Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: brief wireless config tutorial please

Dell Inspiron 6000 problems with wireless

ok first off im running a dell inspiron 6000 with celeron 1.4 ; 1gig ddr2 ; DELL WIRELESS 1470 Dual Band minipci card (built in) and running knoppix 5.0.1 (linux 2.6) and i cant seem to get the wireless card working.when it boots it finds two ehternet adapters eth1 and eth0 (not sure wich one is wich).I get into kde and try to run wlcardconfig and it tells me there are no cards installed.so i try to install the drivers thru the ndiswrapper configuration with this driver (bcmwl5.inf) and it tells me that the files are not .inf or that they are corrupted. I cant ping . cant assign an ip and i cant use wired .i really need some help...

Quote Originally Posted by jasmith
    wlcardconfig dosen't work for me. it says there is no card.
    no lights light up either so could it be a pcmcia problem?
    my card is netgear model wg511t.

p.s. is this the string to post in for wifi?
    Hi there,

I too am having a similar problem trying to get my wireless pcmcia card running under knoppix. I am somewhat of a linux noob... sorry in advance.

I have a Thinkpad T30, a Linksys WPC54G v 2 adapter, and Knoppix 5.0. Basically, Knoppix does not seem to detect my network card. When I list them, I see only eth0, which is my Ethernet connection. Also no lights light up when the linksys card is plugged into the pcmcia slot, which was my first indication that something was wrong. I don't believe I am running in failsafe more or anything like that... at least I did not explicitly set to that.

Interestingly though, I noticed that if I run command "dmesg" I see the following when I plug a the card in and unplug it:

pccard: card ejected from slot 0
    pccard: CardBus card inserted into slot 0

But still if I run KInfoCenter, it states that no PCMCIA device is detected in either slot. which is a little perplexing.

Little help? Thanks!

No wireless card found

I got a Gateway mx6412 laptop with a broadcom wireless card knoppix boots fine however it does not recognize the card, can someone help me guide with this problem?

Re: must be run as root?

Quote Originally Posted by tony_c

1. Go to the command line and type... wlcardconfig
    2. Enter your wireless network's name (SSID) when prompted.
    3. Enter your WEP key/password (if your network is encrypted) when prompted.
    4. Leave the other specs blank.
    5. After you complete the config, at the command line type... pump -i eth0
    (where "0" is the number of your wireless card)
    i em having a problem with step 5 when i enter it i get
    pump: must be run as root

I'em not even shure what that meens

Senior Member registered user

Re: must be run as root?

Quote Originally Posted by zane_ff7
    > 1. Go to the command line and type... wlcardconfig
    > 2. Enter your wireless network's name (SSID) when prompted.
    > 3. Enter your WEP key/password (if your network is encrypted) when prompted.
    > 4. Leave the other specs blank.
    > 5. After you complete the config, at the command line type... pump -i eth0
    > (where "0" is the number of your wireless card)

i em having a problem with step 5 when i enter it i get
    pump: must be run as root

I'em not even shure what that meens
    It means that you need to run that command as user "root" instead of as user "knoppix" (which is default). You can do this with command sudo

So e.g. instead of pump -i eth0 use sudo pump -i eth0

now it just ses operation failed

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by zane_ff7
    now it just ses operation failed
    Sorry, but I can't help more. I don't have any experience about wireless internet.

Dell e1505 wireless nw

When I type: wlcardconfig the machine returns no wireless card found.
    If I type netcardconfig and accept DHCP it fails.
    If I type netcardconfig and enter no for DHCP, accept all of the default addresses it tells me it is setting the name server in /etc/resolv.conf to 192.*.*.* but I am trying to do this from CD boot--so it cannot write, unless it is writing to RAM.

I like to try and see if I could get this working with the CD before installing as dual boot

thanks

Hi all - First post so excuse my noobishness.

I have a Dell Latitude D505 with no internal wireless and a Linksys Wireless G USB network adaptor but can't get the adaptor to work and get on the internet.

Basically I plug it in and although KInfoCenter says its there the power light doesn't come on and wlcardconfig returns no cards found.

What am i missing?

Ydris

Junior Member registered user
    My wifi story. I run an older laptop: A Sony PCG-Z505JS. The 505's use an external CD-ROM. To boot them you must disable the PCMCIA slot through a cheat code: knoppix nopcmcia ide2=0x180. The problem is, with a 'poorman's install' the pcmcia remains off. Will not see my wifi card. Being a n00b, it took me a while to find the SysInit5 editor. When I turned on the PCMCIA services the system saw my wifi card I use a DellTruemobile 1150 which uses the Orinoco chipset. A quick trip to my public library for a free 'hotspot' I simply ran Kwifi Mgr and was connected
    I run 4.0.1. I cannot run 5.0.1 because it seems not to recognize my video-card

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast