Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Knoppix 3.4 C't Edition

How come this isn't up on mirrors yet? or is this an unofficial release.

Junior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    They both loaded for me...but you can't use insmod with the 2.6 kernel...I was prepared to try installing module-init-tools with a hd-install, but you can't install it either...the installer is missing a file called knx-templates.0.39.tgz. But it's still cool to try out the new kernel and all.
    I noticed that as well if you have a net connections setup then you need to:
    Code:
    wget http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/insta...lates-0.39.tgz
    cp /usr/sbin/knoppix-installer .
    sudo ./knoppix-installer
    At first I could not figure out how you get it to boot 2.6 from a HD install though I just kept getting a kernel panic no init found no matter what init= I passed so I had to boot with the CD and edit lilo to show a prompt to boot the old kernel. Then I changed to the /boot directory and ran mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz to make a new initrd then changed the initrd= line in the /etc/lilo.conf to initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.1.gz and ran /sbin/lilo -v to write lilo and rebooted and Voila! kernel 2.6 on a HD install.

Edit: And I had to add:
    Code:
    ## Needed for kernel 2.6
    none            /sys            sysfs   defaults                0       0
    To the /etc/fstab as well to get the /sys mount needed for kernel 2.6 the directory /sys already existed so I did no have to create it.
    Stephen I am having a little troulbe with HD install I followed your post but when I CD to "/boot"and run "mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz" I get "/usr/sbin/initrd: /dev/fd does not exist". I checked my mount it shows the floppy and the fstav shows /dev/fd.. When I reboot I get the kernel panic "no initrd found" pass initrd=option ore something to that effect. Can anyone get me past this point?

I'm having trouble turning it to english. I got it booted using expert26 and it runs, but it's all in German still. The only things I was able to change was the keyboard to US style and make the creen larger. Where and when do I type the lang=us?? HELP PLEASE!?

P.S. Not a hard Core computer prson, I can do a lot with them though. Plus Knopix/Linux/Unix is still pretty new to me too.

Also howcome my scroll button on my mouse doesn't work?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakarune
    I'm having trouble turning it to english. I got it booted using expert26 and it runs, but it's all in German still. The only things I was able to change was the keyboard to US style and make the creen larger. Where and when do I type the lang=us?? HELP PLEASE!?

P.S. Not a hard Core computer prson, I can do a lot with them though. Plus Knopix/Linux/Unix is still pretty new to me too.

Also howcome my scroll button on my mouse doesn't work?
    You would type that right after eg expert26 lang=us you need to use the SHIFT and 0 (zero) keys at the same time to get the =.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Cronos55
    Stephen I am having a little troulbe with HD install I followed your post but when I CD to "/boot"and run "mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.1.gz" I get "/usr/sbin/initrd: /dev/fd does not exist". I checked my mount it shows the floppy and the fstav shows /dev/fd.. When I reboot I get the kernel panic "no initrd found" pass initrd=option ore something to that effect. Can anyone get me past this point?
    I did not get that error however looking at the /usr/sbin/mkinitrd it looks like the only places in the file where I find mention of the /dev/fd is here near the bottom of the file and in the very last line.
    Code:
    ROOT=${croot-$ROOT}
    MKIMAGE=${cmkimage-$MKIMAGE}

[ -d /dev/fd ] || {
            echo "$PROG: /dev/fd does not exist" >&2
            exit 1
    }
    You may want to you may want to put a exit 0 in the line and see what that does for you. Either that or try mkdir /dev/fd as root to give it what it is looking for.

Thanks, I was trying to figure it, but no luck.

I'd love to play with the new 2.6 but it neither of these live CD's (knoppix or Overclockix) work with my Nic Card... depressing.

Trouble with FTP!

...hey jdell...

I have tried for the last several days to get into the ftp (68.213.18.23. Everytime I get in and try to download CT, it just sits at ZERO and doesn't move. I've tried with linux and windows machines and with WFTPpro...and get the same problem and result. Do you know what might be wrong. I login anonymously with email address. Do I need to do something else.

PS. ...to everyone...Is anyone else having this problem?

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast