Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of god can someone do this

Member registered user
    Hey there Leg0z... you're new to Linux right? What you're saying is exactly what I thought at first too...(if only they did this, EVERYONE would jump on Linux..).

I wish it were true, but it probably isn't, unfortunately. Looking at xpde though.. might be better for the family computer here

Whether or not to put it in knoppix.. well, it's obviously up to Klaus, but I don't think it would be good. We already have KDE, and I think you can give people enough credit that they'll be able to figure it out... besides, I can't re-distribute it, since I'm on dial up

Sorry - I don't get it

Sorry I don't get it - what would be so great about that ?? Making Linux look like WinXP (there are themes by the way that do that)

Junior Member registered user
    XPde from what I understand is more then just a theme. It trys to emulate the "feeling" of windows XP...

what would be so great about it is that you could really ease the transition between windows and linux for someone who knows how to use windows xp. combined it with knoppix, and to a windows user thats pretty impressive.

I'm working on this. The distro is called "eXPo" (remember the name ). I did already a test release with XPde 0.1, and now I'm working on a new version with XPde 0.2 (released last saturday).

The problem is to remove all the packages the "normal newbie user" doesn't need and get the ISO image as small as possible. btw: If anyone can give me some space on his ftp-server for the ISO file, it would be nice!

Another problem is that people expect to much. Keep in mind that XPde 0.2 is far away from beeing a final 1.0 release. It doesn't even have a file manager. But anyway, development is going fast because of our two great core developers, cheers to Zeljan and José, you rock!

stay tuned...

look at http://www.xpde.com - I'll make a post when I have eXPo 0.2 complete, expect it in a week or two...

Senior Member registered user
    Well, if it isn't too big i might risk placing it on my ftp (i don't think my isp would really mind, but it depends on the size).

Also, the problem with getting a base distro was tackled some time ago (first knopBase, later improved in Model-K and my own morphix base(sortof ). It's worth investing some time to not have to do the same work twice (something i too don't do often enough, i must admit).

However, i find that this project is a bit useless, i'd rather see this effort into making Gnome-applications (or KDE's for that matter) _better_. icewm is a great win32-like clone (not to-the-pixel point, but the general idea is the same, and a good theme really makes a difference). Also, if i put my non-geek mom behind a wellconfigured Gnome2.2 or KDE 3 desktop, she'll find out how it works just by trying, and within a few minutes she'll be surfing the web and chatting like usual.
    It's not the desktop-interface that is the problem, it's having the applications that are usable and common enough. Imitating is good, but imitate the right idea's, not the wrong ones.

Sorry, just had to rant, don't mind this dirty hairy troll

Taken from the XPde FAQ:

· It's a waste of time, linux users should use KDE or Gnome!!

Yes, you are right. We use KDE, and we even think it is better than the Windows XP interface, but this project is not to replace KDE or Gnome. If you can switch a Windows XP user to Linux with the lowest learning curve as possible, then the goal of using KDE or Gnome is near. XPde is just an option for *existing* Windows XP users.

· I have installed Linux for my sister, my mother, my grandma, my little she-dog and my she-turtle with no computer knowledge and they are able to use it with no problems!!!!

You are right, you don't need this project.

· Do you think an *existing* user of Windows XP would want to migrate?, they are ok with what they have!!!

No, an *existing* user of Windows XP doesn't even know there such a thing called Linux, which can be more stable, more secure, with a lower TCO. If they know about it, they have to break too many walls to get into it. They won't want to migrate.

YOU as developer, YOU as sysadmin would like your customers use Linux. It would save you countless hours on the phone, countless hours repairing stupid Windows machines, countless hours cleaning viruses and it would give you a lot of flexibility on the computer management of your customers. XPde is just another tool in your toolset to help you migrate YOUR customers.

Martin I cant wait to see this done man... thank you for takeing up the project

-Leg0z

Senior Member registered user
    exactly the response i was expecting after my filthy rant ( i read that faq a few days ago )

Oh well, even though i don't agree with you two: good luck with your project and i hope it works out

Member registered user
    just put the error fatal screen saver (waiting first time 10 min and after all 2 min !!) and then could be realistic; I forget ; would you send this fatal error to Linux$debbuger .??? all times you want to close an application !!

I prefere KDE 3.1 but could be funny for some Joke (to friends who do not know Linux...)

why?

I never can understand this - why?

KDE is not so much different from xp or macosX for that matter. What "learning curve"? The curve has nothing to do with gui. The curve has to do with installing software, filesystem layout, configs, security, etc.

Anyone that comes and uses my KDE machine has zero problem loading up a web browser or doing basic file manipulations...

Besides, KDE already has options to make mouse clicks and window behaviour act like xp. What more do you want? Why not just use XP if you want XP? (I recently setup a KDE/linux/knoppix box for a great-grandma who is 86 - she's been using win98 for years. After spending a few minutes in the K settings panel, I was able to emulate everything from a single desktop, to double clicking to open something, as in her previous setup - she has no problems getting online, checking email, playing card games and writing and printing letters). Hell, there is even a "Redmond" settings option - as if that isn't a HINT-HINT.

Further, don't judge linux by it's ability to emulate windows. I prefer the KDE gui, multiple desktops and the like _over_ the xp interface.

Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Leg0z
    a knoppix complete for linux newbies, fantastic idea. Cut out some higher end programs that only an advanced linux users would use to make room for XPde. But, leave enough linux on it so you could get a good experience that way without too much confussion from the get go. Something like this really could cause a big stir in the microsoft world

-Leg0z
    I second that; there's a few progs on Knoppix that I still have very little idea of how to use. So to make a more newbie-friendly Knoppix, cut those in favor of apps that are easy to use and not just the same as the others already on the cd. As much software as there is out there for Debian, it shouldn't be difficult to find some.

BUT - pardon me, I think the XP colors are butt-ugly. I've heard XP-users say they don't like that "patronizing Tonka toy interface" either. So maybe you should consider just dropping that in favor of a nice-looking GUI.

Btw, have you checked out the new Slackware live cd? The GUI looks very advanced, comparable to XP, and yet, not ugly. Just google Slackware live cd and you'll find it, and probably screenshots too.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast