.
    But would that give you site too much unnecessary traffic?
    Why don't you .tar.gz your klik packages, burn them on cd and expand them in your knoppix.sh upon boot? Would be way faster...

The overlay file system will also be revolutionary.
    Indeed!

how about calling you site:
    klik KNOPPIX LIVE INSTALLER KINGDOM
    or KNOPPIX LIVE INSTALLER KONSOLE
    KLIK LIVE INSTALLER KDE
    KLIK LIVE INSTALLER KNOPPIX
    even though klik is not really limited to Knoppix nor KDE

Re: Any chance to make it work with other Browsers?

Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    If you mean will it work on other browsers., the answer is no, it uses a KDE protocol, which is only avail in konqueoror.

P.s., 1st suggestion; after installing it, how bout opening up a konqueror to the page?
    Great idea, done.
    Just install the client again to get the newest version.

nice idea! I too have been following Kano's scripts, but this seems to be a neater solution (instead of directly depending on scripts). Kudos!

Ofcourse, the drawback of not being able to use it in Mozilla/Firebird is limiting, but I'll be sure to add it to my upcoming KDE version. Either way, I owe you one yet again

Quote Originally Posted by Alextreme
    Ofcourse, the drawback of not being able to use it in Mozilla/Firebird is limiting, but I'll be sure to add it to my upcoming KDE version. Either way, I owe you one yet again
    Thanks. Let's see how long it takes for SUN to take it over

As for Mozilla/Firebird: It could be made work in Mozilla/Firebird also, using http://mozex.mozdev.org/
    It must be set up to make $HOME/.klik the handler for klik:/ links. However, including all the neccessary stuff would unneccessarily bloat the klik client setup since Konqueror is present in every KDE install anyway.

As for klik and Morphix: It is very likely that the "klik recipe" for each app has to be specifically rewritten for Morphix since Morphix tends to use other packages and therefore has other dependencies than Knoppix. I currently see no easy solution for this, but we can investigate it together.

Interesting, hadn't yet seen mosex...

What I have been working on, is getting apt-get to work (dpkg already does, has been a long-standing issue), having scripts and a browser to do this might be more useful than using synaptic (ie. do _exactly_ what Click&Run does. I've been discussing this with a few Debian guys too, could be automated using the Trove hierarchy and an extra database. oh well, ranting on and on like usual...)

Still, I'll try it out in Morphix KDE a bit more. I'll keep in touch and let you know if there are any issues using klik

(btw, Sun has been keeping contact, it feels like being the bug that is looked at by a mean kid with some huge looking glass )

VERY COOL

This is VERY COOL!!!!

I know its still in devel but how about dividing tested/untested packages ??

How about an upload for packaged Deb's.... could we all contribute somehow by uploading any Debs into a testing area???

Congratulations

Alextreme, I also thought about apt-get and synaptic. But Knoppix ain't plain debian...

klik is planned to be extremely flexible, i. e. it currently can handle (by manually adopting more or less standardized "klik recipe" templates the format of which I will be refining) Shell-, KDE-, Java-, and even Windows-apps (using WINE, for an example try BibEdit from http://klik.berlios.de/). Windows apps will never(?) appear in apt-get... so do others...

klik is designed as a central page with a database and using server-side (PHP) includes for reusing code that occurs in several "klik recipes". I want to make possible for users to contribute their "recipes". One "recipe" is always built against one specific Knoppix release, so we *need* community effort for building recipes.

I want to make sure each "recipe" is checked and running flawless at least with one Knoppix release. If we use apt-get on the end-user side, that can not be guranteed, especially as the contents of the repositories change over time. Also, it is slow and bandwidth-consuming (must download the package index over the net each time.)

But apt-get can play an important game in helping the creator of a "klik recipe" to find out which packages are required for the "recipe".

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast