Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 with 2.6 kernel available in two weeks?

Senior Member registered user

Re: KDE 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    Is the release date for Knoppix 3.4, February 9th, related to the KDE 3.2 release date, February 2nd?

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7689
    http://developer.kde.org/development...ease-plan.html
    By reckoning the official release will be much later than this. Feb 9th is the date that 3.4 will appear in the above mentioned magazine. I believe Klaus has said that 3.4 won't be "officially" released until after the Cebit conference (March 18 - 24). So unless somone in German wants to get a copy of it from the magazine and put up a bit torrent link somewhere (hint hint), we won't be getting it for a while.

Junior Member registered user heffeque's Avatar
    I found the information about ATi's drivers http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=22 <- here.

Re: nVidia driver

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Quote Originally Posted by sn0wflake
    Any chance that the nVidia Linux 2.6 driver will be included in Knoppix 3.4?

http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2163
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-5336.html
    No. I think the nividia license allows for such distribution, but Kluas is not persuaded. Kano or Fabianix may have an install script for it however as they did for 2.4.x
    Doesn't make sense. From the NVidia licensing page:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nv_swlicense.html
    Quote Originally Posted by NVidia license
    2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files).
    IOW, as long as the driver doesn't need to be modified to work under Knoppix, redistribution is explicitly allowed.

If Knoppix has some sort of special driver-loader which requires wrappers or format conversion, that would be a problem, but if Knoppix works just like any other Linux, then sehr gut.

except for unzippingn of compressed files- however running them in a cloop compressed image is compressing them and hence is altering them. They are distributed in tar.gz generally. However, adding them in knoppix requires uncompressing them (ok), and then recompressing them into cloop (probably not ok).

Of course if you gutting 60% of knoppix, you could fit it on a CD without cloop compression....

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    except for unzippingn of compressed files- however running them in a cloop compressed image is compressing them and hence is altering them. They are distributed in tar.gz generally. However, adding them in knoppix requires uncompressing them (ok), and then recompressing them into cloop (probably not ok).
    Alex (creator of Morphix) asked Nvidia if it would be ok to include the drivers on Morphix. They said it would be fine. I think (not completely sure) that this was told to Klaus.

Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23

Of course if you gutting 60% of knoppix, you could fit it on a CD without cloop compression....
    So, if it's not ok to compress them, but it's ok to uncompress them, how did they become compressed in the first place??

Given that other distributions include them (and the comment about Morphix being told by NVidia that it's ok), I'm guessing this is just "someone" playing political games. Ok, I'll just have to learn to do remastering. Meanwhile, MandrakeMove (free download edition) seemed to boot fine on my SN41G2 XPC (NForce2), so I assume MM has the NVidia drivers in it too (although it's nowhere nearly as nice-looking or smooth as Knoppix!).

Quote Originally Posted by aay
    ... 3.4 won't be "officially" released until after the Cebit conference (March 18 - 24). So unless somone in German wants to get a copy of it from the magazine and put up a bit torrent link somewhere (hint hint), we won't be getting it for a while... .
    I guess that a Knoppix CD shipped with the c't magazine could be shared on the Internet without any problems?
    But, I am afraid, that most likely ít will be a German version... ? Any serious Linux user speaking German is subscribed to c't anyhow

Quote Originally Posted by dg1sek
    I guess that a Knoppix CD shipped with the c't magazine could be shared on the Internet without any problems?
    But, I am afraid, that most likely ít will be a German version... ? Any serious Linux user speaking German is subscribed to c't anyhow
    The language defaults can be set at boot time with cheat codes. "knoppix lang=us" on the german disk should boot up into English.

Member registered user

cheatcode..

I hope someone will put the bootdisk image online.
    I reported that TORAM copied entire cd, not just KNOPPIX directory.

not nice for a DVD..I don't have 4.5GB RAM

there will be a new cheatcode.."fromdvd"

2.6, nvidia and cloop

one of the major issues in moving to 2.6 is/was cloop. One of our comrades in action (toasty) found http://yui.mine.nu/linux/eberry.html seems someone already ported cloop to 2.6.x. Not sure if this was known before, but wanted to give you guys something to play around with

Anyway, have cloop (with the 2.6 changes) packaged and up on http://am.xs4all.nl/morphix/debs/2.6 for all interested. Do note that I don't even know if they work, and that the packages don't come from Klaus, so don't bother him about them. Klaus will probably have ported cloop himself by now, so they might become redundant soon. YMWV. You're on your own (i'll bug good ol' Kano about this too, he's darn quick when it comes to extra kernel changes). I personally won't overhaul Morphix to 2.6 soon, rather take this step carefully

and about Nvidia, I don't think Klaus wants them in Knoppix, but I havn't discussed this with him personally. I have asked Nvidia, and compression wasn't a form of modification. They're only frightend about reverse-engineering et al. But, the license isn't too clear, so I can understand why he wouldn't want them included. Legal issues suck

Cheers, and happy hacking!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast