Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The future of klik: GPL

Let's get back on topic here!

...hey guys...

I guess a couple of you guys never understood this forum. It's about the "FUTURE OF KLIK." Now probono ASKED for our ideas (ANY IDEAS) about the future of klik. Now before I posted three issues had already come up.

(1) How to deal with contributors and their recipes?

(2) How to deal with security?

(3) The GPL question about the client?

I am sure other issues will come up but these are the major ones I have seen in the threads. THIS FORUM was started by probono to address these issues and the ones he listed in his first post here.

For myself, I will not be able to help on the first one. For the 2nd issue, I bow before the logic of bfree. Everytime I try to come up with something, he has that plus several more details I didn't consider. bfree, I'm glad you're here. On the 3rd issue, I gave my opinion on how I felt about client being GPLed. As stated before, I am no Linux guru this is just my honest opinion.

Now morglum666 wrote the following:

"I think some of you code monkeys have stepped away a little from reality." "The author is absolutely correct; he wants it running smoothly so that modified copies of the client don't show up on the internet and break his invention." "If you are building something, help contribute to his invention before begging him to GPL it."

I agree with you that probono should have time to get klik up and running. I do not think any of his decisions should be rushed at all. I think that would be a mistake on his part. In fact, if he doesn't want to GPL the client...that's his choice (read my previous post)! But this thread concerns the FUTURE OF KLIK. I only remind you because it seems you have left reality a little bit if you think the GPL issue isn't in the future. And I am not begging him to make it GPL. He asked my opinion (all of ours, in fact) and I gave it to him. Try to make the destinction in the future before slamming someone else's opinion. I respect your's so I hope mine will have the same protection.

Junior Member registered user

klikdeclik Methode !

....Master server<-(Recipes 1,2,3,4...)....
    .........|.....|.........
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server

New Declick project

This one is my own invention, innovation

Declick client/server process functions as follows:

The process is made up of five components ? (1) Master Server (2) Slave Servers (3) Clients (4) Recipes (5) md5sums

The Master Server is the controlling process and acts like a traffic cop (the md5sums is made here). Requests are made from the clients and the Master Server divides the workload among the slave servers. The Slave Servers access the Recipes performing the bulk of the work. Once the client process has been assigned the Slave Server, communications is between the client and Slave Server until the request is complete ( recheck the md5sums on client side with Master Server). Clients can be knoppix or any other nix distribution.

The Master Server handles all Declick requests. If a request is made for a Recipe, the Master Server will return the (link ip or http, ftp...) Slave Server to the client. The client will then establish communications with the Slave Server and get the Recipe and run it on the local machine if the md5sums is OK. It is very important that the client be able to get the link that the Master Server returns. There may be multiple Slave Servers running (1001 slaves), only Master Server will assign a Slave Server to a Client.

* All this is nice heu but i will not help you and the others on this project. I only contribute to FS,GPL projects, sorry about that . so i will probabely do it myself and released under GPL

good luck!

PS: When enclose (gates) start to grow around, we jump and run away from theme.

Senior Member registered user
    ....(Public|Private-Client Data)->Master server<-(Recipes 1,2,3,4...)....
    ......^V......^V.................................. ...........................V............
    ......^V...<encrypt>.............................. .................<certify>......
    .......CD Client<->Master Recipe Sv.|Other Recipe Sv.|Content Sv.

Hi Vick and All,
    I liked your diagram and logic. Let's keep looking at all the possibilities.
    In addition to serving up certified recipes and client recipes, the klik
    server could keep special groups of recipes for the private use of a client.

A private client recipe "PCR" could be as simple as "put my unfinished
    term paper on my desktop and configure my word processor the way I
    like it". This could be automated and done at boot up.

As I suggested in a previous post, the kilk server would not hold the
    actual data -- just recipes to fetch data, configuration files, or
    add on programs. The CD Client would have to purchase web space for
    his documents.

As a business model, the recipes are a "loss leader". These are best
    open source and free. However, free (as in freedom and liberty) does
    not have to mean there is no charge for an account for the PCR space.

Best Wishes
    paradocs
    -------------
    Posted in my Grandfathers Saloon in German:
    Today for Cash, Tomorrow for Free!

Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    As a business model, the recipes are a "loss leader". These are best open source and free. However, free (as in freedom and liberty) does not have to mean there is no charge for an account for the PCR space
    As long as I am concerned, I don't want to charge anyone for anything. In fact, klik came from the idea to have a free alternative to the lindows.com CNR warehouse. Besides that, it would be copied one day after you started charging for it. No, let's keep this thing "free" as in speech *and* as in beer (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by Vick
    ....Master server<-(Recipes 1,2,3,4...)....
    .........|.....|.........
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Client |<->|Slave server
    Now, besides load balancing, what is thre real advantage of this besides adding complexity? sorry, perhaps I'm too simple-minded, but I don't see why we need so much complexity. Trafic is not a problem at all, especially since the recipes are just a few k in size. Security can best be achieved if we have one trusted "master server".

klik is going GPL

OK, you convinced me.
    Thanks for all of your posts that lead me to announce:

=================================================
    klik is going GPL (dual license - like qt)

I think what we should do next is open up a PHP & MySQL server space where we all can work together on the klik server. As I have never done a collaborative PHP project on this scale, how would we do this best? sourceforge cvs acount perhaps?

Or would it be better to integrate the whole thing into a site like kde-apps.org?

Please drop me a line to probono@myrealbox.com if you want to join.

AND

So am I to assume everyone knocking probono before he went GPL is now busy coding and helping out!!!!

Or have things just gone quiet??

Re: klik is going GPL

Quote Originally Posted by probono
    OK, you convinced me.
    Thanks for all of your posts that lead me to announce:

klik is going GPL (dual license - like qt)

I think what we should do next is open up a PHP & MySQL server space where we all can work together on the klik server. As I have never done a collaborative PHP project on this scale, how would we do this best? sourceforge cvs acount perhaps?

Or would it be better to integrate the whole thing into a site like kde-apps.org?

Please drop me a line to probono@myrealbox.com if you want to join.
    I would prefer a CVS (Berlios should have that) and will be going to submit support for other browsers as first ...

It is just nerving me that I can't go to klik to see if I can give a friend the infromation to just use klik or not, becuase I'm using mozilla / firebird / or whatever ... :-/

cu

Fabian

Re: klik is going GPL

Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    I would prefer a CVS (Berlios should have that) and will be going to submit support for other browsers as first ...

It is just nerving me that I can't go to klik to see if I can give a friend the infromation to just use klik or not, becuase I'm using mozilla / firebird / or whatever ... :-/

cu

Fabian
    That would be nice. I don't mind using Konqueror necessarily...but since I generally use Mozilla, it means opening a new app just to check to see if any new packages are available...if I could see them in Mozilla I could bookmark the site and check it more frequently.

Hi all,

I expect that the code for downloading will
    best be perfected for Konqueror. But I agree
    that it would be nice to show the list of growing
    programs in the other browsers.

Best Wishes
    paradocs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast